Lake Mead property owners forced out

Bay_Kat

Tropical
...until shutdown ends

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say they're being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land.

Joyce Spencer is 77-years-old and her husband Ralph is 80. They've been spending most of their time in the family ice cream store since going home isn't an option.

The Spencers never expected to be forced out of their Lake Mead home, which they've owned since the 70s, but on Thursday, a park ranger said they had 24 hours to get out.

Lake Mead property owners forced out until shutdown ends - www.ktnv.com

Seriously, they own their homes, but not the land. It's ridiculous what they are doing for scare tactics. Pathetic.

BOP

...until shutdown ends

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say they're being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land.

Joyce Spencer is 77-years-old and her husband Ralph is 80. They've been spending most of their time in the family ice cream store since going home isn't an option.

The Spencers never expected to be forced out of their Lake Mead home, which they've owned since the 70s, but on Thursday, a park ranger said they had 24 hours to get out.

Lake Mead property owners forced out until shutdown ends - www.ktnv.com

Seriously, they own their homes, but not the land. It's ridiculous what they are doing for scare tactics. Pathetic.

Sounds like Mexico, not the US of A.

itsrequired

I don't like the shut down more than anyone else, but these entitlement freaks bother me. They get a house, likely at a reduced price, and part of the deal is they have to have an alternative residence. Guess what. They don't and now are on t.v. bitching about it. Eff em.

There are real problems with the shut down. There are people who are essentially, endentured servants. Being forced to work with the "promise" of being paid once this is over.

I have no pity for someone who enters into an agreement with someone and is happy about it when it is to their benefit, but once the terms of the agreement are called upon they are crying foul.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have no pity for someone who enters into an agreement with someone and is happy about it when it is to their benefit, but once the terms of the agreement are called upon they are crying foul.

That makes no sense.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, who built the Hoover Dam, began giving away yearly leases on land around Lake Mead at bargain rates to make the place a popular tourist attraction.

In later years, the National Park Service took the land over. That’s who Hitchcock has been writing his yearly rent check to since 1987, when he retired and bought the cabin from the previous owner.

itsrequired

That makes no sense.

What makes no sense? They bought the place at a bargain. The lease tells them they have to have an alternative residence. Now they are unhappy because they can't get to the property and don't have an alternative residence. boo freaking hoo.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What makes no sense? They bought the place at a bargain. The lease tells them they have to have an alternative residence. Now they are unhappy because they can't get to the property and don't have an alternative residence. boo freaking hoo.

Explain..in specific detail...what it is costing the Federal govt for them to remain in homes that they pay for?

You sound like a bitter low-income type who hates on anyone that has a lifestyle you could never afford. Just sayin'...

itsrequired

Explain..in specific detail...what it is costing the Federal govt for them to remain in homes that they pay for?

You sound like a bitter low-income type who hates on anyone that has a lifestyle you could never afford. Just sayin'...

It seems to me their lifestyle is affordable because they got it at a bargain. I paid full price for my home.

I have no idea what it is costing the federal government for them to remain in their home, nor do I have any desire to find our and give it to you in specific detail.

What I do know, is they entered into an agreement. The agreement said they had to have an alternative home. Now they are b*tching because they have to find somewhere else to live.

There are a lot of people out here who are being forced to work for the federal government who aren't getting paid a dime. Those are the stories I have empathy for, not someone who has to go live elsewhere because they got a deal and now don't like the full terms of the deal.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have no idea what it is costing the federal government for them to remain in their home, nor do I have any desire to find our and give it to you in specific detail.

'bout what I figured you would say. Can't take the wind out of a great outrage sail.:killingme

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There are a lot of people out here who are being forced to work for the federal government who aren't getting paid a dime.

Like all those Park Service employees..being ordered to close landscape features that have never required a dime to stay open (many of which even generate revenue) and have never been closed for shutdowns before the petulant tantrum-throwing child-king became president..you mean. :buddies:

itsrequired

Like all those Park Service employees..being ordered to close landscape features that have never required a dime to stay open (many of which even generate revenue) and have never been closed for shutdowns before the petulant tantrum-throwing child-king became president..you mean. :buddies:

Yea, them! :buddies:

Rommey

I don't like the shut down more than anyone else, but these entitlement freaks bother me. They get a house, likely at a reduced price, and part of the deal is they have to have an alternative residence. Guess what. They don't and now are on t.v. bitching about it. Eff em.

There are real problems with the shut down. There are people who are essentially, endentured servants. Being forced to work with the "promise" of being paid once this is over.

Just curious, where did you find the details of their lease?