"Injured by your table saw" FB suggested posts?

glhs837

Power with Control
So I'm seeing at least one of these a day, usually the ones by a law firm with a website "tablesawinjurylawyers.com" in the post. what it boils down to is that SawStop is pushing both a national campaign of class action suits and lobbying heavily (over $400K in CA alone) to get legislation passed either on a state and or federal level requiring all table saws to incorporate safety technology that only they can provide. Founder and inventor is also a patent attorney.

For those unaware, SawStop is actually a pretty cool thing, uses a sensor to sense a sudden change n the conductivity of the blade to detect meat vs wood, although a damp piece of wood can cause a false trigger, and jams a piece of aluminum stock into the blade, stopping it before it can do more than nick you. Costs between $50-$80 for a new piece of aluminum. Cant be retrofit as of now.

I just hate to see someone try and use the law to force adoption of what they own.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
So I'm seeing at least one of these a day, usually the ones by a law firm with a website "tablesawinjurylawyers.com" in the post. what it boils down to is that SawStop is pushing both a national campaign of class action suits and lobbying heavily (over $400K in CA alone) to get legislation passed either on a state and or federal level requiring all table saws to incorporate safety technology that only they can provide. Founder and inventor is also a patent attorney.

For those unaware, SawStop is actually a pretty cool thing, uses a sensor to sense a sudden change n the conductivity of the blade to detect meat vs wood, although a damp piece of wood can cause a false trigger, and jams a piece of aluminum stock into the blade, stopping it before it can do more than nick you. Costs between $50-$80 for a new piece of aluminum. Cant be retrofit as of now.

I just hate to see someone try and use the law to force adoption of what they own.

Sounds familiar - something like everyone having mandatory ownership of health care, or else the govt of obama will.....?

glhs837

Power with Control
At least it shouldn't kill people like airbags have done

And the ratio of killed vs saved? Surgery kills also, but I can choose not to have it. And this tech isn't life saving, it's finger saving. On one of the posts, which comments are a parade of annoyed woodworkers, BTW, one lawyer actually said, and I quote "Bet you would feel different if you lost an arm to a table saw".

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Life is fatal ....

only the gov. would mandate an explosive in your steering wheel

C

czygvtwkr

. Costs between $50-$80 for a new piece of aluminum. Cant be retrofit as of now.

Not to mention can ruin your $100 blade if it goes off accidentally.

The law and the sawstop owner have been topics of controversy on woodworking websites for several years now. The sawstop would be a terrific saw even without the blade brake on it, at the wood working show last year in Baltimore I told the guy if he demonstrates it with his finger I would buy one, he declined.