$250,000 candle....

Rt235

Surprised, (well not really) that there was no thread about this house fire from LUSBY yesterday.

Actually, not much current news is posted here anymore....

Anyway:

"The accidental fire occurred as a result of an unattended candle being left in the living room.

The estimated loss to the two story, single family structure is $200,000 and $50,000 to the contents."

How many times are we reminded not to do this...yet, sadly, it happens and 2 folks are "homeless".

If you need heat this time of year, contact your local government as there are warming centers opened!
No need to leave unattended flames or electrical heating units..as this could be the result.

Last edited:

Restless

I don't believe it said that the candle was being used for heat. I burn a candle or two almost daily for the nice fragrance it gives off and the soft light. This is a good reminder to check on them more often. I feel so badly for the family.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
Something similar burned down a friend of mines house years ago. One of his buddies left a citronella candle burning out on the porch one summer evening (to keep bugs off obviously) and the table it was on was wicker. The candle burned down, caught the table on fire, which then lit the porch and eventually the entire house.

Thankfully everyone inside (minus the dog:() made it out ok, but the house and everything in it was a total loss. I was actually there the night it happened, and left maybe 30 minutes before the fire started. Had I walked off the porch the "correct" way (ie, down the stairs) I'd have seen the candle. But I didn't..I hopped off the front of the porch (there was no railing) and walked straight through the woods to my car.

When my buddy called the next morning to tell me what happened I couldn't believe it..not until I drove back down and saw the house (or rather, what was left of it, which wasn't much).

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I only burn candles in the room I'm going to be in. Went to a friends house for a party and everyone was out back. I walked into the bathroom just in time to see a candle she had left burning on the sink catch the bottom of the curtain on fire. I grabbed a glass, filled it with water and threw it on the fire. That could have been so much worse.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My ex was in to the big decorative/scented candles and liked to leave them burn. One of those monsters can be holding a good cup or more of molten wax when one side of the "crater" decides to let go and spew all that molten wax over one side and on to whatever the candle was sitting on. Those big candles just do that..

Ironically, perhaps...we never had anything but close calls. My house burnt down instead from a chimney fracture. :whistle:

mitzi

If people put candles on proper non flammable things this wouldn't happen. Also away from curtins, towels, etc. My ex brought home a bunch of candles someone had given him once. They had been burned a little and they were STILL wrapped in the cellophane wrapper.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I have candles all over my house but am terrified to light them for this very reason. I'm the type of person that would light one and forget about it and go to bed. The only one I do light is a jar candle with the topper thingy on it that I keep on my kitchen stove. I also have a couple of the fake, flickery ones and feel much safer with those. :lol:

FED_UP

I don't believe it said that the candle was being used for heat. I burn a candle or two almost daily for the nice fragrance it gives off and the soft light. This is a good reminder to check on them more often. I feel so badly for the family.

Where did you read the candle was used for a heat source? No body is that crazy are they.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I think I'm the only female that isn't into candles. :ohwell: I'm not into shoes either so I must be a real freak. :lol: