AF Sgt shoots home invader, charged w/ murder

BOP

Air Force Sgt. Matt Pinkerton Fires 2 Fatal Shots at Home Intruder - Now Faces 2nd Degree Murder Charge - Freedom Outpost | Freedom Outpost

I was reading the article and I thought, "no wonder the home owner was charged...it happened in Maryland."

In the wee hours of the morning on September 13th, Air Force Sgt. Matt Pinkerton and his wife were entertaining guests at their home when an acquaintance of Mrs. Pinkerton’s came knocking.

It was 2 AM. After being told to leave by Matt Pinkerton, who closed the door, Kendall Green decided that he’d kick it in and force his way into the home.

Matt Pinkerton, having armed himself with his Glock17 9mm prior to approaching the door, then proceeded to discharge two rounds into Green.

Green was subsequently killed in an obvious act of self defense.

But the story didn’t end there, as it should have.

The district attorney’s office has now filed second degree murder charges against Sgt. Pinkerton.

You may be asking yourself under what pretext?

According to the DA, Pinkerton exhibited “bizarre behavior” by grabbing his weapon when an unexpected knock came to his door at 2AM that morning. And, because he failed to call 9-1-1 between the time Green kicked in his door and rushed him, he has now been charged with murder by the state.

BigBlue

Air Force Sgt. Matt Pinkerton Fires 2 Fatal Shots at Home Intruder - Now Faces 2nd Degree Murder Charge - Freedom Outpost | Freedom Outpost

I was reading the article and I thought, "no wonder the home owner was charged...it happened in Maryland."

In the wee hours of the morning on September 13th, Air Force Sgt. Matt Pinkerton and his wife were entertaining guests at their home when an acquaintance of Mrs. Pinkerton’s came knocking.

It was 2 AM. After being told to leave by Matt Pinkerton, who closed the door, Kendall Green decided that he’d kick it in and force his way into the home.

Matt Pinkerton, having armed himself with his Glock17 9mm prior to approaching the door, then proceeded to discharge two rounds into Green.

The district attorney’s office has now filed second degree murder charges against Sgt. Pinkerton.

According to the DA, Pinkerton exhibited “bizarre behavior” by grabbing his weapon when an unexpected knock came to his door at 2AM that morning. And, because he failed to call 9-1-1 between the time Green kicked in his door and rushed him, he has now been charged with murder by the state.

...a few more facts .....

Pinkerton, who is in the Air Force, suspected his wife was having an affair last year while he was on a work assignment in Korea, police said.

Pinkerton returned early from his Korea assignment and, upon entering his residence, found Green there with his wife, police said.

Jessica Pinkerton denied the allegations, police said. She would not comment on Monday.

O’Neill described the relationship between Jessica Pinkerton and Green as a “friendship.” When Jessica Pinkerton tried to end the relationship, Green continued to pursue it, O’Neill said.

Green and Matthew Pinkerton had at least one previous altercation, O’Neill said.

So far this year, there have been four homicides in the county and four more in the city of Annapolis.

officeguy

This was basically a domestic dispute / love-triangle situation. Not a great case to turn into an endorsement of home defense with a gun.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
...a few more facts .....

Pinkerton, who is in the Air Force, suspected his wife was having an affair last year while he was on a work assignment in Korea, police said.

Pinkerton returned early from his Korea assignment and, upon entering his residence, found Green there with his wife, police said.

Jessica Pinkerton denied the allegations, police said. She would not comment on Monday.

O’Neill described the relationship between Jessica Pinkerton and Green as a “friendship.” When Jessica Pinkerton tried to end the relationship, Green continued to pursue it, O’Neill said.
Green and Matthew Pinkerton had at least one previous altercation, O’Neill said.

so because you know the guy that kicked in your door at 2:00 am wants you gone so he can bang your wife it's not OK to shoot him?

itsrequired

Weren't the charges in this case dropped after prosecutorial review?

NextJen

Raisin cane
If anyone kicks in my door at 2 o'clock in the morning and comes into my home, I will consider that they intend to do me harm and I will protect myself.

KDENISE977

So according to this, I'm okay to shoot the guy.... as long as I don't know him ahead of time or know who he is :shrug: is that right:

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
I find the hardest thing to understand here is why nobody not even guests called 911 when it started or during the attempt to kick the door in. A door usually isn't that easy to kick in, so that buys some time. Leads me to believe it was personal not self defence. An opportunity for personal vendetta with witnesses.

Sorry... I do believe in the right to protect ones home, but like most things its a case by case deal.

:coffee:

NextJen

Raisin cane
"According to the DA, Pinkerton exhibited “bizarre behavior” by grabbing his weapon when an unexpected knock came to his door at 2AM that morning."

I don't consider this bizarre behavior at all.

KDENISE977

"According to the DA, Pinkerton exhibited “bizarre behavior” by grabbing his weapon when an unexpected knock came to his door at 2AM that morning."

I don't consider this bizarre behavior at all.

At 2A.M. if you're NOT expecting company and someone is knocking on your door, you bet your sweet ass my husband is armed !!

MadDogMarine

Weren't the charges in this case dropped after prosecutorial review?

I could find no such indication! At least not in Maryland.
Charges against PA man for shooting at intruder dropped under Castle Doctrine Law

But Maryland is certainly acquiring a reputation.
Deranged Maryland State Attorney charges man with 2nd degree murder for not calling 911 while being charged by home invader | Liberal Logic 101

A man's home is his castle, except in Maryland. Man shoots intruder at 2am, gets charged with murder - Bullets First | Bullets First
A man’s home is his castle, except in Maryland. Man shoots intruder at 2am, gets charged with murder

The Pinkerton Case: Be Glad You Don’t Live In Maryland | Stately McDaniel Manor

His mistake"" He didn't parrot the correct words!
"I was in fear for my life"- " I was in fear for my life"
Not sure that would have even made a difference with this prosecutor.

MadDogMarine

Don't shoot someone who you know is boinking your wife. Looks bad.

That doesn't appear that to be the facts.
It appears to be a spurned "wanna be" lover.

A man
The intruder, Kendall Green, had reportedly been harassing Matt’s wife, Jessica. Green had been a friend who helped Jessica when her brother was in a coma after being involved in a accident while Matt was overseas.
All evidence points to Jessica only maintaining a friendship with Green yet when he pushed for more she ended the friendship completely.

glhs837

Power with Control
I find the hardest thing to understand here is why nobody not even guests called 911 when it started or during the attempt to kick the door in. A door usually isn't that easy to kick in, so that buys some time. Leads me to believe it was personal not self defence. An opportunity for personal vendetta with witnesses.

Sorry... I do believe in the right to protect ones home, but like most things its a case by case deal.

Unless someone took extra steps, most doors are actually pretty easy to kick in.

itsrequired

This is the exception and not the rule. I have seen numerous cases in Maryland where people have broken into someone's home, that person used deadly force and no charges were brought. I guess we will have to wait for the trail to get the rest of the story, or see this man aquitted.

itsrequired

Doors kick open pretty easy. Usually the first kick.