Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/strea...-cutting-guide

Hulu Live TV Streaming Service (ETA: Early 2017)
    Every little thing, you think that you need. Every little thing that's just feeding your greed. Oh, I bet that you'd be fine without it...

Do I have to have a Smart TV to be able to hook up computer to the tv and watch shows from online? Do you need a Smart TV to use Roku or the Firestick. I'm still trying to find ways (inexpensive) to cut this cable cord. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    Do I have to have a Smart TV to be able to hook up computer to the tv and watch shows from online? Do you need a Smart TV to use Roku or the Firestick. I'm still trying to find ways (inexpensive) to cut this cable cord. TIA
    Most TV's, smart or not lately, have an HDMI port that most of the boxes use (Firestick uses USB I believe) - those will let you watch on your TV...

You can download their software to watch on your computer and you can watch on your phone too.

I have both Apple TV and Roku and I use SlingTV (don't get it confused with SlingBox) for my cable needs... went from $105/mo (MetroCrap) to $25/mo (SlingTV Blue Package).
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    1. You don't need the computer
    2. A smart TV has it's own version of a Roku or Firestick built in, that is why they call it a smart tv, I would avoid those though because their interface is never as good as a roku or firestick. You can use any modern TV with an HDMI port.
    3. You just plug in the media device into your HDMI port, the sticks plug in directly and can get power from the TV's USB port, some don't provide quite enough power and you have to have a separate wall plug for that.

It really is that easy as plugging something into the back of your TV. I have used Sling for TV for almost a year now at $20/month I have been ecstatic to eliminate a $110/month bill.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post

And if I miss "The Blacklist" for two months because life intervened, I hate that On Demand may not have it.

how are you on copyright law ....

if you have a laptop you can connect to your TV and know where to download ....
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by somdfunguy View Post
    limited shows that they wholly own, but I'm sure that will grow in time.
    I have a couple episodes of Star Trek Voyager in my Cell Phone .... downloaded right from Netflix
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Thanks everyone

Has anyone checked out and used Tick Box?

https://www.tickboxtv.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    1. You don't need the computer
    2. A smart TV has it's own version of a Roku or Firestick built in, that is why they call it a smart tv, I would avoid those though because their interface is never as good as a roku or firestick. You can use any modern TV with an HDMI port.
    3. You just plug in the media device into your HDMI port, the sticks plug in directly and can get power from the TV's USB port, some don't provide quite enough power and you have to have a separate wall plug for that.

It really is that easy as plugging something into the back of your TV. I have used Sling for TV for almost a year now at $20/month I have been ecstatic to eliminate a $110/month bill.
    I just did this!!!! I was told by the guy at best buy that most TV's manufactured in the last 15 years have this HDMI port. I plugged in a roku, and my brother installed an HD antenna (for local channels)...BUT you can stream CBS All access and get the live local channel. I love it. My Direct TV went from $110, now I use Netflix, CBS all access and pay less than 15.00. Now that Verizon offers unlimited data, that makes it great. I couldn't do it until they offered unlimited data, since I don't have cable and FIOS isn't offered in north beach where I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
    I just did this!!!! I was told by the guy at best buy that most TV's manufactured in the last 15 years have this HDMI port. I plugged in a roku, and my brother installed an HD antenna (for local channels)...BUT you can stream CBS All access and get the live local channel. I love it. My Direct TV went from $110, now I use Netflix, CBS all access and pay less than 15.00. Now that Verizon offers unlimited data, that makes it great. I couldn't do it until they offered unlimited data, since I don't have cable and FIOS isn't offered in north beach where I'm at.
    So what you're saying is subscribed to CBS All Access I could still watch Channel 9 news live?

Members who have read this thread: 72