Tankless electric water heater anyone?

davidsonville

I'm looking for feedback from someone who has a residential, on-demand / tankless water heater who is also on well water. Why? I'm wondering if the well water deposits quickly cake on the elements of this heater thus requiring a lot of maintenance on the in-line water filtration add on.

If anyone has done this I'd be very appreciative of a response including the make and model of the tankless unit you purchased. I am assuming there might be a difference in electric vs. gas elements but it may not really matter eh?

thanking you in advance.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm looking for feedback from someone who has a residential, on-demand / tankless water heater who is also on well water. Why? I'm wondering if the well water deposits quickly cake on the elements of this heater thus requiring a lot of maintenance on the in-line water filtration add on.

If anyone has done this I'd be very appreciative of a response including the make and model of the tankless unit you purchased. I am assuming there might be a difference in electric vs. gas elements but it may not really matter eh?

thanking you in advance.

I have gas tank less and am on a well.. If you can do gas I would suggest it.. electrics need 2 220v lines, big electric hogs. But part of your regular maintenance is to bypass your input and output and pump vinegar through the system.. I have a 5 gallon bucket, and run the line to the heater and back to the bucket and circulate the vinegar through about an hour. Seems to keep it clean.. though I'm past due on getting it done.

nutz

thanking you in advance.

Yes, I did a couple of months ago. So far, no issues except when the power went out, I forgot to reset the thermostat on the unit. I used an Ecosmart unit.
http://forums.somd.com/home-garden/281934-hybrid-water-heaters.html

nutz

I have gas tank less and am on a well.. If you can do gas I would suggest it.. electrics need 2 220v lines, big electric hogs. But part of your regular maintenance is to bypass your input and output and pump vinegar through the system.. I have a 5 gallon bucket, and run the line to the heater and back to the bucket and circulate the vinegar through about an hour. Seems to keep it clean.. though I'm past due on getting it done.

Actually, mine needed 3 dedicated 220, 40 Amp breakers. AND, I'm still saving electricity. I didn't replace an electric bill with a gas bill. Not a big deal if you can do these things yourself.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Actually, mine needed 3 dedicated 220, 40 Amp breakers. AND, I'm still saving electricity. I didn't replace an electric bill with a gas bill. Not a big deal if you can do these things yourself.

True, but it takes a LOT of electricity to get to the BTUs gas can get you much cheaper.

I've got a condensing gas Noritz... unbelievably efficient.

OldHillcrestGuy

thanking you in advance.

Thats a great question. I am on well water also and my current water heater is about 14 years old, and with all this tankless talk now, Ive been thinking that if the day came to replace maybe looking into tankless may be the way to go. I should really start investigating this tankless heater and see what the cost is of everything, compared to another electric water tank heater.:buddies:

RPMDAD

OHG, i am looking also, however our current water heater is gas, so looking at the tankless gas / propane ones. Would probably have to get the electrical service upped, if i went electric. Breaker box is already full.

I don't have a lot of usage, so I'm considering the hybrid water heater. It's really a heat pump with electric high demand. Supposed to be very efficient. Downside is that it needs a drain, as the heat pump acts like a dehumidifier and I don't have a drain in the basement. Have to get creative here.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I don't have a lot of usage, so I'm considering the hybrid water heater. It's really a heat pump with electric high demand. Supposed to be very efficient. Downside is that it needs a drain, as the heat pump acts like a dehumidifier and I don't have a drain in the basement. Have to get creative here.

I would think with little usage the tankless is even more beneficial... The idea being the tankless only heats the water when you need it.. whereas a tank type heater is constantly keeping your water hot despite how little you use.. 80 gallon tank or 40 gallon tank is still heating all of that water all day even if you aren't using any.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
We have had one for the past couple years I think.
Well water and we use propane.
Taylor Gas installed it.
And I have never done any type of maintenance on it.

But I ain't Bob.

But we have had no problems here.
Works great.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We have had one for the past couple years I think.
Well water and we use propane.
Taylor Gas installed it.
And I have never done any type of maintenance on it.

But I ain't Bob.

But we have had no problems here.
Works great.
Run the vinegar through it, you'll be amazed what comes out..

nutz

A condensate pump would do it.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I have had one for eight years, use gas, well water and never done any maintenance, works great.
I have a large home and when we have a houseful of guests, everyone gets hot water all the time even during simultaneous showers.

I think they are great.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have had one for eight years, use gas, well water and never done any maintenance, works great.
I have a large home and when we have a houseful of guests, everyone gets hot water all the time even during simultaneous showers.

I think they are great.

Suggest you Google how to descale your water heater if you want it to make it to ten years.. though at this point the scaling may be the only thing holding it together.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
A condensate pump would do it.

Mine runs into the same pump as the furnace/ heatpump..

And commencing descaling operations...

Attachments

• 20140120_191546.jpg
    20140120_191546.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20140120_193717.jpg
    20140120_193717.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just for you..

Well that beer is on the floor only because the two beer fridges are full...

Attachments

• 20140120_195048.jpg
    20140120_195048.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 132

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Mine runs into the same pump as the furnace/ heatpump..

And commencing descaling operations...

Your wife should buy you some socks without holes in them.

And while she's at it, she should make you a sammich. Right, DoWhat?

(Left foot, big toe)