Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

Dakota

~~~~~~~
This topic came up in another thread about the R6300 router review I posted saying not to buy the P.O.S. Some commenting about how great the Roku is, etc.

Anyway, top headline news this morning on wtop....

Cut the cord to save money on cable - WTOP.com

Aps mentioned Aereo.com, which is the 1st time I'd ever seen the site and this article says that this could be a game changer in the future.

Directv made a bid for Hulu but it was a low ball bid, IMO, and as it sits, last I read, Hulu has decided to stand alone at this time. Internet TV seems to be the future, no equipment, no 4 hour windows waiting for installers, just a simple site and either Chromecast, Roku, xbox/PS, HDMI, whatever for access.

Interesting....

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I saw this article, and I have been interested in cutting the cord also. I do not understand the relationship between the devices and the service providers so I need to get up to speed on that.

I usually end up recording shows to watch at odd times that I have time to sit still. Somehow I don't ever get around to seeing everything and when I run low on disk space I end up deleting some of the shows I have not yet seen.

I tend to records things like: Dr Oz, nature/animal programs, and watch HGTV while I am doing other things around the house. If I can do this cheaper than the current $196 a month we pay now for FIOS (TV/internet/land line), that would be awesome.

I have recently been trying to find a cheaper high speed internet provider than FIOS or Cable. Seems they have increased the price so you'll pay no less than $100 a month just for internet as a stand alone service.

I gave it up a long time ago. I just get a handful of TV signals over-the-air now, but get to see the major network shows. Everything else is DVDs or some online shoes.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
I gave it up a long time ago. I just get a handful of TV signals over-the-air now, but get to see the major network shows. Everything else is DVDs or some online shoes.

I have never watched an online shoe, are they very interesting? :coffee:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Hulu - you can stream a lot of shows
Netfliks - nuff said ....

several networks offer next day or week free web viewing

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Hulu - you can stream a lot of shows
Netfliks - nuff said ....

several networks offer next day or week free web viewing

I think Hulu would work for me. So I can use my computer to run a cable to my HDTV right?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
if your laptop has an HDMI Port or your TV a VGA Port

[hdmi is better, carrys the audio as well as video]

Some people leave their PC's on 24/7, I do not. So I don't know that I want to be leaving my PC on all time to record shows you know?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
We dumped cable a long time ago. We just dumped netflix, because their selection has gone from 'okay' to 'worse'. We stream from Hulu and Amazon, and get a few of the lower channels for local news and odd shows. We get a couple of stations that have reruns of shows like Flipper, Partridge Family, I Dream of Jeannie...pretty off the wall stuff. I think one of them is MeTV, and I forget what the other one is. Everything else is a purchased DVD.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
We have not had a tv provider for 4 years. Between Hulu, Netflix, and the many channels that have episodes available the next day, we have not missed much.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We have not had a tv provider for 4 years. Between Hulu, Netflix, and the many channels that have episodes available the next day, we have not missed much.

That is why I am thinking I can get away with dropping the TV part. I am very serious when I say I maybe watch TV all of 20 to 30 minutes a day (that's why I never seem to get through the list of shows saved on the DVR).

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I think Hulu would work for me. So I can use my computer to run a cable to my HDTV right?

get a Roku box

Hulu saves about 6 weeks of the current season and Netflix has the previous seasons of shows,
My winter project is to sit down and watch LOST from start to finish

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
get a Roku box

Hulu saves about 6 weeks of the current season and Netflix has the previous seasons of shows,
My winter project is to sit down and watch LOST from start to finish

Will I be able to easily use different TV's (living room, bedroom, etc) or does that complicate things?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
We dumped cable a long time ago. We just dumped netflix, because their selection has gone from 'okay' to 'worse'. We stream from Hulu and Amazon, and get a few of the lower channels for local news and odd shows. We get a couple of stations that have reruns of shows like Flipper, Partridge Family, I Dream of Jeannie...pretty off the wall stuff. I think one of them is MeTV, and I forget what the other one is. Everything else is a purchased DVD.

I'm watching Archie Bunker :lmao: In another thread, Christy mentioned loving her Roku so I ordered one. This is pretty fricken great - you'd love it. Crackle is wonderful, tons of choices. I'm loving the trip down memory lane.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

I could live without it because I watch so little TV.

You know... my dad and step-mom have everything but they don't have a Roku. I'm buying them one of these for Christmas.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'm watching Archie Bunker :lmao: In another thread, Christy mentioned loving her Roku so I ordered one. This is pretty fricken great - you'd love it. Crackle is wonderful, tons of choices. I'm loving the trip down memory lane.

I was checking online and for Roku 3 the best price was $88 at Walmart.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Archie is talking about why we don't need gun control and I swear Edith reminds me of a neighbor. :killingme

I am so glad I have no plans this weekend and just about all my Christmas shopping can be done on my computer.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I was checking online and for Roku 3 the best price was $88 at Walmart.

I bought the Roku 2 for $49.91 off Amazon on Saturday but the price is back up to $79.99. I will check the sales ads this weekend and let you know if I see any sales. I really want to get my dad one of these. He would love it!!! It would suck if I had to pay more to get him one than what I paid just 'cuz it is Christmas and it is so popular.