Nuke the Asteroids

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm never quite sure where to put my science info. I need a science forum. :ohwell:

Anyway - this is really neat, but scary. It seems the Russians are working with us to put a bunch of mega-ton nukes into space to blow up potential asteroids aimed for earth.

Now this is neat because of all the technology and the joint mission, and even some of the research. Not to mention one guy has an asteroid named after him and well isn't that just cool?!!

But it's scary to think there are so many nukes up there in space. What if they misfire and hit us? What if they hit an asteroid and make things worse trajectory wise? all kinds of what ifs...

Anyway - longish but interesting article if you are into that kind of thing. :nerd:

A real nuclear deterrent: US, Russia may team up to use weapons against asteroids - Investigations

Excerpt:
After Edward Teller, father of the hydrogen bomb, urged others meeting at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to consider building and orbiting huge, new nuclear weapons for planetary protection, some top Russian weaponeers lent their support.

“It was a really bizarre thing to see that these weapons designers were willing to work together -- to build the biggest bombs ever,” said Melosh, an expert in space impacts who has an asteroid named after him.

Last edited:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Here's a photo of them testing it!

Attachments

• asteroids.jpg
    asteroids.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 131

DEEKAYPEE8569

I'm never quite sure where to put my science info. I need a science forum. :ohwell:

Anyway - this is really neat, but scary. It seems the Russians are working with us to put a bunch of mega-ton nukes into space to blow up potential asteroids aimed for earth.

Now this is neat because of all the technology and the joint mission, and even some of the research. Not to mention one guy has an asteroid named after him and well isn't that just cool?!!

But it's scary to think there are so many nukes up there in space. What if they misfire and hit us? What if they hit an asteroid and make things worse trajectory wise? all kinds of what ifs...

Anyway - longish but interesting article if you are into that kind of thing. :nerd:

A real nuclear deterrent: US, Russia may team up to use weapons against asteroids - Investigations

Excerpt:
After Edward Teller, father of the hydrogen bomb, urged others meeting at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to consider building and orbiting huge, new nuclear weapons for planetary protection, some top Russian weaponeers lent their support.

“It was a really bizarre thing to see that these weapons designers were willing to work together -- to build the biggest bombs ever,” said Melosh, an expert in space impacts who has an asteroid named after him.

"Armageddon" - the movie.....could happen.
It's not Photon Torpedoes and Phasers; it's nukes in space, to prevent a possible global catastrophe.
If you think about it, it might actually be possible to discover a fault line in an approaching asteroid, drill a hole along that fault line somehow; either with drones or actual warm bodies and plant a nuke to either blow it up completely, or separate it to miss Earth, if the asteroid was big enough.

glhs837

Power with Control
Pew! Pew!

Like this ?

Also, have the James Bond folks piad for this press release? I mean really, it's like any action movie makers dream come true. And to get as bit nerdy, is the beginning of the CoDominium?

Attachments

• Pew-Pew-Pew-Fire-Selector-Switch-Markings-AR15-M16-M4.jpg
    Pew-Pew-Pew-Fire-Selector-Switch-Markings-AR15-M16-M4.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 125

DEEKAYPEE8569

Like this ?

Also, have the James Bond folks piad for this press release? I mean really, it's like any action movie makers dream come true. And to get as bit nerdy, is the beginning of the CoDominium?

Looks like an ollld, excuse me, vintage pistol.
THEN I read the caption. Nebber Mindb.....

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Of course, radiation and radioactive material entering earth's atmosphere aren't a problem. :coffee:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Of course, radiation and radioactive material entering earth's atmosphere aren't a problem. :coffee:

That part delves into the "Zero Barrier," to quote Armageddon.

If it was actually possible to destroy or "split" an approaching asteroid to keep it from striking Earth, it (the asteroid) would have to be far enough away from/out of our atmosphere to prevent the entrance of radio active anything. But, if the asteroid breeches some set distance before something could be done to prevent an impact, it's put your head between your legs and kiss you a** goodbye.

Not sure why the Russians are so anxious to do this. I mean, it's not like they have had any close calls lately or anything.....

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
That's taken care of by the earth's magnetic field, otherwise we'd be fried by gamma bursts from the sun

Not so much, in the case of Alpha particles and radioactive meteorite fragments. But, if it's all small stuff, the danger is minimal anyway.

GregV814

shouldn't an asteroid be named for a protuberance in the rectal vicinity, while the floating rocks in space be called hemmeroid??? They can cover a hemisphere.....just a weird thought...