chicken is lame, cage rest 3 weeks no help

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
One of my Red Sex Link chickens (from Tractor Supply 2012) came up lame about 3 weeks ago. I checked her over but I can't find any injury that I can SEE. I kept her in the same pen but separate in a cage with bedding/food/water for the past few weeks and she is STILL lame. I let her out anyway today so she can get some exercise at least. I wonder if the big rooster in there could have injured her leg/hip (he is 3 times their size)? He's is young and a bit inexperienced, so I think he may be a bit rough on the hens (ok guys stop your brain from thinking FUNNY STUFF to say). I am truly concerned, and I want to do the right thing for her.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
One of my Red Sex Link chickens (from Tractor Supply 2012) came up lame about 3 weeks ago. I checked her over but I can't find any injury that I can SEE. I kept her in the same pen but separate in a cage with bedding/food/water for the past few weeks and she is STILL lame. I let her out anyway today so she can get some exercise at least. I wonder if the big rooster in there could have injured her leg/hip (he is 3 times their size)? He's is young and a bit inexperienced, so I think he may be a bit rough on the hens (ok guys stop your brain from thinking FUNNY STUFF to say). I am truly concerned, and I want to do the right thing for her.
I'd say let her roam.. her walking, running and movong around is always best. If she doesn't get better her roaming will help in her compensating for it..

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'd say let her roam.. her walking, running and movong around is always best. If she doesn't get better her roaming will help in her compensating for it..

Chickens have a way of beating down the injured ones, however the 5 Red Sex Links are THE dominant group in that pen (they are like a little chicken gang I tell you), so I am pretty sure she can hold her own despite being injured, but I'll watch them closely just in case.

I do have another hen in there with a BIG attitude that walks with a limp from an old injury I nursed her through. She does just fine so I can only hope this one will adapt as well if she is permanently injured. Going out to check on them now.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
As I expected, she somehow jumped up into one of the nesting boxes to sleep. Not far off the ground, but now I know to pad that one with some extra bedding, and clean it out daily.

ladyhawk

I had a hen that was limping and it got progressively worse, to the point she was hopping around on one leg. In researching, I found something called bumblefoot which can be caused by jumping down off high perching areas. I brought her in on the porch. Soaked her feet in Warm Epsom Salts baths daily (30 mins) for about two and a half weeks. From what I read the soaking brings the infection to the surface. Never had to lance it thank god... She was back out with the rest of the flock three weeks later. Try the epsom salt baths.. : )

ladyhawk

I had a hen that was limping and it got progressively worse, to the point she was hopping around on one leg. In researching, I found something called bumblefoot which can be caused by jumping down off high perching areas. I brought her in on the porch. Soaked her feet in Warm Epsom Salts baths daily (30 mins) for about two and a half weeks. From what I read the soaking brings the infection to the surface. Never had to lance it thank god... She was back out with the rest of the flock three weeks later. Try the epsom salt baths.. : )

PS.. I thought the same thing you did with the rooster having been too rough!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Chickens have a way of beating down the injured ones, however the 5 Red Sex Links are THE dominant group in that pen (they are like a little chicken gang I tell you), so I am pretty sure she can hold her own despite being injured, but I'll watch them closely just in case.

I do have another hen in there with a BIG attitude that walks with a limp from an old injury I nursed her through. She does just fine so I can only hope this one will adapt as well if she is permanently injured. Going out to check on them now.

Found a message that somebody local has Marans they need to get rid of... here's hoping.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

I actually have an older hen that suffers from BumbleFoot and I never thought to inspect the bottom of the current inured one's feet in bright light. I will check her feet with a light when I get home.

I do warm water foot baths to unclog the feet of Big Mama - she gets the black hard spot that I have to remove (comes out easier if I soak her foot to soften it) and sadly it just forms again and again. If I don't remove the bad spot I understand the staph infection can get into her bloodstream and kill her. I saw information online about lancing the area but I didn't have the nerve to do it, so I took Big Mama to a vet initially (he did medical work in Poultry before) and the vet showed me how to clean the feet with water to get the black spots off w/o lancing.

