Caddy Plug-In

Cadillac's plug-in car to cost $76,000 - Oct. 11, 2013

When the Cadillac ELR goes on sale early next year, prices for the two-door plug-in car will start at $75,995. Factoring in a $7,500 federal tax credit for plug in vehicles, the ELR will effectively cost about $68,500.

At that price, the ELR would cost somewhat more than the fully electric Tesla Model S. A Tesla with a 265 mile driving range costs $72,400, after the tax credit, while one with a 208 mile range costs just $62,400.

What I don't get at all, is why all of these electric vehicles are top of the line and so frikkin' expensive. It would seem to me that if you wanted people to buy electric, you need to offer a decent entry-level, reasonably priced vehicle. I cannot believe they don't have the tech and smarts to build an electric car that the average person can afford, and would want.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Cadillac's plug-in car to cost $76,000 - Oct. 11, 2013

What I don't get at all, is why all of these electric vehicles are top of the line and so frikkin' expensive. It would seem to me that if you wanted people to buy electric, you need to offer a decent entry-level, reasonably priced vehicle. I cannot believe they don't have the tech and smarts to build an electric car that the average person can afford, and would want.

I don't want one, regardless of price. But I'm not an average person. :biggrin:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What I don't get at all, is why all of these electric vehicles are top of the line and so frikkin' expensive.

It would seem to me that if you wanted people to buy electric, you need to offer a decent entry-level, reasonably priced vehicle.

I cannot believe they don't have the tech and smarts to build an electric car that the average person can afford, and would want.

I'd take the Tesla over the Caddy any day

Technology costs money .... the IC Engine has been around more than 100 yrs ... electric cars almost as long, but the newer battery tech in mass quantities is very expensive ....

even retrofitting a 10 yr old car with lead acid batteries and a large enough DC Motor can cost 15,000 and you might make it to wal-mart before needing a recharge ...

and yes I agree with your sentiment ..
... if the FED really wants to subsidize this ..
.... give the damn things away in a lottery 1000 Teslas awarded to people who drive over 50 miles to work [one way ] every day each year

even the hybrids to people who drive 5 miles to base ..
.... how much gas is wasted sitting in traffic 70 min to go 5 miles ...

glhs837

Power with Control
They do offer smaller more "Affordable" EVs, of course, affrodable means they would cost 35-36K before we, in our stupid generosity, give buyers $7,500. So, instead, for 27K, you get a car in the Neon size class that wont drive $100 miles before needing a multi-hour recharge.

Compare 2013 Chevrolet Cruze vs 2013 Dodge Dart vs 2013 Ford Fusion vs 2013 Honda Civic - Kelley Blue Book

Shows four larger, better cars in that same price range of better, any one of which will take you 200 miles of better before a 2 minute fillup will take you another 200 miles.

As commuter cars for folks who can use a second car just for commuting, they can work. But for a family who needs one car, no EV is a functional item. Take away the subsudy, and Katy bar the door, you are buying some serious nice cars instead of these stupid things.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So, instead, for 27K, you get a car in the Neon size class that wont drive $100 miles before needing a multi-hour recharge.

that would get me back and forth to work every day [22 miles one way]
my Saturn still gets 30 MPG Average after a 5 MPG hit when we went to E15 year round

this would just shift the cost from BJ's to Pepco ... unless I put up a Solar Charging Station

glhs837

Power with Control
that would get me back and forth to work every day [22 miles one way]
my Saturn still gets 30 MPG Average after a 5 MPG hit when we went to E15 year round

this would just shift the cost from BJ's to Pepco ... unless I put up a Solar Charging Station

As does the kiddos 91 Geo Strom GSi with it's 130hp motor. Which cost $700.

glhs837

Power with Control
Me, I love new cars, of course my newest is a 2006, but it's as loaded with comfort and safety systems as they came back then, I do use a lot of rentals on trips, and I do appreciate a good gadget, and modern safety systems simply cannot be beat. The ABS on my bike is great. And any modern Focus or Civic will come with better crash protections than your Saturn or my Geo and can be had with sophisticated systems to help keep you from getting into one in the first place. Systems that simply do things no human driver can do.

So there are arguments to be made for newer cars, but trying to make a case for a young family using an EV as a sole source transportation solution is a nononstarter. Even with the taxpayers sweetening the deal by almost %20 of the total purchase price. :cds: