Thread: Checking for Leaks

Checking for Leaks

I have a neighbor whose paddle boat has sat on the shoreline of the lake for at least 4 years. The fiberglass contraption has sat uncovered all that time, and one would think, being fiberglass and (one would expect) with plenty of flotation material, it would still be okay for tooling around on the lake. This past weekend, I spotted the thing in motion on the lake with two ladies in it. A little while later, as I was leaving to do some errands, I saw the boat drawn up on the sandbar with two wet ladies standing near it. Later in the day, it was still on the sandbar, on its side, with no one around it. I don't know how I would have handled the boat any differently than they did, but apparently they discovered the hard way that it didn't stand up to the elements as well as one might expect. Point being, I guess, that it pays to inspect before launching the SS Old Plastic and going for a cruise.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!

Maybe they just tipped the thing over and gave up.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I have a neighbor whose paddle boat has sat on the shoreline of the lake for at least 4 years. The fiberglass contraption has sat uncovered all that time, and one would think, being fiberglass and (one would expect) with plenty of flotation material, it would still be okay for tooling around on the lake. This past weekend, I spotted the thing in motion on the lake with two ladies in it. A little while later, as I was leaving to do some errands, I saw the boat drawn up on the sandbar with two wet ladies standing near it. Later in the day, it was still on the sandbar, on its side, with no one around it. I don't know how I would have handled the boat any differently than they did, but apparently they discovered the hard way that it didn't stand up to the elements as well as one might expect. Point being, I guess, that it pays to inspect before launching the SS Old Plastic and going for a cruise.
    Reminds me of a fella I spoke with a week or two ago. Told me a that a couple of years ago he went out by himself in his 16' boat and had already had a couple. Well he forget to put the plug back in his boat before going out. Said he got out about 1/2 mile from the dock before he realized what was going on and he ended up throwing everything he owned on the boat overboard trying to stay afloat long enough to get back to the dock. LOL

I think it was 8 poles, couple tackle boxes, a tool box and I forget what else.

So not only mother nature can put holes in boats but absent minded people and drunks can too.
    Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do

He didn't have to lose all his gear. Easiest way to bail a boat is to remove the stern plug and throttle up and get on plane. Water empties out in no time, then stick the plug back in.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    He didn't have to lose all his gear. Easiest way to bail a boat is to remove the stern plug and throttle up and get on plane. Water empties out in no time, then stick the plug back in.
    I believe he said when he realized what was going on he stalled his motor and had left the plug in his truck.

Told me another time he was out he actually had a minor stroke and could not speak clearly enough on his radio to actually call for help. Said fortunately several other boaters in the area knew he was out there and came to check on him when he would not answer their radio calls.

I did not know the fella. Was just BSing with him one day while we were pulling the boat out of the water. LOL I hope to catch up with him again though. Told me he buys reels and throws them away when they stop working. I told him to throw them my way. I am pretty good at fixing those things now. I'll gladly take his broken reels off his hands.
    Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.