St. Marys schools delayed 2 hrs

ZARA

Schools Two Hour Delay: All St. Mary's County Public Schools, including FULL day Head Start, will have a delayed opening of two hours for Friday, January 10, 2014. A.M. Pre-Kindergarten and A.M. Head Start students will not have school. However, there will be classes for P.M. Pre-Kindergarten and P.M. Head Start students.

Employee Code 1: Schools have a delayed opening of two hours. Ten and eleven-month employees report to work two hours late. Twelve-month employees report to work up to two hours late but no later than 9:20 a.m. Food service workers are to report to work no later than 9:00 a.m. All employees normally beginning their day after 9:20 a.m. are to report to work on time. *Designated emergency personnel will report to work on time.

SMCPS - Home

Why?

Severa

Common sense ain't common
Weird. One of my coworkers texted me right before 6am asking if there was a delay. I said wasn't sure, checked the SMCPS site on my phone, didn't see anything. Got dressed, put on makeup, checked the site on my desktop computer. NOW it's up there. And apparently they called at 5:37 this morning and I didn't hear a thing.

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Water freezes at 32 degrees, and we are mostly water. Can't have our babies run the risk of freezing their tootsies off, now can we? :coffee:

Severa

Common sense ain't common
Excuse I heard was "icy roads". Since when? Nothing happened last night.

Apparently we're under a freezing rain advisory till 9am. Still think it's a BS reason for a 2 hr delay, but that's just my guess as to why we have a delay.

SamSpade

Apparently we're under a freezing rain advisory till 9am. Still think it's a BS reason for a 2 hr delay, but that's just my guess as to why we have a delay.

From what I read on WTOP.com, apparently schools up north around the state and in Virginia have the same call - two hour delay. But they MIGHT actually have ice on the streets.

pebbles

I have to say that even I was confused when I got the phone call this morning. I was like did I miss something???? I was fine with the 2 hour delay for the really cold day due to buses starting & school heat not being able to keep up etc but today????? I really don't understand. But whatever, my kid got to sleep in some. :buddies:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
the roads were fine

but the untreated parking lot and sidewalk at work were frozen over with ice

[bowie area]

ZARA

I have to say that even I was confused when I got the phone call this morning. I was like did I miss something???? I was fine with the 2 hour delay for the really cold day due to buses starting & school heat not being able to keep up etc but today????? I really don't understand. But whatever, my kid got to sleep in some. :buddies:

Same here. Except my kid didn't get to sleep in. I made him get up. lol

KDENISE977

Not sure about St. Mary's but Charles County roads were a mess. Accidents all over. My normal commute from Hughesville to Upper Marlboro easily took twice as long and Brandywine Road had car accidents ALL the way up and down.

sm8

I love 2 hour delays so when hubby asked why my reply was does it even matter? Lazy morning for me, yay!