Keep your pet warm, healthy in cold temperatures

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"WASHINGTON - The weather will soon dip the lowest temperature the region has seen in 20 years. And if the outdoor air is too chilly for you, it's too cold for your pet, as well.

Despite fur coats and padded paws, dogs need protection from the elements just like their human companions.

Jenna Randall, a veterinarian with the Washington Animal Rescue League, says in extreme cold, a dog's natural fur is not enough. "

Keep your pet warm, healthy in cold temperatures (Video) - WTOP.com

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Bubba was pissed that I wouldn't let him out this morning. He'll thank me later.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I love trying to get my fat cat to go outside in bad weather. Trying to get away from me is the only time he runs. :lmao:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I'm glad I made that nicely insulated feral cat house last month for my feral. He/she just started using it last week. :yahoo: Enjoying the food station too.

Feel bad for him...he won't let me get close but we're working on it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is adequate shelter but Gidget refuses to use it because she's tarded. In fact there are a few different shelter options, not including the shelter I actually made them that they never use.

Every time it's raining and nasty, Kiki Stinkertoes is dry and warm while Gidget is soaked and a mess. So I guess Kiki isn't the dumb cat after all.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
My one dog drive me crazy... he wants to be outside sooo bad. But I dont want him to stay out that long.

mmmmmm.... I cant wait for some smow... in gonna toss the cats out in it and see what they do :jet: :killingme

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'm glad I made that nicely insulated feral cat house last month for my feral. He/she just started using it last week. :yahoo: Enjoying the food station too.

Feel bad for him...he won't let me get close but we're working on it.

It'll happen in time - they warm up - they always have, well except one I called Gray Boy - he never would let me do anything more than scratch his head when he was eating canned food.

I've got a kitty that's been eating the dry food I leave outside. I saw paw prints on my car last week - hey stop that! I can only hope the ferals go into one of the boxes or crates I have setup, or into the barn.
I am debating whether or not to hook up a couple of heat lamps for the chickens. It can be dangerous to run those heat lamps, so I'm thinking instead of jeopardize the barn, maybe I should put the senior chickens inside somehow? My old gal Lacey (yup same name at the JRT) is going to be 8 years old in a couple of months. She is losing weight and doesn't move well anymore. I am not sure she can handle near Zero temperatures. I have a couple others that are elderly that may need to come inside. It's not easy finding space in a tiny house to put 2 or 3 chickens, believe me, not to mention the smell. This is one of those times that having a spare bathroom would come in handy ... fill tub with pine shavings .... then add the chickens.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Have not seen the other two using them but we are stepping it up a bit for them. I am worried about them and the expected temps tonight.

I buy Sunbeam heating pads on Amazon that do NOT have auto-shut-off. I put the pad in a dog crate or similar spot, add a few small blankets or towels and the cats find their way to it on the covered deck not far from where they find the dry food I put out for them.

Roman

It'll happen in time - they warm up - they always have, well except one I called Gray Boy - he never would let me do anything more than scratch his head when he was eating canned food.

I've got a kitty that's been eating the dry food I leave outside. I saw paw prints on my car last week - hey stop that! I can only hope the ferals go into one of the boxes or crates I have setup, or into the barn.
I am debating whether or not to hook up a couple of heat lamps for the chickens. It can be dangerous to run those heat lamps, so I'm thinking instead of jeopardize the barn, maybe I should put the senior chickens inside somehow? My old gal Lacey (yup same name at the JRT) is going to be 8 years old in a couple of months. She is losing weight and doesn't move well anymore. I am not sure she can handle near Zero temperatures. I have a couple others that are elderly that may need to come inside. It's not easy finding space in a tiny house to put 2 or 3 chickens, believe me, not to mention the smell. This is one of those times that having a spare bathroom would come in handy ... fill tub with pine shavings .... then add the chickens.
I put my elderly Chicken in the utility basin when it gets real cold. It's in my small laundry room. I turn off the light, and shut the door, and she's fine. This is just at night.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
...... It's not easy finding space in a tiny house to put 2 or 3 chickens, believe me, not to mention the smell. This is one of those times that having a spare bathroom would come in handy ... fill tub with REALLY HOT WATER.... then add the chickens, CARROTS AND CELERY.... AND STIR.

:killingme :drool:

KDENISE977

Attachments

• image-3479268820.jpg
    image-3479268820.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 110

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I put my elderly Chicken in the utility basin when it gets real cold. It's in my small laundry room. I turn off the light, and shut the door, and she's fine. This is just at night.

I also have about half a dozen or so big combs, so I need to find the Vaseline to cover their combs - oh won't that be special - chasing down every big combed chicken to smear Vaseline on their heads. OMG I'm tired just thinking about it. Especially the Gigantic Dinosaur Rooster we have. Too bad I don't have anyone available to video tape that LOL.

I think I'll bring in the oldest ones that are acting frail. That may mean just 2 chickens inside. Big Mama is old but she's BIG and has lots of body fat. I think she will be okay since she sleeps in the nest box which helps her keep her body heat somewhat confined.