Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

This topic came up in another thread about the R6300 router review I posted saying not to buy the P.O.S. Some commenting about how great the Roku is, etc.

Anyway, top headline news this morning on wtop....

Cut the cord to save money on cable - WTOP.com

Aps mentioned Aereo.com, which is the 1st time I'd ever seen the site and this article says that this could be a game changer in the future.

Directv made a bid for Hulu but it was a low ball bid, IMO, and as it sits, last I read, Hulu has decided to stand alone at this time. Internet TV seems to be the future, no equipment, no 4 hour windows waiting for installers, just a simple site and either Chromecast, Roku, xbox/PS, HDMI, whatever for access.

Interesting....
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

I saw this article, and I have been interested in cutting the cord also. I do not understand the relationship between the devices and the service providers so I need to get up to speed on that.

I usually end up recording shows to watch at odd times that I have time to sit still. Somehow I don't ever get around to seeing everything and when I run low on disk space I end up deleting some of the shows I have not yet seen.

I tend to records things like: Dr Oz, nature/animal programs, and watch HGTV while I am doing other things around the house. If I can do this cheaper than the current $196 a month we pay now for FIOS (TV/internet/land line), that would be awesome.

I have recently been trying to find a cheaper high speed internet provider than FIOS or Cable. Seems they have increased the price so you'll pay no less than $100 a month just for internet as a stand alone service.
    Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small
    We are now a 501 (c)(3) non-profit!
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

I gave it up a long time ago. I just get a handful of TV signals over-the-air now, but get to see the major network shows. Everything else is DVDs or some online shoes.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I gave it up a long time ago. I just get a handful of TV signals over-the-air now, but get to see the major network shows. Everything else is DVDs or some online shoes.
    I have never watched an online shoe, are they very interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by slotpuppy View Post
    I have never watched an online shoe, are they very interesting?
    Yeah. Very diverse. There's some white ones, black ones, brown ones, red ones, sexy ones, sneaky ones.......
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Yeah. Very diverse. There's some white ones, black ones, brown ones, red ones, sexy ones, sneaky ones.......
    but I hear you are racist and only like WHITE shoes

te he
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

Hulu - you can stream a lot of shows
    Netfliks - nuff said ....

several networks offer next day or week free web viewing
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Hulu - you can stream a lot of shows
    Netfliks - nuff said ....

several networks offer next day or week free web viewing
    I think Hulu would work for me. So I can use my computer to run a cable to my HDTV right?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkRescue View Post
    I think Hulu would work for me. So I can use my computer to run a cable to my HDTV right?
    if your laptop has an HDMI Port or your TV a VGA Port

[hdmi is better, carrys the audio as well as video]
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    if your laptop has an HDMI Port or your TV a VGA Port

[hdmi is better, carrys the audio as well as video]
    Some people leave their PC's on 24/7, I do not. So I don't know that I want to be leaving my PC on all time to record shows you know?

Members who have read this thread: 71