Service Dogs.org

JoeR

To me it looks like more of a money making scam more than anything else. I looked all through the website and no where on it do they mention any affilations with any actual service dog training organizations. All this is to buy products from them. In the registration process I didn't see anywhere they ask if the dog has received actual training by a service dog organization. I think if someone gets a actual service dog from a group that trained and placed the dog they would provide these items. Both of my dogs are ceritfied therapy dogs and I've had people say I should get them "service" dog vests to allow me to take them anywhere with me. I try to explain to them what I believe the difference between service and tharapy dogs are.

SSDsomd

Please don't get a service dog this way!!

I completely agree with Joe, and cannot stress enough that this is NOT the right way to get a service dog. I know and understand that it is by far the fastest and cheapest way to get your pet dog to be allowed to go places with you, but it is NOT best for your dog, you, or other service dogs.

Assistance Dogs International (ADI) is an international coalition of non-profit organizations which work with all kinds of assistance dogs. ADI has put standards in place to help determine which dogs (and organizations to train them) are safe to have out in public. Many other countries require proof that your service dog has met these standards, however here in the US we do not have such a law- and websites like the one you found- know, and take advantage of that.

I have a professional background in training service dogs, and I cannot express enough that not all super-loving, well-behaved dogs are cut out to be service dogs. Most ADI programs specifically breed service dogs, which begin their training the day they are born. These are dogs which have been exposed to new sights/sounds/places since they were born- Yet, on average, only 50% of these dogs will actually become working service dogs. This is because at some point during the 2 year training process, professional trainers have noticed signs of the dogs becoming stressed or unhappy with the pressures of service dog life.

An ADI program has you, and your dog's best interest at the heart of what they do so they will only certify a dog they are confident will handle life out in public well. ADI programs will also take the time to teach you how to use your dog most effectively and how to handle issues that arise. Additionally, most ADI programs do regular retests, so if your dog begins to develop an issue years into it's career then a professional can spot it quickly (before it becomes a major problem) and help you resolve it.

Almost all ADI organizations have an owner-trained program, so if you need a service dog (i.e., you have a disability which drastically limits your daily functioning) and you feel that your pet dog is up to the job, then I urge you to find an ADI accredited organization to work with. Their program search is at this link: http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/members/programs-search/

If you do not genuinely need a service dog, but want to find a way a way for your dog to help people, then a therapy dog certification is a great idea. Or, if you want to spend more time with your dog out in public then find local stores which allow pets (most hardware stores and pet stores are good places to start). Agility or rally programs are also fun ways to spend time working and strengthening your bond with your dog.

I apologize for the somewhat outrageous length of this post- this is a topic near, and dear, to my heart and I hate to see people damaging their relationship with their dog (and their dog's quality of life) because they took the easy way out and just bought a "service dog" harness or tag off the internet.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I completely agree with Joe, and cannot stress enough that this is NOT the right way to get a service dog. I know and understand that it is by far the fastest and cheapest way to get your pet dog to be allowed to go places with you, but it is NOT best for your dog, you, or other service dogs.

Assistance Dogs International (ADI) is an international coalition of non-profit organizations which work with all kinds of assistance dogs. ADI has put standards in place to help determine which dogs (and organizations to train them) are safe to have out in public. Many other countries require proof that your service dog has met these standards, however here in the US we do not have such a law- and websites like the one you found- know, and take advantage of that.

I have a professional background in training service dogs, and I cannot express enough that not all super-loving, well-behaved dogs are cut out to be service dogs. Most ADI programs specifically breed service dogs, which begin their training the day they are born. These are dogs which have been exposed to new sights/sounds/places since they were born- Yet, on average, only 50% of these dogs will actually become working service dogs. This is because at some point during the 2 year training process, professional trainers have noticed signs of the dogs becoming stressed or unhappy with the pressures of service dog life.

An ADI program has you, and your dog's best interest at the heart of what they do so they will only certify a dog they are confident will handle life out in public well. ADI programs will also take the time to teach you how to use your dog most effectively and how to handle issues that arise. Additionally, most ADI programs do regular retests, so if your dog begins to develop an issue years into it's career then a professional can spot it quickly (before it becomes a major problem) and help you resolve it.

Almost all ADI organizations have an owner-trained program, so if you need a service dog (i.e., you have a disability which drastically limits your daily functioning) and you feel that your pet dog is up to the job, then I urge you to find an ADI accredited organization to work with. Their program search is at this link: http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/members/programs-search/

If you do not genuinely need a service dog, but want to find a way a way for your dog to help people, then a therapy dog certification is a great idea. Or, if you want to spend more time with your dog out in public then find local stores which allow pets (most hardware stores and pet stores are good places to start). Agility or rally programs are also fun ways to spend time working and strengthening your bond with your dog.

I apologize for the somewhat outrageous length of this post- this is a topic near, and dear, to my heart and I hate to see people damaging their relationship with their dog (and their dog's quality of life) because they took the easy way out and just bought a "service dog" harness or tag off the internet.

Being in the line of work that I am, I deal with dog and dog owners all day long. I have seen a few that people just want to be able to take their dogs everywhere with them and use sites such as the one above to register their "service" dogs. One guy admitted he didn't have any medical conditions but that he just wanted to take his beloved Pom everywhere.

I also know people that have legit reasons even if it isn't obvious to the naked eye. One customer's dog can sense a stroke coming on. Another, an epileptic seizure. I do believe both of these people did so legitimately.

Roman

Being in the line of work that I am, I deal with dog and dog owners all day long. I have seen a few that people just want to be able to take their dogs everywhere with them and use sites such as the one above to register their "service" dogs. One guy admitted he didn't have any medical conditions but that he just wanted to take his beloved Pom everywhere.

I also know people that have legit reasons even if it isn't obvious to the naked eye. One customer's dog can sense a stroke coming on. Another, an epileptic seizure. I do believe both of these people did so legitimately.
I run in to the lady you spoke of with the white dog, that can sniff out Strokes, all the time. That dog she has is so well behaved. She said she has to take it to training about every 6 months, out of state. There is also a family in Calvert, that has a Service Dog that can alert to apnea!! (cessation of breathing)

frequentflier

happy to be living
I run in to the lady you spoke of with the white dog, that can sniff out Strokes, all the time. That dog she has is so well behaved. She said she has to take it to training about every 6 months, out of state. There is also a family in Calvert, that has a Service Dog that can alert to apnea!! (cessation of breathing)

You know exactly who I am talking about. I have known her for many years- prior to her having strokes. She travels extensively with her husband and it is wonderful the dog can go with her and them every place!

Roman

:blushing:
You know exactly who I am talking about. I have known her for many years- prior to her having strokes. She travels extensively with her husband and it is wonderful the dog can go with her and them every place!
I've seen them in Giant Food too. It's amazing, some of the glares they get. I'd like to hit them in the throat when I see it.

acommondisaster

Thanks for the well informed replies. The organization showed up in my Facebook feed and alarms went off. I knew this would be the right place to ask. :)

JoeR

Thanks for the well informed replies. The organization showed up in my Facebook feed and alarms went off. I knew this would be the right place to ask. :)

I plan to call some folks I know who are involved in training service dogs. I'm going to send them the website link and see if they've ever heard of this group. I think they might be interested in contacting them.