Snow days

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, I remember being a kid and getting an infrequent snow day. It was so exciting to wake up and see snow on the ground; sit and listen to the radio to see if they were going to cancel school. Then, if they did, you'd get your snow gear on and go outside to play, building snowmen with the other neighbor kids, making snow forts and having a snowball war. You'd come back inside frozen stiff and there'd be cocoa and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, which you'd wolf down so you could get back to your snowball war.

It was a rare treat.

So here's these poor kids these days who get snow days much more frequently, but they get to sit inside and be bored, whining incessantly and bothering their parents, because....there's no actual snow, just rain.

They really should quit with the rain days, send the kids to school, then let them have a day off when the weather breaks in spring instead of keeping them cooped up in a classroom when their heads are outside playing and no good for academics.

I need to run the world. The people in charge right now aren't doing it right.

KDENISE977

You know, I remember being a kid and getting an infrequent snow day. It was so exciting to wake up and see snow on the ground; sit and listen to the radio to see if they were going to cancel school. Then, if they did, you'd get your snow gear on and go outside to play, building snowmen with the other neighbor kids, making snow forts and having a snowball war. You'd come back inside frozen stiff and there'd be cocoa and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, which you'd wolf down so you could get back to your snowball war.

It was a rare treat.

So here's these poor kids these days who get snow days much more frequently, but they get to sit inside and be bored, whining incessantly and bothering their parents, because....there's no actual snow, just rain.

They really should quit with the rain days, send the kids to school, then let them have a day off when the weather breaks in spring instead of keeping them cooped up in a classroom when their heads are outside playing and no good for academics.

Watching the 5:00 a.m. news with husband laying in bed and he goes "Charles County YESSSSSS" because they were closed, I looked at him very weird and said "Dude, you're going to work" he said "I know, but it was such a thrill to hear it back when we were young, I still get excited". :wompwomp:

frequentflier

happy to be living

It was a rare treat.

Rarely did we have snow days in upstate New York and never did our parents drive us to school; which was about 1/2 mile away.
Kids today are spoiled!

Hank

my war

It was a rare treat.

So true. Good post.

KDENISE977

Rarely did we have snow days in upstate New York and never did our parents drive us to school; which was about 1/2 mile away.
Kids today are spoiled!

And your parents walked up hill both ways, paper bags on their feet too !! My parents were in Sayre, Waverly, Athens, and Chemung, NY !! FF

frequentflier

happy to be living
And your parents walked up hill both ways, paper bags on their feet too !! My parents were in Sayre, Waverly, Athens, and Chemung, NY !! FF

We used wonder bread bags in our snow boots because they usually leaked and had holes in them. Hand-me-downs. I am # 5 out of 6.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Yup. Right outside for the initial frolics (sledding-war-forts), come home, throw wet clothes in the dryer, get some warm grub, wait for the buzz sound of the dryer, get nice toasty clothes back on and repeat until we dropped or just had enough.

KDENISE977

Yup. Right outside for the initial frolics (sledding-war-forts), come home, throw wet clothes in the dryer, get some warm grub, wait for the buzz sound of the dryer, get nice toasty clothes back on and repeat until we dropped or just had enough.

and ALWAYS burned yourself with the hot zippers on your pants !!

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
We used wonder bread bags in our snow boots because they usually leaked and had holes in them. Hand-me-downs. I am # 5 out of 6.

We did that too, I am #7 out of 7. :lol:

My inner child just made Mac and Cheese with cut up hot dogs in it.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
So, is anybody doing any great cooking or baking today?

So far I have six dozen orange-chocolate chip cookies, six dozen molasses cookies, two fruitcakes, a large pan of Almond Joy brownies, and am about to embark on some fudge and some Oreo Balls.

I love this shiat. :biggrin:

glhs837

Power with Control
If I recall the cancellation rules in a suburb of Boston where I grew up, it was either 8 inches in 24 hours or 12 in 48, otherwise, school was ON.

I remember the huge ice rings that would build up on your pants cuffs and clank together, that and that quite often your hands were too cold to actually grab the zippers, you had to get help or wait...

frequentflier

happy to be living
If I recall the cancellation rules in a suburb of Boston where I grew up, it was either 8 inches in 24 hours or 12 in 48, otherwise, school was ON.

I remember the huge ice rings that would build up on your pants cuffs and clank together, that and that quite often your hands were too cold to actually grab the zippers, you had to get help or wait...

and frozen boogers.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member

So far I have six dozen orange-chocolate chip cookies, six dozen molasses cookies, two fruitcakes, a large pan of Almond Joy brownies, and am about to embark on some fudge and some Oreo Balls.

I was the great cook in this thread until you haaaad to post this. :rolleyes:

Did you say almond joy brownies? :faint: Sounds like heaven! :love:

Marinating some bottom round cubes for a crock pot stew. Might make some brownies.

Spent the morning cleaning the kitchen, taking the Holiday dinnerware down out of the closet, getting it all and washed and put out. Not that I'll have any dinner guests, but it looks nice anyway. Just so people can't call me a total Scrooge....

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!

YUp i was there too, Marshfield HS 1976. Maybe this is why MANY of the HS kids are just plain stupid!!! Too many days off, and noses in tech machines....

where did go to school in mass glhs?