Good home builders in Southern Maryland

B

bhanks

I'm getting ready to start the research process of looking into building a new home. I wanted to start by getting opinions of those who lived around the county....

Can you tell me if you've heard stories (good and bad) about particular builders? I've heard about two of the area builders--both Liberty and Quality Built Homes -- but I'm sure there are many more out there.

If you've built a home in the area (or are familiar with someone else's experience), can you tell me if you're satisfied with it? Did the builder do everything that was promised? Were dates held to? (In other words, if they said it would be ready in 6 months, was it?)

I really appreciate the feedback -- hopefully many of us will benefit from this thread!

B

bhanks

Whoops! I also wanted to ask everyone if they know of any particular communities that they feel are good, safe neighborhoods. (There's so much new construction, it's hard to stay on top of it all!)

B

bhanks

huntr1--Thanks for letting me know. I'll do the search...but since the thread was last year, it might still help to get some info on what's new out there.

B

bhanks

Truhome Builders--Did you have a good experience with them?

C

czygvtwkr

Alot of my coworkers went Quality Home Builders....they are good as long as they stick to the 4 or 5 houses that they know how to build.

As for dates, I can't recall anyone I know building a new house that wasn't 6 months to a year behind schedule.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by czygvtwkr

As for dates, I can't recall anyone I know building a new house that wasn't 6 months to a year behind schedule.
You can say that again.

CMC122

Go Braves!
IMO If you can find an older home in good condition go for it. House's are built like crap these days. The material sucks and it's always quantity not quality.

If you compare a 2x4 from 20 or 30 years ago to a 2 x 4 from today you'd be amazed at the difference.

B

bhanks

cariblue Thanks for the info--does Ripple Brothers have a web site that I can check out?

lfquade

Originally posted by bhanks
Truhome Builders--Did you have a good experience with them?

Have seen some of the houses they have built and also my step-dad works for Truhome. I'm sure they are a lot of different good builders to chose from, but I just gave you info I know of. Good luck.

Gallntfox

Quality Built Homes

I settled on a Quality Built Home last year....I feel that the home was well-built but they did not stick to time frames promised..communication was horrible... and after speaking to the owner about issues I was left with the impression that he was a condescending jerk. They made the process much more difficult and stressful than it needed to be. They are not good about following up on things (things promised on my house still are not done a year later and many neighbors are in the same boat) The positives....a nice home that has greatly appreciated but even so I would NEVER use Quality Built Homes to build me another home due to their sorry customer service. If you want a nice home and don't mind getting yanked around...go for it.

Jameo

What?!
Quality Built Homes :boo: :boo:

I used to help clean the new homes for Quality. I would NEVER buy one of their homes. We used to call them Quality Bulit Huts! :boo: Occastionaly, the home owner would stop in when we were their cleaning and I would say about 75% of the owners were not very satisified with them.:ohwell:

B

bhanks

What about new communities in the area? Does anyone know about any up-and-coming neighborhoods? It seems like whenever I hear about new developments, half of the to-be-built homes are already spoken for. :ohwell: Oh well!

What I'd like to do is find out how THEY find out where the new stuff is. I really like Chestnut Hills, for example, (would LOVE to build there) but it appears to be completely built out. I checked out a couple of homes that are for sale (built in the last few years) and the prices are pretty high--in the $400K range.

Even the new one--St. James is filling up fast. (Is anyone building there? I'd love your opinion...)

So, I'd love the scoop! Does anyone know of any new communities that may be priced in the $300s?
Thanks!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There is a new development going up in Hollywood. Can't remember the name, but it is off 235 on the southbound side, but north of Sotterley Road. I think there is another on Hollywood Road near Dorsey Park too.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by RoseRed
There is a new development going up in Hollywood. Can't remember the name, but it is off 235 on the southbound side, but north of Sotterley Road. I think there is another on Hollywood Road near Dorsey Park too.
I heard the one near Dorsey Park has 57 on th list for 40 lots. The houses start around $350,000

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by bhanks
So, I'd love the scoop! Does anyone know of any new communities that may be priced in the $300s?
Thanks!!
Well, if you like the north end of the county there's this house. It's in my neighborhood. Which is decent. I haven't actually seen this house, but the builder is D&E, which I've heard good things about. It's the last house they built in this 'hood and I think they are motivated to sell because they are done. That could prove to be a negative, however, when it comes to getting them to come back and fix things. :shrug:

B

bhanks

I'm especially interested in the places that have lots of trees. (Love the tucked away feeling that the wooded lots bring.) Do you know if the new developments in Hollywood are like this?

B

bhanks

Dymphna -- I've heard of the name Lavender Estates, but I'm not sure where it's located? Is it right off the 5? (I'd like to take a drive through the community at some point.) Thanks for letting me know about this being the last house--I think you're right about there being some motivation to build it quickly!