Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Crock pot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NextJen View Post
    I cooked a chuck roast in my crock pot a couple weeks ago. On the bottom was baby carrots, quartered red potatoes, and big chunks of celery and onion, then the roast was placed on top of the veggies. I poured in a 'Beer for Breakfast Stout' (I knew I'd get rid of that beer somehow), and sprinkled on some salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I set it up the evening before I cooked it and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. Had my other-half pull it out of the 'frige before he went to work and set the crock on low to cook away until I got home (cooked for about 7 hours).
    That sounds really good. I do chuck roast the same way, but never thought to pour beer over it. I usually dump a can of Rotel on top.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    That sounds really good. I do chuck roast the same way, but never thought to pour beer over it. I usually dump a can of Rotel on top.
    I forgot to mention that I also put in some fresh sliced white mushrooms. The juice in the pot from the beer and the meat drippings was awesome. I should have saved it to make gravy later when I was doing some mashed potatoes. For future crock pot roasts, I think I'll leave out the quartered potatoes in the crock and do a side of mashed potatoes so I don't waste any of that gravy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    Its not a chuck roast, but a london broil in the freezer, you think it would still work using your recipe? Hubby wants it for dinner on Sunday.
    London Broil is actually not a cut of meat but the way it is cooked - marinated then broiled and finally sliced thin. But its meaning has morphed into implying a cut of meat and is used incorrectly to denote cuts from the top round:

London Broil: The name of the finished dish, not the cut of meat. Butchers will use the name London Broil for flank steak, top round steak or top blade steak.
    As such used, it is a leaner piece of meat than the bottom round but still a fairly tough cut of beef. It should work fine in the recipe I posted.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/about/beef-round-cuts-818

Registered User luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Well, I decided to marinate the LB in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and liquid smoke. Sat for 24 hours in the fridge. Took it out of the marinade, coated it with coarse sea salt and coarse ground pepper, wrapped in foll, put on a 250 degree grill for 3 hours. It was delicious and juicy. Had baked potatoes and fresh squash with it. Highly recommend cooking it this way.

Members who have read this thread: 43