MD's new proposed "Hidden Compartment" law

Chris0nllyn

FOR the purpose of prohibiting a person from knowingly creating, building, or installing a certain hidden compartment in a motor vehicle; prohibiting a person from knowingly owning or operating a motor vehicle that contains a certain hidden compartment; establishing that a certain intent to use a certain enclosure in a certain manner may be established by the discovery of a person, contraband, or certain evidence of a person or contraband in the enclosure; establishing a certain penalty; authorizing the seizure of certain motor vehicles involved in a violation of this Act; requiring the forfeiture of certain motor vehicles seized under this Act; defining a certain term; and generally relating to hidden compartments in motor vehicles.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/bills/hb/hb0028f.pdf

Maybe you remember the story about Norman Gurley, the man arrested in Ohio for having a "hidden compartment" full of.....nothing.

Court Hearing Raises Questions About Bust For Secret Car Compartment - Reason.com

glhs837

Power with Control
It's the repeated use of the word "certain" that bothers me, seems like that term leaves a lot of leeway....... while I would like to think it would never be abused, I dont like it.

Hijinx

Do we really need this law?

It seems a huge waste of time to me, if someone wants to weld in a hidden compartment to hide their vacation money in. What happens if I happen to buy this car off a used car lot and do not know about the hidden compartment.?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
they had better not pass this in Colorado, the Marijuana Dealers will be in trouble

they will have to get an Armored Car Service.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
It's the repeated use of the word "certain" that bothers me, seems like that term leaves a lot of leeway....... while I would like to think it would never be abused, I dont like it.

Relax with your paranoia. Cops never abuse the rules.

:sarcasm:

itsrequired

Do we really need this law?

It seems a huge waste of time to me, if someone wants to weld in a hidden compartment to hide their vacation money in. What happens if I happen to buy this car off a used car lot and do not know about the hidden compartment.?

Where in this law does it say that is illegal?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This "law" is as broad as an axe, and ridiculous.

That. For example, what would prevent a gung-ho deputy from declaring any of the following an illegal "hidden" compartment:?

1. Under-seat lock box, passenger side of early Bronco.

2. Closure panels and "hidden" storage in dead space around rear Bronco wheel wells.

3. 3" PVC tube with end caps tucked up under inside of Bronco bed rail(s).

4. False bottom in Tuffy or eq. aftermarket center console.

5. Sealed metal box (ammo box or eq) tucked against firewall behind inner fenderwell.

I have - or have had - all of the above in various Broncos and pickups. Obviously, I'm some kind of scofflaw...right?

glhs837

Power with Control
I have - or have had - all of the above in various Broncos and pickups. Obviously, I'm some kind of scofflaw...right?

"Not at all, you, sir, are a drug dealer, or someone who makes stuff for drug dealers. Thats some tasty waterfront property you gots there....., and is that a boat? Be mighty handy for heading down to VA Beach for a pickup, wouldnt it, eh Fred? Bet ol Gilliigan here didn't count on them seizure laws....."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"Not at all, you, sir, are a drug dealer, or someone who makes stuff for drug dealers. Thats some tasty waterfront property you gots there....., and is that a boat? Be mighty handy for heading down to VA Beach for a pickup, wouldnt it, eh Fred? Bet ol Gilliigan here didn't count on them seizure laws....."

Ed zachary.

itsrequired

This "law" is as broad as an axe, and ridiculous.

Why do you generally lie to people?

FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, THE INTENT TO USE AN
17 ENCLOSURE TO HIDE A PERSON OR CONTRABAND MAY BE INFERRED BY THE
18 DISCOVERY, IN THE ENCLOSURE, OF:
19 (1) A PERSON OR CONTRABAND; OR
20 (2) EVIDENCE OF THE EARLIER PRESENCE OF A PERSON OR CONTRABAND.

It's not shocking that you would omit this portion to attempt to deceive. You have no integrity as you have shown numerous times here.

Toxick

Splat
FOR the purpose of prohibiting a person from knowingly creating, building, or installing a certain hidden compartment in a motor vehicle; prohibiting a person from knowingly owning or operating a motor vehicle that contains a certain hidden compartment; establishing that a certain intent to use a certain enclosure in a certain manner may be established by the discovery of a person, contraband, or certain evidence of a person or contraband in the enclosure; establishing a certain penalty; authorizing the seizure of certain motor vehicles involved in a violation of this Act; requiring the forfeiture of certain motor vehicles seized under this Act; defining a certain term; and generally relating to hidden compartments in motor vehicles.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Why do you generally lie to people?

It's not shocking that you would omit this portion to attempt to deceive. You have no integrity as you have shown numerous times here.

Better have your eyes checked. From teh quote in the OP

FOR the purpose of prohibiting a person from knowingly creating, building, or installing a certain hidden compartment in a motor vehicle; prohibiting a person from knowingly owning or operating a motor vehicle that contains a certain hidden compartment; establishing that a certain intent to use a certain enclosure in a certain manner may be established by the discovery of a person, contraband, or certain evidence of a person or contraband in the enclosure;

It's this part that concerns me. All my trucks will be illegal:

FOR the purpose of prohibiting a person from knowingly creating, building, or installing a certain hidden compartment in a motor vehicle; prohibiting a person from knowingly owning or operating a motor vehicle that contains a certain hidden compartment;