Radio Stations

OrneryPest

lower life form
Why aren't there any radio stations in Southern Maryland? Currently we have our morning wake-up clock radio tuned into something called "Star 98.3" which is not actually a radio station, it's nothing but hillbilly static. But it's the only thing our bedside radio can pick up. So what can we do?

glhs837

Power with Control
Why aren't there any radio stations in Southern Maryland? Currently we have our morning wake-up clock radio tuned into something called "Star 98.3" which is not actually a radio station, it's nothing but hillbilly static. But it's the only thing our bedside radio can pick up. So what can we do?

97.7 is about the only other hope you have.Can you attach a simple antenna to it? That might help.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
You can get an alarm clock that plays Ipod, Iphone or mp3 player, then you dont have to worry about a radio station.

I listen to an Eastern Shore station, 98.6 I think? when I can get it. But you're right, the radio availability down here is pretty poor.

Get a satellite radio for use in the house.

luvmygdaughters

Umm..You've been a member of the forums since 2006 and you don't know the radio stations? something called "Star 98.3 97.7 is classic rock, although I question what the DJ called "Classic Rock". 102.9 is the local country music station and 98.3 is the top 40 station. You may be able to get 98.7 WMZQ, I can pick it up sometimes and we live in Leonardtown.

xobxdoc

Umm..You've been a member of the forums since 2006 and you don't know the radio stations? something called "Star 98.3 97.7 is classic rock, although I question what the DJ called "Classic Rock". 102.9 is the local country music station and 98.3 is the top 40 station. You may be able to get 98.7 WMZQ, I can pick it up sometimes and we live in Leonardtown.

I believe their definition of classic rock is Pink Floyd and the Eagles over and over and over.........and over and over. Now I feel Noriega's pain when he was flushed out with AC/DC. I wouldn't mind AC/DC played as much as they play Pink Floyd and the Eagles though.

Last edited:

Rt235

Been around for 7+ years and you are just now figuring this out????? :killingme

Get a CD radio at the thrift shop and stick in a CD..as I doubt you have anything like an iPod or such!!!

Or better yet, just use your alarm on your "clock-radio"!!!! :coffee:

luvmygdaughters

I believe their definition of classic rock is Pink Floyd and the Eagles over and over and over.........and over and over. Now I feel Noriega's pain when he was flushed out with AC/DC. I wouldn't mind AC/DC played as much as they play Pink Floyd and the Eagles though.

:killingme and Stevie Ray Vaughn...I like SRV, but not continuously.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I only listen to the radio during my drive to/from work. I really like Robbie K-night. I have heard the other dj's here and there, and I like them, too. Robbie's my favorite, though. I like her FB page, too.

OrneryPest

lower life form
WKIK 102.9 is local and plays country music.

Yes, we can get 102.9, another source of hillbilly static. And there are several others. We occasionally get WNEW from Wash DC but not reliably. We occasionally get a music station from Salisbury but not reliably, and on rare occasions a music station from Richmond, but very faintly if at all.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Yes, we can get 102.9, another source of hillbilly static. And there are several others. We occasionally get WNEW from Wash DC but not reliably. We occasionally get a music station from Salisbury but not reliably, and on rare occasions a music station from Richmond, but very faintly if at all.

We're on an incredibly small peninsula, not like the state of FL, surrounded by water and just out of reach of DC. Do you honestly expect much else? Maybe in another 5-10 years and with more growth, we'll get another station like WKIK in a different music genre. But there's really not enough need or want for it around here just yet. You can't live all the way out there and expect services offered in more populated areas. Same goes for stores and restaurants. :shrug:

molly_21

This thread makes me glad I have XM in my car. Local radio blows. Even DC, Baltimore, and Annapolis have been sucking for years.

mitzi

:killingme and Stevie Ray Vaughn...I like SRV, but not continuously.

100.3 (when you can pick it up) is the same. Throw Fleetwood Mac in there continuously too. I can pick up 2 stations from the Northern Neck in Virginia (1 country, 1 classic rock) but I think they ALL have the same playlists.

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Stream Pandora on your computer or any other radio station that's on the internet

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Funnily enough for the "static", oldest daughter lives in St. Mary's, the rest of us live in northern Calvert and don't have any trouble receiving the three SoMD based stations.

Maybe some people are just morons who talk out of their ass.