Out of touch

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just saw the sticker go through FB: Don't shop on Thanksgiving because that means someone has to work that day instead of being with their family.

When I was a person who worked for companies that were open on holidays - restaurants, convenience stores, etc - I couldn't spare the day off without pay so I always volunteered to work on those days. The family got over it and the tips were more than generous because people were in the holiday spirit. Plus if I didn't work, I didn't get paid.

I think many of us get into a 9-5 M-F paid holidays off job and forget that there's another world out there - a world where people don't look forward to a day without pay. Where $100 is the difference between making your rent and not. Some of you may have forgotten, but most of those places call for volunteers to work those days anyway, or you can trade your hours with someone else.

So seriously, if you want to go out to dinner on TG or hit the grocery store for last minute items, do it and don't feel guilty.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I just saw the sticker go through FB: Don't shop on Thanksgiving because that means someone has to work that day instead of being with their family.

When I was a person who worked for companies that were open on holidays - restaurants, convenience stores, etc - I couldn't spare the day off without pay so I always volunteered to work on those days. The family got over it and the tips were more than generous because people were in the holiday spirit. Plus if I didn't work, I didn't get paid.

I think many of us get into a 9-5 M-F paid holidays off job and forget that there's another world out there - a world where people don't look forward to a day without pay. Where $100 is the difference between making your rent and not. Some of you may have forgotten, but most of those places call for volunteers to work those days anyway, or you can trade your hours with someone else.

So seriously, if you want to go out to dinner on TG or hit the grocery store for last minute items, do it and don't feel guilty.

exactly

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

:yay:

now a days those who HAVE a job with a store that is open understand that they will be open. many employers that will be open or are open 24/7 ask who wants to work and what shift. (as my job does)

many stores will also compensate the workers that work during those hours.

hell... many are just happy they have a JOB.

I look forward to Black Friday ..... already scanned the ads and know what im going to get!! :yahoo:

Justme2

Ok True BUT

When I was a kid (12) and Under the only thing open was 7-11. The bars didn't even open for business till 3PM. Of course there were a few restaurants open

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...

I always worked too, for the same reasons.

:coffee:

belvak

Happy Camper
When I was a kid (12) and Under the only thing open was 7-11. The bars didn't even open for business till 3PM. Of course there were a few restaurants open

I remember those days too! Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, about the only things open were 7-11 and sometimes a drug store! Times have changed.

puggymom

This is SO my pet peeve. My hubby works for a power plant so he works 2 out of every 3 years on Thanksgiving, and all holidays for that matter. So usually we celebrate when he's off and it's just the kids and I doing nothing.
It never once bothered me...that's just how it is with a shift worker.
Now we get this EVERYONE deserves to be home with their families movement. When I say otherwise I get the whole "well that's different". To me that translates to you are too selfish to go Amish therefore my hubby does not 'deserve' to be home with his family.

bilbur

I worked at the hospital as a dish washer for 4 years and I always requested the holiday work. It was more money and the work was easy because they discharge as many as they can so the patient doesn't have to spend the holiday there and eat that nasty food. The only holiday I would want off is New Years Day, back then I could drink and I would need a day to recover.

Justme2

Those were the days My friend

I remember those days too! Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, about the only things open were 7-11 and sometimes a drug store! Times have changed.

That was back when certain stores were not allowed to be open on Sunday.

Blue labor law?:yahoo::yahoo:

puggymom

:lol:

That's a good point, too - nurses, utility workers, um military personnel ...lots of people don't get holidays off. You work around it.

That's just it...we always worked around it.

The thing that bugs me is that there is a HUGE difference between saying 'there is really not much of a reason for retail stores to be open, it's kind of silly' and people DESERVE to be home with their families. Because not everybody gets to and I wish people would acknowledge and appreciate that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Because not everybody gets to and I wish people would acknowledge and appreciate that.

Many moons ago my heat went out on Christmas morning. The Burch guy was there within an hour to get me straightened out.

So yeah - to all of you who work on TG and Christmas instead of being home with your families, YOU ROCK! :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

My nieces all work in the restaurant business - 2 of them as servers. They both know they need the hours the hours. My oldest niece is a new GM & she will definitely be working as I am sure there are incentives for restaurants that meet certain goals, etc. :yay: