New poll: 58% favor marijuana legalization

Chris0nllyn

For the first time, a clear majority of Americans say they favor legalizing marijuana, as recreational and medical use of the drug gains acceptance across the nation, a poll released on Tuesday showed.

The Gallup poll found that 58 percent of those surveyed favored marijuana legalization, up from 50 percent two years ago. By contrast, when Gallup first asked the question in 1969, only 12 percent favored allowing the drug.

For first time, most Americans favor legalizing marijuana: poll | Yahoo Health

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
I prefer decriminalization, not legalization.

But then of course the government wouldn't get their taste, which of course is what legalization is all about.

Silly lefties, needing their government to give them permission for EVERYTHING.

bcp

In My Opinion
I prefer decriminalization, not legalization.

But then of course the government wouldn't get their taste, which of course is what legalization is all about.

Silly lefties, needing their government to give them permission for EVERYTHING.

oh no, if it is made legal, or even decriminalized (which is basically the same thing) I would like to see the taxes on it high enough (pun there) to cover any drug related health issue, or crime, including property damage, without any help from any other source.

I dont think its asking too much for people to pay to keep their own playground clean.

Caution

Crap I hope they do legalize it. I used to take care of teenage foster children and I know a few partook. No telling what they have stashed and forgot about or just plain lost in this house.

I doubt the police would ever have any reason to worry about what was in my house but it would be nice to know if something was to happen and they found something stuck somewhere that I was not going to go to jail or loose my house over it.

Chris0nllyn

oh no, if it is made legal, or even decriminalized (which is basically the same thing) I would like to see the taxes on it high enough (pun there) to cover any drug related health issue, or crime, including property damage, without any help from any other source.

I dont think its asking too much for people to pay to keep their own playground clean.

Having too high of a tax will do the opposite.

Folks won't be going to the local store for high taxed pot, when they can get it from the "black market" or grow it themselves.

they are going through this issue in Colorado right now.

Will Legal Pot Cost More Than Black-Market Pot? - Reason.com

Larry Gude

Strung Out

If the taxes are really high on it, wouldn't the existing production and distribution chains just stay in business? Wouldn't the same profit motive remain with fear of jail being the driving force behind price being replaced with fear of high taxes being the driving force for price?

And why in the flying ####ing hell do right wingers, people ostensibly on my side, anti tax, pro limited government, government can't do much of anything right types, suddenly become these 'tax it and control it!' types when it comes to dope?????

:lol:

bcp

In My Opinion
If the taxes are really high on it, wouldn't the existing production and distribution chains just stay in business? Wouldn't the same profit motive remain with fear of jail being the driving force behind price being replaced with fear of high taxes being the driving force for price?

And why in the flying ####ing hell do right wingers, people ostensibly on my side, anti tax, pro limited government, government can't do much of anything right types, suddenly become these 'tax it and control it!' types when it comes to dope?????

:lol:

Gee I dont know Larry, why should someone that is totally against it be asked to share in the expense of fixing it when it breaks.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Gee I dont know Larry, why should someone that is totally against it be asked to share in the expense of fixing it when it breaks.

Well, let me rephrase.

Do you think the government that you and I both don't think works very well with the money it takes now is going to suddenly do a better job with some dope tax?

Point being, if it doesn't do any better AND the tax is so high that the illicit market simply remains, what's the point of being a supporter of higher (no pun intended) taxes? Ever?

Homeland

Weren't there illegal alcohol networks and aren't the taxes on alcohol high, but comparitively speaking you really don't find many illegal alcohol distributors?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Weren't there illegal alcohol networks and aren't the taxes on alcohol high, but comparitively speaking you really don't find many illegal alcohol distributors?

You mean now? Not a whole lot of incentive to distil a $20 bottle of booze to save maybe $3 in taxes.

bcp

In My Opinion
Individual liberty is dead.

You are correct.
Im all for people doing whatever it is they want,, as long as there is no way I can be financially or personally impacted by it.

I could not care less if someone drinks till their liver rots, just don't ask me to pay higher insurance rates because of it. Or don't ask me to accept that they might run into me on the road and kill me or my family.
Same with drugs, If someone wants to inject heroin into their body, more power to them, but don't ask me to pay through taxes for their related treatments or medical care when the OD.

Personal liberty is fine, just don't expect the taxpayer to pay when your/their choices end up costing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You are correct.
Im all for people doing whatever it is they want,, as long as there is no way I can be financially or personally impacted by it.

I could not care less if someone drinks till their liver rots, just don't ask me to pay higher insurance rates because of it. Or don't ask me to accept that they might run into me on the road and kill me or my family.
Same with drugs, If someone wants to inject heroin into their body, more power to them, but don't ask me to pay through taxes for their related treatments or medical care when the OD.

Personal liberty is fine, just don't expect the taxpayer to pay when your/their choices end up costing.

How much government favor would you be willing to give up to achieve this?

edinsomd

Crap I hope they do legalize it. I used to take care of teenage foster children and I know a few partook. No telling what they have stashed and forgot about or just plain lost in this house.

I doubt the police would ever have any reason to worry about what was in my house but it would be nice to know if something was to happen and they found something stuck somewhere that I was not going to go to jail or loose my house over it.

Call up Sherriff Tim, tell him your story, and ask for a courtesy search. Did that every time I bought a used car. That was base police, back in the day, but they were happy to provide the service for me, and it was more training for the dog team. Win-win!

Chris0nllyn

They are all over the place in Alaska.

Where alcohol is expensive and/or banned in some towns.

Caution

Call up Sherriff Tim, tell him your story, and ask for a courtesy search. Did that every time I bought a used car. That was base police, back in the day, but they were happy to provide the service for me, and it was more training for the dog team. Win-win!

I probably could now. I tried this once before but it was while I had a Foster Kid living here.

What had happened was they ran the dogs through the school. Dog hit on his locker. He happened to be coming down the hallway and saw this so he ran. Apparently he had stuff in his locker.

Later, the school calls me and tells me what happened and if he comes home I should call them and the Police. So I go in his room and start searching. Find some pot and a whole bunch of little bitty ziplock baggies. So I call the police, explain what happened at school and what I did and found.

They send an officer out and I show him what I found and request they bring the dogs in the search for anything I might have missed. He calls somebody and while he is on the phone with them he is relaying what they are telling him and they are saying they can not run a dog through his room because that is "his living space", even though it is in my house. Apparently they could not do that without a court order.

I even told them I was not going to allow him to come back here and called Social Services to have him put somewhere else but they still would not do it until his place of residence showed up in there system as being somewhere else.

But now, seeing that he is gone, It might be worth a shot again. LOL I would not be surprised at all if He or one of the other kids don't have something around here.

Might just have to do as you suggest. Thanks