TV signal reception

mus

I'm looking into dropping cable. I'm looking into utilizing an antenna to take advantage of some free TV. I'm in the California area. The websites that I've visited don't paint a pretty picture for reception in my area. Does anyone near me have any experience with using an antenna for TV reception?

Appreciate any advice.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I'm looking into dropping cable. I'm looking into utilizing an antenna to take advantage of some free TV. I'm in the California area. The websites that I've visited don't paint a pretty picture for reception in my area. Does anyone near me have any experience with using an antenna for TV reception?

Appreciate any advice.

Ask GWguy, he is cheap too.

I get about 30 channels using a small UHF antenna and a rotor. Many are 1080i, most are still 720, but still very sharp. I plan on upgrading to a full size long range antenna. It's also important that the antenna be grounded properly as per the instructions to provide the correct ground plane for best reception.

Gave up my satellite many years ago.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Ask GWguy, he is cheap too.

Appreciate any advice.

I get about 30 channels using a small UHF antenna and a rotor. Many are 1080i, most are still 720, but still very sharp. I plan on upgrading to a full size long range antenna. It's also important that the antenna be grounded properly as per the instructions to provide the correct ground plane for best reception.

See.
I told ya.

mus

Are you close to California? Is your current antenna indoors?

mus

3 blocks east of WallyMart. Outside.

Thanks. So do you think I'd be able to get away with an indoor antenna and still receive maybe 20 channels or would I need to get an outdoor rig as well? I'm keeping with DoWhat's M.O. of my good self.

An indoor won't cut it here. It would be in a fixed position, and you'd get minimal stations, maybe 2 or 4 from the Eastern Shore. Need a rotor to be able to swing the antenna to get different locations, and a small indoor antenna won't have enough gain, even with a booster amp.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Never mind. I just saw GW Guy's report. Definitely not the case in Hollywood, the 7th district, or certain areas around Lusby. Glad it works in California.

Last edited:

acommondisaster

Are completely pulling the cable out of your house (ie for internet, too)? If you are still going to have internet, have you thought about ROKU?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Are completely pulling the cable out of your house (ie for internet, too)? If you are still going to have internet, have you thought about ROKU?

Just did that.

Between the Roku and the laptop, I can watch just about everything I was watching before and I get to do it when I want.
The only thing I'm missing is Redskins football and apparently I didn't miss much today.

This might help with you antenna research
AntennaWeb - Address

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Just did that.

Between the Roku and the laptop, I can watch just about everything I was watching before and I get to do it when I want.
The only thing I'm missing is Redskins football and apparently I didn't miss much today.

This might help with you antenna research
AntennaWeb - Address

Had an older ROKU and was not impressed. The Xbox has what the ROKU has with a better interface (unless they changed it). Been cable (TV) free for over 6 months and I have not missed much. I do however wish HULU would put their online content on th streaming devices. So many more options, the ChromeCast has seemed to help with that.

:gossip: I know of a way to stream sports channels for free using flash. Unfortunately you have to deal with a variable bit rate which can be of no issue if you can find a good stream. Interesting watching American football on channels from countries like Spain, Britain and Italy. Still has the American announcers too.

glhs837

Power with Control
Had an older ROKU and was not impressed. The Xbox has what the ROKU has with a better interface (unless they changed it). Been cable (TV) free for over 6 months and I have not missed much. I do however wish HULU would put their online content on th streaming devices. So many more options, the ChromeCast has seemed to help with that.

:gossip: I know of a way to stream sports channels for free using flash. Unfortunately you have to deal with a variable bit rate which can be of no issue if you can find a good stream. Interesting watching American football on channels from countries like Spain, Britain and Italy. Still has the American announcers too.

We have ended up relegating the Roku to the sunroom TV and using the PS3 for Netflix in the living room.

Interesting, so an indoor antenna may work for him

I tried it. Just not enough signal here, even with a booster. And because the stations vary tremendously in direction, you need a rotor to align to them.

I'm not suggesting he abandon the idea, just don't expect stellar results.

willie

Way way back in history when the Redskins were blacked out (low attendance), we had a Winegard antenna, probably the grandfather of this one:
Amazon.com: Winegard HD8200U Platinum HD VHF/UHF Antenna: Electronics
It is BIG and in Drum Point, 85' above sea level, rotator and winegard amplifier. It would pick up Richmond like it was transmitting from Prince Frederick.
It is still in use today but the rotator is kaput and the amplifier was replaced with a Radio Shack model. It is pointed a few degrees West of magnetic North and picks up more stuff than I can count, including digital HD. It mainly keeps the grandkids entertained so I didn't bother with a rotator. There is a great website showing all the available stations from your exact location and there are a bunch more out there than where mine is pointed. That particular antenna is very directional.

Last edited:

hitchicken

Antenna near TJ bridge on Patuxent

mus:

I have a medium length outdoor antenna with pre-amp, rotor and powered signal splitter. It's about 20' of the ground. I am about 15' above the river.
Thus 35'. I get typically 40 channels. Some days I get more, some days a few channels less. Occasionally, Lancaster & Philly PA.

I too tired of paying exorbitant fees for second rate programming. I do have high speed internet through Metrocast. I stream using 3 Rokus and 2 computers and a tablet on my wifi. I pay $8 / month for Netflix. I have Amazon prime ($7/month)

The biggest complaint is occasional signal interruption from Navy aircraft.

About $200 for the entire hardware setup. After that, TV is free.
Hope this helps.