Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 463

Thread: Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

  1. #421
    Giggity giggity! Misfit's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lusby
    Posts
    13,816
    http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/strea...-cutting-guide

    Hulu Live TV Streaming Service (ETA: Early 2017)
    Every little thing, you think that you need. Every little thing that's just feeding your greed. Oh, I bet that you'd be fine without it...

  2. #422
    Registered User mitzi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Mary's
    Posts
    2,594
    Do I have to have a Smart TV to be able to hook up computer to the tv and watch shows from online? Do you need a Smart TV to use Roku or the Firestick. I'm still trying to find ways (inexpensive) to cut this cable cord. TIA

  3. #423
    Registered User warneckutz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    11,314
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    Do I have to have a Smart TV to be able to hook up computer to the tv and watch shows from online? Do you need a Smart TV to use Roku or the Firestick. I'm still trying to find ways (inexpensive) to cut this cable cord. TIA
    Most TV's, smart or not lately, have an HDMI port that most of the boxes use (Firestick uses USB I believe) - those will let you watch on your TV...

    You can download their software to watch on your computer and you can watch on your phone too.

    I have both Apple TV and Roku and I use SlingTV (don't get it confused with SlingBox) for my cable needs... went from $105/mo (MetroCrap) to $25/mo (SlingTV Blue Package).
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

    It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

  4. #424
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    4,779
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    Do I have to have a Smart TV to be able to hook up computer to the tv and watch shows from online? Do you need a Smart TV to use Roku or the Firestick. I'm still trying to find ways (inexpensive) to cut this cable cord. TIA
    1. You don't need the computer
    2. A smart TV has it's own version of a Roku or Firestick built in, that is why they call it a smart tv, I would avoid those though because their interface is never as good as a roku or firestick. You can use any modern TV with an HDMI port.
    3. You just plug in the media device into your HDMI port, the sticks plug in directly and can get power from the TV's USB port, some don't provide quite enough power and you have to have a separate wall plug for that.

    It really is that easy as plugging something into the back of your TV. I have used Sling for TV for almost a year now at $20/month I have been ecstatic to eliminate a $110/month bill.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

  5. #425
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    31,509
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post

    And if I miss "The Blacklist" for two months because life intervened, I hate that On Demand may not have it.

    how are you on copyright law ....

    if you have a laptop you can connect to your TV and know where to download ....
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  6. #426
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    31,509
    Quote Originally Posted by somdfunguy View Post
    limited shows that they wholly own, but I'm sure that will grow in time.
    I have a couple episodes of Star Trek Voyager in my Cell Phone .... downloaded right from Netflix
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  7. #427
    Registered User mitzi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Mary's
    Posts
    2,594
    Thanks everyone

  8. #428
    Main Streeter awpitt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Location
    St. Mary's County
    Posts
    9,837
    Has anyone checked out and used Tick Box?

    https://www.tickboxtv.com/
    .
    .

    .

  9. #429
    I need a nap beachcat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Beach
    Posts
    2,994
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    1. You don't need the computer
    2. A smart TV has it's own version of a Roku or Firestick built in, that is why they call it a smart tv, I would avoid those though because their interface is never as good as a roku or firestick. You can use any modern TV with an HDMI port.
    3. You just plug in the media device into your HDMI port, the sticks plug in directly and can get power from the TV's USB port, some don't provide quite enough power and you have to have a separate wall plug for that.

    It really is that easy as plugging something into the back of your TV. I have used Sling for TV for almost a year now at $20/month I have been ecstatic to eliminate a $110/month bill.
    I just did this!!!! I was told by the guy at best buy that most TV's manufactured in the last 15 years have this HDMI port. I plugged in a roku, and my brother installed an HD antenna (for local channels)...BUT you can stream CBS All access and get the live local channel. I love it. My Direct TV went from $110, now I use Netflix, CBS all access and pay less than 15.00. Now that Verizon offers unlimited data, that makes it great. I couldn't do it until they offered unlimited data, since I don't have cable and FIOS isn't offered in north beach where I'm at.

  10. #430
    Registered User mitzi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Mary's
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
    I just did this!!!! I was told by the guy at best buy that most TV's manufactured in the last 15 years have this HDMI port. I plugged in a roku, and my brother installed an HD antenna (for local channels)...BUT you can stream CBS All access and get the live local channel. I love it. My Direct TV went from $110, now I use Netflix, CBS all access and pay less than 15.00. Now that Verizon offers unlimited data, that makes it great. I couldn't do it until they offered unlimited data, since I don't have cable and FIOS isn't offered in north beach where I'm at.
    So what you're saying is subscribed to CBS All Access I could still watch Channel 9 news live?

Members who have read this thread: 72

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |