Niacin flush last night - was hot, red, and itchy

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
A few weeks ago a new Dr. added Niacin to the bedtime medications I take to help reduce my cholesterol. So being cautious, I only took 1 Niacin pill (500 MG) initially to see how my body would react. Seemed to have no affect on me so after a couple weeks of that I started taking 2 of them to total the 1,000 MG I was instructed to take. A few days of that with no problem.

I was late getting to bed last night and took the now usual 1,000 MG of Niacin (probably took it around 11:30 PM?) and at 1 AM I woke up feeling hot and very itchy and I almost had a panic attack thinking that the Niacin I had taken was creating an allergic reaction that I would have to counter.

So I get online to research it and realized I could use my allergy RX to minimize the reaction, so I did and 15 minutes later I was back in bed. What I read said that the reaction is a normal one, as that means the Niacin is doing the intended job. If you reduce the affects of the Niacin you reduce the effectiveness of the benefit of taking it.

Has anyone else had this prescribed to them? How did you feel? Did the Niacin make you ITCHY?

I've been reading up on this:

Niacin (Vitamin B3) Uses, Effects (Niacin Flush), and More

Nutrition Tip of the Week--Counteracting the Niacin Flush

Roman

I probably should be taking Niacin myself..my Cholesterol is pretty high. I have heard about the Niacin flush, and it seems that there is a non-flush Niacin. You might want to look in to that after talking to your Doctor. I've never heard of anyone itching from it though..so it does sound like an allergic reaction. I'd stop taking it until you can talk to your Doc.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I probably should be taking Niacin myself..my Cholesterol is pretty high. I have heard about the Niacin flush, and it seems that there is a non-flush Niacin. You might want to look in to that after talking to your Doctor. I've never heard of anyone itching from it though..so it does sound like an allergic reaction. I'd stop taking it until you can talk to your Doc.

The research I did online said the non-flush Niacin compounds don't lower the cholesterol the same as the regular.

I get itchy from narcotic pain relievers too. It appears that I have been allergic to the aspirin family for most of my life, but I never knew until the past few years. I found out by taking meds for back issues that I have been trying like anti-inflammatory meds and pain relievers. Finally figured out by trial and feedback to Dr. that I have an allergy to the entire aspirin family which includes nsaid, anti-inflammatory, and a number of combo pain meds. I've had to do research to find other ways to reduce inflammation via supplements, food, etc. I'm a mess huh? LOL

Last edited:

Roman

The research I did online said the non-flush Niacin compounds don't lower the cholesterol the same as the regular.

I get itchy from narcotic pain relievers too. It appears that I have been allergic to the aspirin family for most of my life, but I never knew until the past few years. I found out by taking meds for back issues that I have been trying like anti-inflammatory meds and pain relievers. Finally figured out by trial and feedback to Dr. that I have an allergy to the entire aspirin family which includes nsaid, anti-inflammatory, and a number of combo pain meds. I've had to do research to find other ways to reduce inflammation via supplements, food, etc. I'm a mess huh? LOL
No..you're not a mess. Just sensitive to a lot of stuff, including vitamins. I can't take any of the "B" vitamins, because they get me super-hyper.

Chris0nllyn

Niacin will do that.

You can usually fight it off by taking 300 mg of aspirin half an hour before taking Niacin, taking one tablet of ibuprofen per day, or by taking the Niacin with a meal.

After a few weeks, the flushes tend to go away.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Niacin will do that.

You can usually fight it off by taking 300 mg of aspirin half an hour before taking Niacin, taking one tablet of ibuprofen per day, or by taking the Niacin with a meal.

After a few weeks, the flushes tend to go away.

I'm allergic to the aspirin family.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
beans, peas, chickpeas or lentils can reduce cholesterol

So I see this article and think - great I can lower my cholesterol with this and not take any more Niacin pills right?

"Eating one serving a day of beans, peas, chickpeas or lentils can significantly reduce 'bad cholesterol' and therefore the risk of cardiovascular disease, a new study has found. North Americans on average currently eat less than half a serving a day."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140407122749.htm

A few weeks ago a new Dr. added Niacin to the bedtime medications I take to help reduce my cholesterol. So being cautious, I only took 1 Niacin pill (500 MG) initially to see how my body would react. Seemed to have no affect on me so after a couple weeks of that I started taking 2 of them to total the 1,000 MG I was instructed to take. A few days of that with no problem.

I was late getting to bed last night and took the now usual 1,000 MG of Niacin (probably took it around 11:30 PM?) and at 1 AM I woke up feeling hot and very itchy and I almost had a panic attack thinking that the Niacin I had taken was creating an allergic reaction that I would have to counter.

So I get online to research it and realized I could use my allergy RX to minimize the reaction, so I did and 15 minutes later I was back in bed. What I read said that the reaction is a normal one, as that means the Niacin is doing the intended job. If you reduce the affects of the Niacin you reduce the effectiveness of the benefit of taking it.

Has anyone else had this prescribed to them? How did you feel? Did the Niacin make you ITCHY?

I've been reading up on this:

Niacin (Vitamin B3) Uses, Effects (Niacin Flush), and More

Nutrition Tip of the Week--Counteracting the Niacin Flush

You can buy no-flush niacin... :coffee:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You can buy no-flush niacin... :coffee:

"Products labelled as "no-flush" niacin generally contain no nicotinic acid. The main component in these products is inositol hexanicotinate (a different form of vitamin B3 mentioned earlier). While inositol hexanicotinate works as other B vitamins work to promote energy metabolism and nervous system health, it has not been shown to have any effect on cholesterol levels. This product does not cause flushing because it does not work the same way as niacin."

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_section_details.asp?text_id=5495&channel_id=44&relation_id=48477

20 MG Crestor daily and MINOR diet modification has cut my total cholesterol from 344 to 182 since December.

Now I have to make a major diet modification though. Gotta cut the carbs to bring the triglycerides down.

onelove6366

Ark -have you looked into natural/organic alternatives? I do not have high cholesterol or high BP so I'm not familiar with any organic alternatives for this but would think it would be worth it to look into it. I went organic/GMO free a few months ago and life has changed quite a bit! All of my food shopping is at MOM's Organic Market in Waldorf. They have an extensive wellness section that has a large selection of natural alternatives and people there to help point you in the right direction. There's nothing wrong with some research online too. I am taking Ginger, Rhodolia, Tumeric and several other supplements now. I also am working to get my doctor to prescribe a natural thyroid replacement medication for me called NatureThroid to replace the synthetic replacement I am on now. Getting the chemicals out of the food you are eating should be the first step in the direction to get your levels down. I would use drugs like Crestor as a last resort but who am I to say? I don't have the issue to worry about but my husband does and he is on Crestor. He believes in eating organic/GMO free but he doesn't buy into the supplements and stuff I have heard that you have to be careful with Niacin and clearly you need to be extra careful! Ginger has natural anti-inflammatory properties and I am sure other natural supplements do as well but I am not that well versed yet.... I hope you are able to find something that helps soon.