Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 475

Thread: Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

  1. #431
    Quote Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
    I just did this!!!! I was told by the guy at best buy that most TV's manufactured in the last 15 years have this HDMI port. I plugged in a roku, and my brother installed an HD antenna (for local channels)...BUT you can stream CBS All access and get the live local channel. I love it. My Direct TV went from $110, now I use Netflix, CBS all access and pay less than 15.00. Now that Verizon offers unlimited data, that makes it great. I couldn't do it until they offered unlimited data, since I don't have cable and FIOS isn't offered in north beach where I'm at.
    So let me understand - you get your TV via Verizon's unlimited data? What kind of reception do you get for Verizon in North Beach?
    Also - are you using a specialized device for transmitting your wi-fi with Verizon - or your phone?

    I would LOVE to do this - but in Hollywood, Verizon coverage is spotty and from experience, it fades in and out a lot.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  2. #432
    Repete Pete's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    52,439
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am cutting the cable..........the one that goes to the satellite dish that is. So we did not have cable out in the boonies where I live. We went with a Verizon wifi in the house and unlimited for internet and Direct TV. the WIFI got sketchy because the box Verizon sold us with the unlimited plan got old and slow (3G) and to upgrade unlimited was no longer available with the new 4G. Went with a 60G plan and ran over every month. Huge $$. Finally got cable and now pay $76 for 150mbs plan and got Apple TV.

    In the meantime I gamed DirectTV every couple years and a decent plan started costing $60 a month and before long the "discounts" would run out and the next thing I know I am paying $150 to watch 5 channels because none of the 5 are in the same "package".

    So I went and got Hulu Live for $39 and we have been testing it all week and it works fine. They do not have CBS live and maybe ABC so I just grabbed a HD Digital antenna at Best buy and I am going to bolt it to the Dish on the roof and see if I can pick up CD and Baltimore network TV.

    My only worry is that Metrocast has a "somewhat" limit of 75GB a month limit and if you broach it often they may try to force you to the commercial plan. Or so I heard. So that is why I am going with the antenna.

    My next call is to Direct TV to break the news that they can go screw themselves.
    Last edited by Pete; 07-17-2017 at 12:15 PM.

  3. #433
    Registered User
    Member Since
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

    My only worry is that Metrocast has a "somewhat" limit of 75GB a month limit and if you broach it often they may try to force you to the commercial plan. Or so I heard. So that is why I am going with the antenna.
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by https://www.metrocast.com/policies/high-speed-internet-acceptable-use-policy
    Excessive Bandwidth Consumption
    High-speed bandwidth and network resources are not unlimited. Managing MetroCast's network is essential as MetroCast works to promote the use and enjoyment of the Internet by our customers. As explained above, the Service is for recreational, residential and personal use. MetroCast has established a monthly bandwidth usage limit per Service account. Service usage may not exceed the following limits for each type of subscriber account:

    MetroCast Subscriber Account: Monthly Bandwidth Usage Limit:
    MetroCast Access 50 GB
    MetroCast High Speed Express 250GB
    MetroCast High Speed Turbo 600 GB
    MetroCast High Speed Ultra 1 TB

  4. #434
    Repete Pete's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    52,439
    Blog Entries
    1
    Can I assume that High Speed Ultra is the $76 per month plan and I could never hit 1TB streaming TV several hours a day?

  5. #435
    Registered User warneckutz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    11,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Can I assume that High Speed Ultra is the $76 per month plan and I could never hit 1TB streaming TV several hours a day?
    I have the 50gb plan and I stream Apple TV movies all the time. Pandora radio, Xbox, SlingTV... never an issue
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

    It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

  6. #436
    Repete Pete's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    52,439
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by warneckutz View Post
    I have the 50gb plan and I stream Apple TV movies all the time. Pandora radio, Xbox, SlingTV... never an issue
    That sounds typical but we have 2 college kids who work evenings. They watch all day, leave, we come home and watch until 11. I say watch when I mean the TV is on.

  7. #437
    Registered User
    Member Since
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Can I assume that High Speed Ultra is the $76 per month plan and I could never hit 1TB streaming TV several hours a day?
    Yes, the $76 is the 1TB limit. You may or may not hit it, our household regularly hits 300-400GB with one TV watching Hulu/Netflix for a couple hours a day, plus several devices browsing the internet / streaming youtube occasionally.

  8. #438
    Repete Pete's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hollywood
    Posts
    52,439
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Yes, the $76 is the 1TB limit. You may or may not hit it, our household regularly hits 300-400GB with one TV watching Hulu/Netflix for a couple hours a day, plus several devices browsing the internet / streaming youtube occasionally.
    For us I think it will be fine. Especially when the kids go back to school. The only thing we are missing is football coverage. Hulu live has NBC and Fox and ESPN for MNF. We need to get ABC and CBS for some games. Other than that We don't need anything other than Netflix and Hulu.

  9. #439
    And you can get all your news on here!

  10. #440
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I am cutting the cable..........the one that goes to the satellite dish that is. So we did not have cable out in the boonies where I live. We went with a Verizon wifi in the house and unlimited for internet and Direct TV. the WIFI got sketchy because the box Verizon sold us with the unlimited plan got old and slow (3G) and to upgrade unlimited was no longer available with the new 4G. Went with a 60G plan and ran over every month. Huge $$. Finally got cable and now pay $76 for 150mbs plan and got Apple TV.

    In the meantime I gamed DirectTV every couple years and a decent plan started costing $60 a month and before long the "discounts" would run out and the next thing I know I am paying $150 to watch 5 channels because none of the 5 are in the same "package".

    So I went and got Hulu Live for $39 and we have been testing it all week and it works fine. They do not have CBS live and maybe ABC so I just grabbed a HD Digital antenna at Best buy and I am going to bolt it to the Dish on the roof and see if I can pick up CD and Baltimore network TV.

    My only worry is that Metrocast has a "somewhat" limit of 75GB a month limit and if you broach it often they may try to force you to the commercial plan. Or so I heard. So that is why I am going with the antenna.

    My next call is to Direct TV to break the news that they can go screw themselves.

    You can get your antenna positioned correctly with an app and even if it doesn't work for you, you have a fricken ANTENNA so if ever tv goes out with crappy metrocast soon to be even crappier with the purchasing company or DTV or Dish, you have an antenna. Typically satellite picks up in a different directions as OTA.

    I think having an OTA antenna is a must have. I put ours into our xbox which allowed me to pause and stuff. I posted in here somewhere that I have the 4 bow tie system, forgot the name and I get 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 50 and a bunch of other stuff.

    Sometimes I can sit and watch the home shopping club and suddenly feel the need to buy some random product I wasn't even thinking I needed until I saw it on TV.

    If you do not have active gamers in the house, you won't hit 1TB. My house has come close and even over but everyone has grown up and gotten busy. Metrocast doesn't enforce the overage but who knows what the new guys will do.

    Last night Game of Thrones caused a major outage with DTV.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

Members who have read this thread: 69

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |