Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy chickens

Quote Originally Posted by ArkRescue View Post
    Per the article about chickens, it appears there are several different types of mites, and also lice that they can be affected by. Only a few of my chickens are shaking their head though. So I suspect it's a small issue and not affecting them all. My treating the roosting poles may have cut back the problem? I'm going to get Big Mama out later and sit down with a bright light to see what's going on with her. I picked her up yesterday and she has lost weight. She is also old so the weigh loss could be old age. I will check her later and report back.
    They can also be infested with Chiggers. That's something I didn't know. You are a good chicken Momma, so I'm sure your little Chick is just getting old. I hope that she's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    They can also be infested with Chiggers. That's something I didn't know. You are a good chicken Momma, so I'm sure your little Chick is just getting old. I hope that she's OK.
    Big Mama was the top hen in the big girl pen. When she developed bumble-foot, the other hens vying for her spot took advantage of her having issues and they started picking on her. I moved her to the Polish chicken pen where the most docile chickens are (mostly polish) and she's been happy in there. Amazingly I have 5 roosters in the Polish pen also, and they all get along. Four roosters are about the same age at 8 months, and one is 2 years old. I do need to put at least 2 or 3 of the roosters into another pen (each rooster should have about 10 hens) - just trying to decide which roosters to move out.
    Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small
    We are now a 501 (c)(3) non-profit!
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

Ark, your chickens are beautiful. I love, love, love the frizzles.

I like to be right.

Everyone's entitled to my opinion.

If you don't have anything nice to say to someone, then you need to STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl View Post
    Ark, your chickens are beautiful. I love, love, love the frizzles.
    I know a lady who may have some frizzles for sale. I got my breeding stock from her. I'll check and let you know.
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

speaking of chickens ....

I am guilty of over-feeding my chickens because I keep their food bins filled at all times. I also add cracked corn in the Winter to help them stay warm.

"For years in my medical career, I have been diagnosing patients with fatty liver diseases. It is estimated that approximately 20% of adults have fatty liver syndrome, with the percentage rising in children at an alarming rate. You can imagine my shock when I learned that chickens too could suffer from Fatty Liver Syndromes of their own! Yes, we are discovering that chickens like people that suffer from obesity, have poor nutrition, and a sedentary lifestyles are developing fatty liver syndromes themselves."

Fatty Livers and Heavyset Chickens -- Community Chickens

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.