The Tower of Babel and why families argue

hotcoffee

The Tower of Babel

Genesis 11:1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As people moved eastward,[a] they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.

3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel[c]—because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

a.Genesis 11:2 Or from the east; or in the east
b.Genesis 11:2 That is, Babylonia
c.Genesis 11:9 That is, Babylon; Babel sounds like the Hebrew for confused.

This takes place after the flood. These are some of the descendants of Noah. This is before the God made a covenant with Abraham and before the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah.

Notice.... according to the Bible God said "Let us go down and confuse their language." So I figure God and His Son Jesus were watching the people who were trying to build a tower to the heavens so those humans could make a name for themselves.

It's simple.... we don't understand each other.... that's why we don't all work together all the time.... working for a common goal.

:coffee:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Agreed. And most don't even try. Not altogether the case, on the first Thanksgiving (or so the account reported when I read history in school). People come together at a point transcendent of the present reality and mundane things - that point is in the presence of the Creator Himself. In Him, the universal understanding of us all is His, and inasmuch as we are enlightened by Him, we can begin to understand each other, and in that understanding see the potential for a measure of peace.

inkah

Is there a point being missed here?

The common collaboration was not a good thing for some reason.

Why was the Tower of Babel so bad? Why did "they" want to stop it?

And why does the Bible say elsewhere that God is not the author of confusion?

What is going on here? Are we supposed to work together or not?

hotcoffee

Is there a point being missed here?

The common collaboration was not a good thing for some reason.

Why was the Tower of Babel so bad? Why did "they" want to stop it?

And why does the Bible say elsewhere that God is not the author of confusion?

What is going on here? Are we supposed to work together or not?

the common collaboration was not a good thing in this instance because they were working to make a name for themselves.... If everyone had been working together to build a tower to the heavens to exalt God.... then it would have been a different story.

God didn't start this fight.... He didn't come up with the idea to build a tower to exalt humans.... He just stopped it because it was being done for the wrong reasons....

Right?

libby

the common collaboration was not a good thing in this instance because they were working to make a name for themselves.... If everyone had been working together to build a tower to the heavens to exalt God.... then it would have been a different story.

God didn't start this fight.... He didn't come up with the idea to build a tower to exalt humans.... He just stopped it because it was being done for the wrong reasons....

Right?

Many Protestant(s) and/or Protestant denominations condemn the Catholic Church for their elaborate decorations, which we say is to give glory to God. So, is this okay according to the lessons here, or not?

hotcoffee

Many Protestant(s) and/or Protestant denominations condemn the Catholic Church for their elaborate decorations, which we say is to give glory to God. So, is this okay according to the lessons here, or not?

Does it exalt God or does it make the humans feel better?

That's just my thought on the matter.... I'm definitely not an authority....

hotcoffee

The Tower of Babel

Genesis 11:1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As people moved eastward,[a] they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.

3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel[c]—because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

a.Genesis 11:2 Or from the east; or in the east
b.Genesis 11:2 That is, Babylonia
c.Genesis 11:9 That is, Babylon; Babel sounds like the Hebrew for confused.

This takes place after the flood. These are some of the descendants of Noah. This is before the God made a covenant with Abraham and before the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah.

Notice.... according to the Bible God said "Let us go down and confuse their language." So I figure God and His Son Jesus were watching the people who were trying to build a tower to the heavens so those humans could make a name for themselves.

It's simple.... we don't understand each other.... that's why we don't all work together all the time.... working for a common goal.

As you all know.... I'm still reading the book of Mormon.... I've made it up to the covenants sections. I'm currently on Section on 42 for those of you who are familiar with it.

Anyway.... There are a couple of verses here in Genesis that have caused me to have a greater need for prayer. I'm praying for more understanding.

I keep going back to two verses in this passage. Verse 7 makes me wonder just who God was talking to...... and Verse 9 makes me wonder if all those people remained on God's mind.... was He really watching them and helping them as they scattered all over the earth?

Just asking.... As a mother, I know that even tho my children have left home, scattered all over the US.... I think of them all the time. I'm sure God must have thought of all those humans... the heirs of the flood.... God is the father of our Savior..... so I'm sure He watched over them.... right?

Watcha think?