The Good Ole Boys

demsformd

Well to be frank, I hate the way certain people have demeaned the good old boy network, especially certain Republican candidates. I think that demeaning the good old boys is a nice way of saying that one hates this county. Are the people that are saying this transplants to this county that are saddened because they are out of the loop? Somebody explain their hatred of a long-lasting support group that has helped to make this county run smoothly.

On a side note, isn't it ironic that the Republican candidates for county commissioner are demeaning the good old boys while supporting Kenny Dement - the leader of them? Hypocrites? Hell yeah.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dems, what ARE you talking about? Most of those Republicans candidates ARE good ol' boys! Name one candidate who is demeaning the GOB network or I'm going to think you're just making it up.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
In my experience, certain candidates invoke the supposed menace of "good ole boys" to play to the resentment of newcomers. They're casting blame for the area's unchecked sprawl. Demsformd is right when he suggests that the resentment comes partly from feeling left out of county decision-making.

What exactly does "good ole boys" mean? As I've heard it used in the past, it refers to a local political machine. The caricature has these boys fighting most kinds of change or progress because these undermine the machine's power. They're portrayed as making back-room political deals that are either illegal or opposed by most of the voters. Some of this sounds like a lot of the newer county residents have been watching too much Dukes of Hazzard.

I thought it was hilarious to read Joe Gass criticizing "good ole boys" when his family is a local family.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, so it was Joe Gass? He actually isn't part of the political machine, to my knowledge. He's just a local businessman. But he IS very well-known in the county - done a TON of community work and been a member of a bazillion committees and organizations.

My understanding of the GOB is that it's simply someone who was born in the county, as opposed to the come-heres. In that definition, Joe Gass is certainly a GOB. When they say the "GOB network" they're talking politics.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
As I stated in a previous thread, anyone opposed to a good old boy network is just what Dems said, a hypocrite. When/if these Republican candidates get in office, I guess they would never do anything to help out somebody they know. You think McKay, Gass, Dement, Jarboe or Gray wouldn't do something to help out old friends?

I think the good old boy system in all aspects of county life is a synonym for helping out one another and watching a friend's back. Anybody, politician or otherwise, with any decency is going to do what they can to help out a friend, period. This system is used in all aspects of government, from District Court right down to liquor board or rec & parks hearings, and I think it's the way things should be.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by tipsy mcgee
As I stated in a previous thread, anyone opposed to a good old boy network is just what Dems said, a hypocrite. When/if these Republican candidates get in office, I guess they would never do anything to help out somebody they know. You think McKay, Gass, Dement, Jarboe or Gray wouldn't do something to help out old friends?

I think the good old boy system in all aspects of county life is a synonym for helping out one another and watching a friend's back. Anybody, politician or otherwise, with any decency is going to do what they can to help out a friend, period. This system is used in all aspects of government, from District Court right down to liquor board or rec & parks hearings, and I think it's the way things should be.

Agreed, unless it involves illegal activities.

wildcat

"Some of this sounds like a lot of the newer county residents have been watching too much Dukes of Hazzard." - Tonio

There is no such thing as 'too much Dukes of Hazzard'. :razz2:

"I thought it was hilarious to read Joe Gass criticizing 'good ole boys' when his family is a local family." - Tonio

Being local, like Joe Gass, does not mean you have access to the back-door of County Government. I think the Good Old Boys represents the group of people that have or grant special access in our County Government.

It seems that certain people in the County get special deals. It could be a coincidence, but sometimes I have to wonder.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
The only time there is too much Dukes of Hazzard is when they brought in those goofy cousin spin-offs, Coy and that other goofball.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Okay, so it was Joe Gass? He actually isn't part of the political machine, to my knowledge. He's just a local businessman. But he IS very well-known in the county - done a TON of community work and been a member of a bazillion committees and organizations.

My understanding of the GOB is that it's simply someone who was born in the county, as opposed to the come-heres. In that definition, Joe Gass is certainly a GOB. When they say the "GOB network" they're talking politics.

Good point, vrai. Some newcomers assume that anyone with a local name such as Vallandingham, Duke or Gardiner is automatically part of the GOB network. Like being from a local family entitles someone to extra benefits, such as the right to ignore the zoning ordinance, or fewer taxes. I know plenty of people from local families who would say, "If that's right, where's mine?"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I know a ton of Raleys, Mattinglys and Guys that are living in trailer parks. They are certainly GOBs but they're NOT part of the GOB network. Does that make sense?

Typically you become part of the "network" by hobnobbing with the power guys - doing community work alongside them, serving on committees with them, etc. Once you've gotten in with the "in-crowd" it's a simple matter of picking up the phone if you have a problem. If they can't solve it for you, they'll put you in touch with someone who can. They won't put their personal well-being on the line for you BUT they do like to give out favors and call in favors of their own.

This works the same no matter where you go or what line of business you're in. There will always be a "mover and shaker" crowd that you'll want to get in good with.

tater

Originally posted by tipsy mcgee
The only time there is too much Dukes of Hazzard is when they brought in those goofy cousin spin-offs, Coy and that other goofball.

Man, I used to love that show. I watched it every Friday night when I was a kid. I was a youngin, I didn't even give a rat's a_s about Daisy at the time. :lmao:

Oops, sorry, off the subject :biggrin:

K

Kizzy

Man, I used to love that show. I watched it every Friday night when I was a kid. I was a youngin, I didn't even give a rat's a_s about Daisy at the time.

I did the same thing. I couldn't wait for Friday so I could watch the Dukes of Hazard. I can hear the tune in my head now! :biggrin:

K

Kizzy

This works the same no matter where you go or what line of business you're in. There will always be a "mover and shaker" crowd that you'll want to get in good with.

:clap: I see that in my job EVERYDAY!