I do have another hen that has a lump on one of her feet that soaking so far hasn't helped. It broke open at some point and the other hens pecked at it and cleaned it out <G>. Then I cleaned and wrapped her foot with tape that matched the color of her leg so the other hens wouldn't notice it as easily to peck at it. Yeah I'm trying to out-smart a chicken lol.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
It would be a good meal for arkie when she is smowed in. :coffee:

hey look, I already feel guilty when I eat chicken that I don't know, so there is no way I can eat one of mine. I had to kill an injured one to stop her suffering. It was a horrible day and I cried. I can still see that scenario in my mind and I hope I never have to do that again. Now stop making me sad :smack: .

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
hey look, I already feel guilty when I eat chicken that I don't know, so there is no way I can eat one of mine. I had to kill an injured one to stop her suffering. It was a horrible day and I cried. I can still see that scenario in my mind and I hope I never have to do that again. Now stop making me sad :smack: .

Did you chop the head off and watch the body run around? :coffee:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
:coffee:

Is this the lunch thread...... :drool:.... i all of a sudden crave fried chicken... :yum:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:coffee:

Is this the lunch thread...... :drool:.... i all of a sudden crave fried chicken... :yum:

I'm craving Roy Rogers, but I'm far from one now. All I have on my desk for lunch is an apple, half a slice of Walls cake, and some seedless red grapes. I have a feeling I'll be hitting RR on my way home today? Mmmm.

Roman

I actually have an older hen that suffers from BumbleFoot and I never thought to inspect the bottom of the current inured one's feet in bright light. I will check her feet with a light when I get home.

I do warm water foot baths to unclog the feet of Big Mama - she gets the black hard spot that I have to remove (comes out easier if I soak her foot to soften it) and sadly it just forms again and again. If I don't remove the bad spot I understand the staph infection can get into her bloodstream and kill her. I saw information online about lancing the area but I didn't have the nerve to do it, so I took Big Mama to a vet initially (he did medical work in Poultry before) and the vet showed me how to clean the feet with water to get the black spots off w/o lancing.

I do have another hen that has a lump on one of her feet that soaking so far hasn't helped. It broke open at some point and the other hens pecked at it and cleaned it out <G>. Then I cleaned and wrapped her foot with tape that matched the color of her leg so the other hens wouldn't notice it as easily to peck at it. Yeah I'm trying to out-smart a chicken lol.
One of my Physicians came to my house, and took care of my Chickens feet one time. He never worked on one before, but what he did, did the trick. Needless to say, he got free eggs when ever he wanted them.
There are some breeds of Chickens that are prone to lameness. Years ago, I had two Chickens of the same Breed, that came down with being lame. I forget what breed they were, but they looked like they had Pom-Poms on their heads. Good luck with your Birds Ark.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
One of my Physicians came to my house, and took care of my Chickens feet one time. He never worked on one before, but what he did, did the trick. Needless to say, he got free eggs when ever he wanted them.
There are some breeds of Chickens that are prone to lameness. Years ago, I had two Chickens of the same Breed, that came down with being lame. I forget what breed they were, but they looked like they had Pom-Poms on their heads. Good luck with your Birds Ark.

ahh probably Polish chickens? .. I have lots of those at my place <G>. They are my favorite breed for sure. I also like Silkies for their cuteness factor and they LOVE to go broody. I have 2 bantam silkies that get along great with the polish ones. I have a few big hens in with my polish since the polish are pretty laid back. The big hens that can't handle the "Big Girl Pen" get put in with the Polish and seem to thrive there.

AND just about every hen gets a hug periodically whether they want one or not LOL. Some will come peck my leg until I pick them up. Silly hens. Some of them run to get away when I'm dishing out hugs and when I catch them I snuggle with them extra long to show them it isn't so bad that they have to run like that LOL