I see a connection about Maryland being....

GregV814

Democratic, voting for these wackjobs in the Statehouse and Whitehouse!!!!

WASHINGTON -- Maryland is a state with a serious marijuana arrest problem, according to the FBI’s 2011 annual Uniform Crime Report.

With 22,043 arrests for marijuana possession producing an arrest rate of 378 people per 100,000, Maryland ranked among the top five in marijuana possession arrests according to the most recent data available. This is not new for the Free State.

stgislander

PREMO Member
From my six months on the Grand Jury, if a drug case wasn't prescription drug related, it was marijuana related.

FED_UP

WASHINGTON -- Maryland is a state with a serious marijuana arrest problem, according to the FBI’s 2011 annual Uniform Crime Report.

With 22,043 arrests for marijuana possession producing an arrest rate of 378 people per 100,000, Maryland ranked among the top five in marijuana possession arrests according to the most recent data available. This is not new for the Free State.

I am sure most of them have a legitimate medical reason. :popcorn:

Chris0nllyn

Some interesting quotes form the article (I'll post the link below since it wasn't in the OP)

Experts say the numbers are in part the result of the war on drugs being focused on petty marijuana possession arrests starting in the 1990s. Some also attribute much of the increase to then-Baltimore Mayor and now Gov. Martin O’Malley, who helped introduce both statistics driven policing and zero tolerance policies to the state.

In the 1990s, the direction shifted back toward low-level marijuana possession arrests. According to FBI data, arrest numbers spiked across the country, rising from 213,453 in 1990, to 462,846 by 1999, an increase of more than 116 percent.

This increase in arrests was especially apparent in Maryland. From 1990-1999, the same FBI data show the number of marijuana possession arrests in Maryland rose from 6,278 to 16,184, an increase of more than 157 percent.

The acceleration of statewide arrest numbers began to plateau in the new century. But not in Baltimore.

From 2000-2007, Maryland’s overall marijuana possession arrest rate rose by 4,916 arrests per year, or 28 percent statewide.

During the same time period, Baltimore’s marijuana arrest rate surged by 3,686 arrests per year - more than 155 percent.

O’Malley ran on an anti-crime platform, advocating for “zero tolerance” policing. As a Baltimore city councilmen, O’Malley studied the drop in crime in New York City after “zero tolerance” was implemented and pushed for Baltimore to adopt the same policy.

“Zero tolerance” is a policing strategy that increases the focus on minor, non-violent offenses. The idea is based on the “broken windows” theory, which says if minor offenses are not met with strict enforcement, overall crime will increase.

O’Malley and his new New York City style of crime-fighting watched as Baltimore alone accounted for 75 percent of the increase in the marijuana arrest rate in Maryland.

“There is undoubtedly a correlation between higher petty marijuana possession arrest rates and the CompStat and “zero tolerance” policies brought in by O’Malley,” Franklin said.

Currently, Franklin said there is a stronger focus on getting guns off the street. But even if an officer’s main focus is searching a person for weapons, suspicion of marijuana possession is a great tool for law enforcement to initiate a “stop and frisk” on a person walking the streets.

However, with society shifting to a more marijuana-tolerant mentality, “stop and frisk” could become harder to initiate for police.

“It’s a very lively conversation in close police circles,” Franklin said. “They’re saying, ‘How are we going to search people at will if we lose marijuana (to legalization)?’”

But according to a recent poll conducted by Democratic-affiliated Public Policy Polling, 68 percent of Marylanders support decriminalization. Fifty-three percent support legalization similar to Colorado and Washington.

Franklin said that without changes from the top, policing culture is not likely to change.

“Law enforcement and officers get in the groove of doing something,” Franklin said. “And if society begins to make adjustments, law enforcement tends to be the last to make that change.

“Change needs to come from the top.”

Md. Has One of Highest Rates of Marijuana Possession Arrests - Southern Maryland Headline News

bilbur

If the federal government would just let the states make their own decision on the legalization of marijuana I think they would see a majority of the states would make it legal. Not only would the states save millions on arresting and prosecuting sellers and users they would also make millions at the state level and billions at the federal level in taxes. I have a federal job so I don't see it ever being legal for me to use it and I could care less about using it, I would benefit from the tax revenue though.

GregV814

Some interesting quotes form the article (I'll post the link below since it wasn't in the OP

Prissy l'il woman arent you.....oh well.....

but I made you do some research.

Chris0nllyn

Some interesting quotes form the article (I'll post the link below since it wasn't in the OP

Prissy l'il woman arent you.....oh well.....

but I made you do some research.

Because I posted quotes from an entire article, plus the link as required by the forum rules?

Ok.

:lol:

Malo

Because I posted quotes from an entire article, plus the link as required by the forum rules?

Ok.

:lol:

And then they will complain that the jails are too crowded, but they don't want to pay for new jails. Any concern for the 4th amendment and the stop and frisk as a pretext?

BernieP

Resident PIA
If the federal government would just let the states make their own decision on the legalization of marijuana I think they would see a majority of the states would make it legal. Not only would the states save millions on arresting and prosecuting sellers and users they would also make millions at the state level and billions at the federal level in taxes. I have a federal job so I don't see it ever being legal for me to use it and I could care less about using it, I would benefit from the tax revenue though.
and why do we have moonshiners and people running cigarettes without tax stamps?
Because there is good money to be made beating the taxman out of his due.

Which of course leads to the question, if it's legal, can you get stoned at work - as long as you smoke in the designated area?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
and why do we have moonshiners and people running cigarettes without tax stamps?
Because there is good money to be made beating the taxman out of his due.

Which of course leads to the question, if it's legal, can you get stoned at work - as long as you smoke in the designated area?

Can you have a couple of drinks at lunch now?