cable companies??

NurseSherri

ok, so I ended up going with Metrocast because there is a clause in the HOA here saying no satellite for tv... that being said, this is the crappiest cable I have EVER had in my life! Seems like they have a total monopoly and that isn't fair for the people of Leonardtown. Are there options that I am not aware of? I'm going to ask the HOA for permission because the back of our house is not visible to anybody; it backs into a steep hill. I'm being price gauged! And they don't even give you a box for the "extra rooms" unless you pay them some $20 extra per month rental fee... so we can't even get all the digital channels and there are no labels on the channels so you have no idea what you are watching!! SO ANNOYED!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
ok, so I ended up going with Metrocast because there is a clause in the HOA here saying no satellite for tv... that being said, this is the crappiest cable I have EVER had in my life! Seems like they have a total monopoly and that isn't fair for the people of Leonardtown. Are there options that I am not aware of? I'm going to ask the HOA for permission because the back of our house is not visible to anybody; it backs into a steep hill. I'm being price gauged! And they don't even give you a box for the "extra rooms" unless you pay them some $20 extra per month rental fee... so we can't even get all the digital channels and there are no labels on the channels so you have no idea what you are watching!! SO ANNOYED!

HOA is bul$hit.
Go with Metrocast for internet and Direct TV for TV.

There is an FCC (FEDERAL Communications Commission) ruling that says NO ONE can prevent you from installing an antenna, whether for satellite or over-the-air.

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov

As directed by Congress in Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the Federal Communications Commission adopted the Over-the-Air Reception Devices (“OTARD”) rule concerning governmental and nongovernmental restrictions on viewers' ability to receive video programming signals from direct broadcast satellites ("DBS"), broadband radio service providers (formerly multichannel multipoint distribution service or MMDS), and television broadcast stations ("TVBS").

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

Tell the HOA to go suck an egg.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, many HOAs put that in, some know it's not a legal prohibition, but hope you dont know that.

Caution

Chech your HOA rules. Some actually say the dish has to be a certain size. In other words not one of those monster dishes. Also HOA might let you go with it if it is not seem from the road. Might be worth talking to a member and asking.

Caution

Yep, many HOAs put that in, some know it's not a legal prohibition, but hope you dont know that.

Ya I was on an HOA board for a while because some of their rules were stupid. I was the one that did most of the legal research for everyone else so I was able to put my own spin on things. I eventually had them just letting everyone get dish that wanted it.

Caution

Great post. I never knew that.

Something else that I ran into was they had all sorts of rules on what you could do in your backyard. Like hanging fabrics. I put a 6 foot privacy fence up and had a neighbor complain because my ex hung clothes out sometimes. I walked my happy ass right into her yard, walked up on her deck and started taking pictures.

I took those pics to the HOA and said you can't see my clothesline from her property or anyone else's for that matter so it stays. Lol

Caution

I cannot imagine having a HOA and having to follow their rules.

Some are anal. The one where we lived were not too bad. The Rules, were initially put into place by the builders. Not the homeowners. The homeowners only took over enforcing the rules after the last home was built and the builder turned it over.

The trouble was, in order to do away with the rules, we had to have at least 85% vote to do away with the rules.

So when I moved there I already knew a member on the board as I worked with him and he talked me into joining. Even though we could not change or do away with the rules, we could choose how we interpreted and enforced some of them. If you never mowed your yard, we would hire a lawn service company to do it for you, even pay them. Then put a lien on your house for the amount owed. So at least everyone made an honest effort at taking care of their property.

But there were some rules like having boats. We did not enforce that policy unless we got a complaint. When we did, we would talk to the homeowner and say look can you just put it behind your house and get it off the street. Usually we had no major problems.

But HOAs have their pros and cons. All depends on what you want you property value to be when you go to sell.

MMM_donuts

I think metrocast sucks.

A few years ago we were told by a few installers that we cannot have a dish because our tree line it too high or something crazy like that. We're not big fans of those either. Same goes for one of those HD antennas.

If it weren't for football, we wouldn't have any kind of cable. Even football is in jeopardy because half our games must be streamed via the internet anyways. We're keeping our fingers crossed that football channels get a modern upgrade soon so we can get rid metrocast tv.

We've had some very serious problems with the internet in the past but we haven't had any complaints for the past couple of years.

glhs837

Power with Control
Generally, almost any place can have one, but the free install only really covers a basic install, creative ones or ones requiring anything involving labor just get blown off. Not to mention the quality of the install is usually pretty bad.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Price gauged....:killingme

Metrocast gives you (2) free DTA's for your TV's.

Jeter3000

Price gauged....:killingme

Metrocast gives you (2) free DTA's for your TV's.

Bought 2 HDTV "ready" sets as gifts recently. Retailer assured me they were compatible, no converter boxes needed. I returned them on the 26th. I loathe Metrocast. They can suck it.