Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

I have both a Roku 2 and 3. Roku 2 limited to 720P while the 3 can do 1080. The 3 uses a faster processor and is more responsive and quicker. Plus the 3 supports youtube. PlayOn uses your computer as a server and can stream most of the current content. I paid for the lifetime of 59 and not sure if its really worth it though. I have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+ and Redbox that we subscribe to and watch. That along with Shoutcast and the LiveNews Channel is about all we watch. LiveNews Channel has Channel 7 news from DC so we use that for local weather only. I also use Plex Media Server for streaming music, pictures and movies from Digital copies from my main desktop. Overall we are happy with both Roku's and now costing us around 25 a month compared to 150 when I was with Direct-TV. Only foreseeable issue I see now was when the FCC lost their case is companies like Verizon, throttling streaming shows forcing companies to raise the cost to pay the toll charges. But still if I can keep it under 40 or less its still pretty decent.

Netflix reaches deal with Comcast

Just ran across this:

"NEW YORK (AP) -- Netflix has reached a deal with Comcast to ensure that its TV shows and movies are streamed smoothly to households, the first deal the online video streaming service has reached with an Internet service provider.

The two companies said in a joint statement Sunday they're establishing a more direct connection to provide a better service to customers that will also allow for future growth in Netflix traffic. The companies say the arrangement is already giving customers a better experience."

Netflix reaches deal with Comcast - WTOP.com
    Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small
    We are now a 501 (c)(3) non-profit!
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

Just saw this story:

"WASHINGTON -- It's a tough call to make, but more people are cutting the cable cord.

With more options out there, many people think paying for cable isn't worth it. Options such as Roku and Chromecast, which deliver current TV shows on an actual TV -- rather than a computer, and paid services such as Netflix are gaining in popularity.

"I feel like it's a little pricey, especially when I see that bill every month," cable-user Brendon Esposito says of costs for the service. "

http://wtop.com/249/3664108/The-tren...-the-cable-box
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

If they would be willing to offer a la carte options rather than ridiculous packages, more people would be willing to stick around.
    "If he were to pat you on the back, you would list in on your resume"

Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow89 View Post
    If they would be willing to offer a la carte options rather than ridiculous packages, more people would be willing to stick around.
    A relative of mine just went through hell and back with Comcast over seeing her bill increase. In the course of the conversation about the $20 bill increase she saw, they offered to give her HBO free for 1 year but said they have to change her set top boxes to the more current one. She was like fine. She gets the next bill and her bill went up by like $40 - she finds out it's because of the rental fee for the newer model set top boxes ! Sheesh just how many tricks are there? Not everyone can be an expert in all of the ways businesses have to increase their profits.

They (big business) have learned that they can get over $100 a month per household for Internet .... so we will never get away from the high prices will we?

Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow89 View Post

until content providers get with the program and realize the 'I Love Lucy' @ 0800 PM on Tuesdays business model is dead
    .. and let people either subscribe to specific shows [House of Cards on Netfliks] or channels and time shift when they want ... everything is digital anyway, it is tome to end the reign of the 'Video Recorder' and broadcast on X day of the week, and let people watch 'On Demand' when it fits their schedule

making consumers record a TV show or Movie already stored as a computer file is just plain stupid

until such time Torrent Method fits my needs just fine
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

ďThere is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.Ē

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

What is the going rate for basic cable and internet service? I dropped Comcast many years ago for reasons similar to those posted here. I have become so accustomed to having no TV, PC, or Internet at home I doubt I will ever go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
    What is the going rate for basic cable and internet service? I dropped Comcast many years ago for reasons similar to those posted here. I have become so accustomed to having no TV, PC, or Internet at home I doubt I will ever go back.
    Well I NEED internet so I can take advantage of the tele-work policy once a week. I guess I should consider the price I pay for internet to be done in part with my commuting savings 4 days a month? All work PC's are now being monitored to log activity, so that will cut back on personal use of work PC's I am sure. At work we can not connect non-approved devices to the network, nor can we connect non-approved devices to the USB ports (not even to charge our phone), so people are relying on their smart phones for person internet usage now (and using a wall charger to recharge). At any given time of day, you'll see some folks at the window trying to get a signal on their cell phones LOL. Technology is being used against people who are not putting in a full days work now. I assume there will be personnel changes based on the activity logging on work computers.

I dropped comcast cable once I kept seeing my bill go up over single month. It wasn't like 3 or 4 dollars it was like 10.00 or so a month. Finally after it going up to 200.00 I was like that is it. The fees that they kept tacking on was making it go to that level. The only part about Netflix I don't like is that there are certain TV shows that you have to get the DVD instead of streaming. Example: Under the Dome. That doesn't get streamed..but on Amazon Prime it does. So I may end up getting Amazon Prime also.

I watch two channels. MASN for the Orioles & ESPN for Friday night fights. Everything else I see online. We just downgraded to a basic Direct TV package because itís ridiculous to pay so much for so little, but guess what, I lost MASN. I went to look into MLB TV and its $120 for a year subscription and you get every gameÖ.except your local team. They have a deal with cable providers not to let subscribers see their local teams so they have to buy cable. Thereís a workaround for this but if Iím paying $120 I donít think I should have to use it. I ended up downloading MLB at bat last night for $10 so at least I can listen to the Orioles (at least I should be able to). Iím about ready to say good bye to all of it.
    Every little thing, you think that you need. Every little thing that's just feeding your greed. Oh, I bet that you'd be fine without it...

Members who have read this thread: 72