GOP slams 'failed' US raid in Somalia

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"Republicans on Tuesday criticized the aborted Navy SEAL weekend raid in Somalia as a “failure.”

The special forces team was sent in to grab an al Shabaab commander suspected of plotting attacks in Kenya but aborted the mission because of concerns they could harm civilians.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) slammed the Pentagon's failure to capture Abdulkadir Mohamed Abdulkadir – also known as Ikrima – during a hearing on the way forward in Somalia.

“The fact is that it was a failure,” McCain said. “The fact is that it was an intelligence failure there, otherwise the mission would have been completed.”

McCain was particularly peeved about having to find out the details from The Washington Post and other news sources.

Media reports suggest the SEALs encountered “greater resistance than they had anticipated,” he told Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Africa Amanda Dory. “Is that an accurate description?”

Dory refused to answer in an unclassified setting, prompting Mccain's ire.

“We have to have information in secured settings but it's OK for the media,” McCain answered. “Don't be surprised, Ms. Dori, when there's skepticism here about the activities that you engage in.”

Sen. Jeff Flake (Ariz.), the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations subpanel on Africa, likewise expressed concern about the mission.

“How does that affect our policy going forward — what challenges does that present to us to have another failed raid into the country?” Flake asked. “Does that embolden al Shabaab?”

Dory didn't answer that question either. "

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Why do we, as John and Jane Q. Public even know ANYTHING about what our SpecOps operators do with 72-96 hours of liberty?

tommyjo

2 people do not represent the GOP. Especially no John "neocon" McCain.

Interesting...I look forward to reading the same post from you the next time GRUPS or BCP make similar blanket statements regarding an entire group using one person or one data point.

MMDad

Lem Putt
“The fact is that it was a failure,” McCain said. “The fact is that it was an intelligence failure there, otherwise the mission would have been completed.”

What a biased piece of crap.

He slammed the piss poor planning that prevented the raid from being successful, and he's right. He did not criticize the SEALs, he criticized the pencil pushers who failed to do their job. It's yet another attempt to deflect blame from those who deserve it by using the strawman that any criticism is aimed at the SEALs.

MarieB

Why do we, as John and Jane Q. Public even know ANYTHING about what our SpecOps operators do with 72-96 hours of liberty?

Yes

Too much talk in this administration about these kinds of operations. It's like Hollywood

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“We have to have information in secured settings but it's OK for the media,” McCain answered. “Don't be surprised, Ms. Dori, when there's skepticism here about the activities that you engage in.”

ofc the administration is playing games

Chris0nllyn

Interesting...I look forward to reading the same post from you the next time GRUPS or BCP make similar blanket statements regarding an entire group using one person or one data point.

And I'll look forward to a post where you aren't condescending, and where you actually present information to back your claims.

:buddies:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits

Since you aren't obviously from the community, just how does politics, especially this President, benefit the specops community?