Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Curious

Just Curious

For the power boaters: When heading into the wind/against the swell, I have seen a lot of boats and "personal watercraft" doing "belly flops" as they plane and drop back down between the waves. I can only imagine that it would be hard on the craft and any equipment on board, not to mention the spinal columns of people on board. What's the result of the pounding? Do you avoid doing it but have to sometimes, or do you do it intentionally because it's fun?
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!

Gel Coat crazing. Could crack, soften or detach transom. In time will soften the hull and deck due to flexing. Depends on boat and degree of beating.

Women should avoid this at all costs.
    Je suis prest

Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    Women should avoid this at all costs.
    LOL. Or wear a sports bra.

You should cut across the waves at a 45 - 65 degree angle if possible.

I would do it occasionally in my go fast boat to get air born but it became less fun the older I got.

I believe RR caught some air with me some years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICit View Post
    .... i just swallowed... I was lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Baja28 View Post
    LOL. Or wear a sports bra.

You should cut across the waves at a 45 - 65 degree angle if possible.

I would do it occasionally in my go fast boat to get air born but it became less fun the older I got.

I believe RR caught some air with me some years ago.
    You hurt my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    You hurt my back.
    I told you to bend your knees.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICit View Post
    .... i just swallowed... I was lucky

Zig zag, span the swells or throttle so you slide down the back side depending on how big they are.

Big air with soft landings are hard to master but are fun once you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Baja28 View Post
    I told you to bend your knees.
    Bad you...
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    For the power boaters: When heading into the wind/against the swell, I have seen a lot of boats and "personal watercraft" doing "belly flops" as they plane and drop back down between the waves. I can only imagine that it would be hard on the craft and any equipment on board, not to mention the spinal columns of people on board. What's the result of the pounding? Do you avoid doing it but have to sometimes, or do you do it intentionally because it's fun?
    Sounds to me like a matter of too little speed for too little of a boat and swells that are too big. If your boat can't get enough speed up to glide over the tops of the swells without dropping down into them you need to throttle back.

Captain of the boat might think it's good for kicks for a few minutes but chances are most of his ride along are gonna be miserable and are thinking this is the last time I go out with this retard again.

I know one lady who suffered a broken hip from this. Some boats are meant to take swells better than others,
    Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do

hobieflyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    You mentioned the power boats, but I have a 16' Hobiecat. I love flying across the large waves, become airborne and then drop down between the waves. All part of the fun. Yeah, the girls have their bikinis on. But, I am too busy controlling the boat to look. I always wear reflective sunglasses. Of course it is only for the UV protection!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.