Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

I signed up for the youtube TV free 7 day and frankly, it is pretty nice for a sports fan at $35 a month which includes the DVR.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

Monthly Services $ 44.99

America's Top 120+ (reg$67.99) $ 49.99 <-- plus has some sports channels my husband wanted

eAutoPay Savings $5x24Mo - $ 5.00

Equipment $ 10.00

Hopper DVR Service $ 15.00

DVR Savings $5x24 Mo - $ 5.00 <---- this goes away if I don't lock into a contract

Monthly Total $ 55.02

Monthly Services $ 44.99
    Equipment $ 10.00
    FCC Regulatory Fee $ 0.03

^^^ Our Dish Bill - on 1 TV and NO LOCALS
    We get our locals over the air with an antenna

Now why when this contract is up in a few months, I am going all stream?

YouTube TV is $35 a month - can be streamed on 6 devices - including Roku - all sports, and locals 4, 5, 7, and 9 plus some other pretty good channels

Philo TV is everything else - $16 a month 3 devices - https://try.philo.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQi...MaAkmIEALw_wcB
    37 channel plan - Here I have DIY, ID, History channel and some other mindless crap I watch sometimes.

Total - $51.00 a month

more people can stream and both YouTube TV and Philo have DVRs that will save recordings for 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Monthly Services $ 44.99

America's Top 120+ (reg$67.99) $ 49.99 <-- plus has some sports channels my husband wanted

eAutoPay Savings $5x24Mo - $ 5.00

Equipment $ 10.00

Hopper DVR Service $ 15.00

DVR Savings $5x24 Mo - $ 5.00 <---- this goes away if I don't lock into a contract

Monthly Total $ 55.02

Monthly Services $ 44.99
    Equipment $ 10.00
    FCC Regulatory Fee $ 0.03

^^^ Our Dish Bill - on 1 TV and NO LOCALS
    We get our locals over the air with an antenna

Now why when this contract is up in a few months, I am going all stream?

YouTube TV is $35 a month - can be streamed on 6 devices - including Roku - all sports, and locals 4, 5, 7, and 9 plus some other pretty good channels

Philo TV is everything else - $16 a month 3 devices - https://try.philo.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQi...MaAkmIEALw_wcB
    37 channel plan - Here I have DIY, ID, History channel and some other mindless crap I watch sometimes.

Total - $51.00 a month

more people can stream and both YouTube TV and Philo have DVRs that will save recordings for 30 days.

This is great. Admittedly, the slow move towards streaming only for my family has been spotty or non-existent coverage of:
    1. Live TV
    2. DVR availability
    3. Major network coverage
    4. Convenience (let's face it, having to swap out of one service to another to get one channel ain't fun) and
    5. Expand-ability and corresponding pricing.

One of the great things about cable is that basic cable costs very little to expand - although DVR expansion is not.
    I've always been annoyed at the idea that costs should be so much more just for having ONE MORE TV
    (although I get it for streaming - somewhat - because you're actually increasing bandwidth usage with each device).

Right now, I'm ok with watching something on Netflix - or Amazon - or Hulu - or CBS All Access - or any other streaming channel -
    but I can see how it gets confusing. For example when my father in law watches our kids, I can see that he
    clicks on ONE streaming channel because he doesn't "get" how it works. Why not? *I* don't always. I forget which channel
    on which streaming source the show we want to watch is on. I think what people WANT is one simple interface
    to get everything they want - which is what cable offers right now.

It does look to me like YouTube TV just about covers everything already.
    Do you know if they have plans to improve or expand?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

4. 02-19-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Do you know if they have plans to improve or expand?

Yes they do...

If you sign up BEFORE March 13th -your price is locked - after that - price will go up w/the add on channels.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/1...price-increase

Out of everything I have tested, which includes Sling, Directv Now, Hulu live - Youtube TV has been the best, in my opinion and with Philo TV to fill in the gaps, it seems like a cable cutters dream & both have DVRs.

Philo TV has a guide now which makes the way it works so much better.

I am still a Youtube TV user and still love it in combination with Philo.

Philo TV has a guide now which makes the way it works so much better.

I am still a Youtube TV user and still love it in combination with Philo.
    Curious - looking over the lists - what on Philo to you is worth the 16 bucks a month?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Curious - looking over the lists - what on Philo to you is worth the 16 bucks a month?
    https://try.philo.com/ Animal Planet, History Channel, HGTV - between those we watch a few shows.

My husband is a Deadliest Catch fan and I enjoy some of the true crime/documentary shows.

https://try.philo.com/ Animal Planet, History Channel, HGTV - between those we watch a few shows.

My husband is a Deadliest Catch fan and I enjoy some of the true crime/documentary shows.
    Well, the reason I asked of course is, I looked at the list. I like those channels - but not enough to pay money for them.
    Considering dumping my CBS All Access also - I only got it to watch Star Trek Discovery - and it's only on for a few months
    out of the year, and none of the other offerings seem worth it.

Members who have read this thread: 28