Feral cat houses?

sm8

Is this something a cat would really use? When we first got our feral cat I could never of imagined him going into something like this.

Attachments

• IMG_7672654454926.jpg
    IMG_7672654454926.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 504

glhs837

Power with Control
Are you sure thats for adopted feral cats, or for people to place outside for cats still in a feral state to use to avoid freezing to death?

Colinsgrandma

I have seen those for true feral cats, they will use them. I actually had a feral cat using it, it took months but I gained her trust and she has been in our home for two years now.

Rt235

No emergency exit incase of attack...plastic sweats...those wooden ones are better....
Our barn cat has a barn, well actually an Amish shed, but some cat folks wanted us to use that plastic tote.
We declined, and built a wooden dog house type shelter...with a one way escape hatch in the back! We were told to use straw instead of hay also.
Now our 3 barn cats (...dont ask, I have no idea what #2 and 3 came from), all share the "Cat House" as I call it! :killingme

Rt235

K&H Pet Products Outdoor Unheated Kitty House

This one has the back exit in case they get trapped. We've actually been thinking of this ourselves because we have 1 cat that just plain refuses to come inside. I hate that she is like this but there is not much we can do about it.

I like the link you posted. I am sorry (dont like) that you cat wont come inside. Maybe this house will work! I am passing this on to the wife to consider and agree to!! Thanks!:buddies:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I believe we can get the K&H products. We carry their dog car seats. PM if you want me to get more info.

Would you mind finding out and posting that information? I know for a fact that many people are caring for outside cats now more than ever because the shelters have been so overbooked. :ohwell:

My husband has the skills to built one but not so much the time and it is getting cold fast. Her willingness to come inside all changed when I brought the newest addition in. I don't know why... we've tried everything but right now, she only comes in to eat and back to the door she goes whining & crying to go out. At least if she has a house to go to, I would feel better about it.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Would you mind finding out and posting that information? I know for a fact that many people are caring for outside cats now more than ever because the shelters have been so overbooked. :ohwell:

My husband has the skills to built one but not so much the time and it is getting cold fast. Her willingness to come inside all changed when I brought the newest addition in. I don't know why... we've tried everything but right now, she only comes in to eat and back to the door she goes whining & crying to go out. At least if she has a house to go to, I would feel better about it.

I have a call in to my distributor. Hope to have an answer soon.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I know this is an unpopular and seemingly unfeeling question.

Doesn't "feral" mean they don't use houses?

:shrug:

And if they do, doesn't that mean they're not feral anymore?

Roman

No, it doesn't seem unfeeling or uncaring. Feral Cats do appreciate a safe place from the weather. Even though they are feral, they do use them. When I first moved to my house 14 years ago, there were several Out Buildings that had about 30 feral Cats nesting in them. We provided the Hay, and some water & food. Eventually, we got all of them spayed/neutered, and found homes for them. We kept 4 that ended up being the best animals. Good hunters too.

frequentflier

happy to be living

I feed some feral cats. They will occasionally let me touch them and one will let me pet him through a fence opening. They are friendly to a few others that feed them. But they are feral in every sense of the word.

They reward me with an occasional dead mouse :)

A rescue put out boxes similar to the ones in the original post and I am not sure they used them last year. I plan to go into the area and place them again since it is getting cold out. Plus the area they are in is where SMECO is putting some big honking poles. Much of their stomping grounds has been bulldozed already and when they bring the big machines in- the cats are going to be freaked. I hope they see the boxes as a safe place to go.

I know of several large managed colonies that use the boxes and the cats use them to get out of the elements. From what I understand, most feral cats in colonies generally stick together and sleep together and keep each other warm.

I know many people criticize people that feed ferals but I receive great joy when they reward me with a dead mouse or let me pet them. BTW, they all have been vetted, are healthy and are not reproducing.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

and doesn't providing them shelter increase their chance of reproducing which increases the problem?

frequentflier

happy to be living
and doesn't providing them shelter increase their chance of reproducing which increases the problem?

Cats that have not been vetted are going to reproduce whether or not they have shelter.

In this area, many groups & many individual people are getting these cats spayed, neutered and tested for disease. They are euthanized if they are found to be diseased.

aps, I do wish you would just stay out of the cat threads because traditionally, you have nothing good to say and just try to get a reaction from those of us that love cats; whether they are feral or tamed.

I will not engage with you or defend my appreciation for the species or others that feel the same way I do.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, had some of the ferals by my old house that I got spayed. Haven't asked the tenant if he has seen them around. None out here in the woods that I have seen.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If you get them, I'll buy one or two. I'm feeding a feral now behind my house.

Neither distributor that carries the K&H products has the unheated version of the cat house. All the K&H products available to me are heated including beds and houses.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
One of the vets I work with feeds the ferals where she lives... they all have been altered!!

and she has some non heated "kitty" houses out there and they love them!!!!

many outdoor cats know how to regulate their body temp.... so it doesnt need to be heated... just sheltered from the wind getting in there!

I built my outdoor cat his own insulated house. I started with the "Animal Planet" rainproof dog house. It is made of the same tent material humans use. I then purchased a sheet of the green insulation board used when building houses. It is lightweight and has a great rating for holding in the heat. I cut it to size so that I had three layers on the bottom of the house and then single layer for the three sides, then double layer for the top. All pieces were "glued" in place to the inside of the tent house using a can of the expanding insulating foam. Once it set up I used duct tape to seal all edges to prevent drafts. I then put a box in the house filled with cedar shavings like one uses for hamster bedding. This gives my cat a warm heat retaining bedding and it is also easily replaced/refreshed as the need arises. We keep his house under the decking of the back of our house. This protects him from the wind and also provides additional protection from smow and rain. He's been using that house for several winters now and though I worry about him when our temps take a big drop below freezing, I feel much better when I see him come out of his house and he is "steaming" as the warmth from his body hits the cold air... that let's me know he's had a good night's sleep in a house warm enough to keep his body temp at a safe and cozy level.