Thread: Beware of EVERYONE out there

Beware of EVERYONE out there

Was down about a mile north of Buoy 65 yesterday afternoon trolling for Rockfish with planer boards out. Heading North at about 2.6 kts.

From the north there is a sailboat, under power, basically running a parallel course roughly 400yds off our right and he is heading south. I start trying to cheat left as best I can but we were close to a line of crab pots and I was hoping not to drag lines through them. He gets about 200 yards off our bow at about the 1 oclock position and then decides he wants to turn into us and cross our path at a 90 degree angle to our path.

I had to power down and try to turn right to get behind him because there was no way I was gonna be able to clear him with the planer boards had I turned left.

When I dropped power my mate had to start reeling in everything because all our lines were heading for the bottom.

Not sure where this sailboat was from. Was flying a flag with a blue background and white cross.

The point being, you never know what someone else is going to do. Leave plenty of room between you and them because there are folks out there who just have no clue as to what is going on around them. As we passed us it kinda looked like he was simply curious and trying to look at our setup and figure out what we were up to as all his hands were up on deck checking us out.

I was not aggravated about it because I had seen it before but it just refreshed my thinking on the fact that you never know what another boat is going to do so keep your eyes PEELED.
    Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do

Quote Originally Posted by Caution View Post
    Was down about a mile north of Buoy 65 yesterday afternoon trolling for Rockfish with planer boards out. Heading North at about 2.6 kts.

From the north there is a sailboat, under power, basically running a parallel course roughly 400yds off our right and he is heading south. I start trying to cheat left as best I can but we were close to a line of crab pots and I was hoping not to drag lines through them. He gets about 200 yards off our bow at about the 1 oclock position and then decides he wants to turn into us and cross our path at a 90 degree angle to our path.

I had to power down and try to turn right to get behind him because there was no way I was gonna be able to clear him with the planer boards had I turned left.

When I dropped power my mate had to start reeling in everything because all our lines were heading for the bottom.

Not sure where this sailboat was from. Was flying a flag with a blue background and white cross.

The point being, you never know what someone else is going to do. Leave plenty of room between you and them because there are folks out there who just have no clue as to what is going on around them. As we passed us it kinda looked like he was simply curious and trying to look at our setup and figure out what we were up to as all his hands were up on deck checking us out.

I was not aggravated about it because I had seen it before but it just refreshed my thinking on the fact that you never know what another boat is going to do so keep your eyes PEELED.
    It's "Snowbird" migrating season, be careful out there. They only sail twice a year, one south, one north.

Its like driving in Southern Maryland during the rut.

A Salute to all on Watch struggler44's Avatar
    This is when it would be nice to be equipped with a torpedo

That is the thing a lot of boaters don't understand, they can't see the lane marker lines, like on the road.
    Walk through the fire Fly through the smoke

Decades ago a blowboater came out of Solomons and from miles away overtook me (trolling), cut across my stern and snagged every line. We had to cut them all.
    His wife was driving and when he heard the barrage of explicatives from me and my buddy, he grabbed the wheel and sent her below.

I chased his ass across the bay and unleashed on him again. He shrugged and said "I always have the right of way." WRONG!!!!
    We started hurling 12 and 16 oz sinkers at him putting some nice holes in his deck until he ran below too. Effing ass hole.

This is why I hate blow boaters to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICit View Post
    .... i just swallowed... I was lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Baja28 View Post

Not all of us are #######s..... :kickingrocks:
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Decades ago a blowboater came out of Solomons and from miles away overtook me (trolling), cut across my stern and snagged every line. We had to cut them all.
    His wife was driving and when he heard the barrage of explicatives from me and my buddy, he grabbed the wheel and sent her below.

I chased his ass across the bay and unleashed on him again. He shrugged and said "I always have the right of way." WRONG!!!!
    We started hurling 12 and 16 oz sinkers at him putting some nice holes in his deck until he ran below too. Effing ass hole.

It's odd how sometimes there can be ONE boat in sight within 3-4 miles and you can be heading in a straight line and they STILL will end up somewhere close to you and you have to make sudden changes because some nimrod wants to be seen on his fancy azzed boat. Egotistical ####s

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Not all of us are #######s..... :kickingrocks:
    Present company excepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Caution View Post
    It's odd how sometimes there can be ONE boat in sight within 3-4 miles and you can be heading in a straight line and they STILL will end up somewhere close to you and you have to make sudden changes because some nimrod wants to be seen on his fancy azzed boat. Egotistical ####s
    Thing is I changed course, she changed course. I think it was some PETA goon on a mission.

Hope it cost him a fortune to repair those holes.

Thing is I changed course, she changed course. I think it was some PETA goon on a mission.

Hope it cost him a fortune to repair those holes.
    I still think sometimes they wanna get close enough to you to see what you have going on. Just tells me that Sailboating must SUCK if they are so bored that they have to go check out the fishin' boats.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.