Veritas Farm?

Sandy02

Anyone know what happened to Veritas Farm in La Plata off of Rt.6? I drove by it the other day and it looked empty, over grown and fences falling down.

nutz

Bankrupt....According to some, the owners didn't even let on until it was seized. Lot of scrambling going on to relocate horses. :coffee:

Sandy02

Wow that's a shame, but thanks for sharing. I know it will probably be a while but I hope someone buys it up and turns it back into a nice horse farm. I always heard it was a nice place, even through the different owners it had. Well, I guess I can cross that barn off my list of places to look into about board.

Sandy02

Hmmm well no worries because I don't believe I know which stable that is haha and Welcome would be a little hike for me. I'm trying to stay in the La Plata area or close to. Thanks for the tip though

MDres

I think nutz is referring to Triple D Farms, which is only about 3 1/2 miles away from Veritas on Rte 6/Port Tobacco Rd. It is just past Blue Dog Saloon, if you know where that is. It really isn't that far away at all...

I have no personal experience with the place, but they do have a website and facebook page if you wanted to check them out. I drive by the facility almost daily, and it appears very well kept from the road...

TTTGAS

Wow that's a shame, but thanks for sharing. I know it will probably be a while but I hope someone buys it up and turns it back into a nice horse farm. I always heard it was a nice place, even through the different owners it had. Well, I guess I can cross that barn off my list of places to look into about board.

Sad to see several barns going under.

Sandy02

Oh ok I actually have looked up that farm but i think its a little farther then what I wanted to travel. I was going to call and get prices just to see what their rate was. Thanks for letting me know! I am curious though why to stay away from that farm. I know everyone has different opinions and thoughts but it's always good to hear them. Nutz if u rather not say on here, could you message me? Thanks.

Sandy02

It is very sad. I hear people looking for places to board , like myself and yet I see so many horse barns empty and forgotten.

nutz

I think nutz is referring to Triple D Farms, which is only about 3 1/2 miles away from Veritas on Rte 6/Port Tobacco Rd. It is just past Blue Dog Saloon, if you know where that is. It really isn't that far away at all...

I have no personal experience with the place, but they do have a website and facebook page if you wanted to check them out. I drive by the facility almost daily, and it appears very well kept from the road...

Easy answer, Appearances can be deceiving. Unfortunately, I have 0 clue where you are going to find a decent stable within the town limits of LaPlata either.
I definitely would not chose Linden Farms on Mitchell Road. I've heard good things about Mary Goode's place next to Verita's, but have never been there.
Terry's place (Williford farms) on 301 is convenient and she and her husband are both very talented horse people. There is a newer place I've seen advertised, Southern Grace in BelAlton.

Sandy02

Yea I know the barn selection in La Plata is very limited, but if no luck there then I'm willing to venture out a little more. I am looking into checking out Willifords farm and seeing what they offer. I've already heard Linden is a big No No (heard that years ago actually) and Southern grace I've heard some pros and cons.
South Breeze is actually close to me and its beautiful!!! BUT what their price is for board is way outta my price range :(

nutz

And that is a huge part of the equation, what are you looking for? Just a place to park the horse and trailer or........

When you call or go to Williford, be sure and talk with Ken or Terry directly. You may get a little misinformed otherwise.

MDres

We boarded for about a month at Williford back in May 2012. The closing on our new house got pushed back and we were literally "homeless".

No complaints at all about our experience, and we were pretty demanding boarders at the time... We had a just-been-gelded breeding stud, and 2 old toothless horses that had to have super sloppy soaked feed 2x daily. Oh, and they were prone to choke, too. And we needed to park the trailer there...

Ken accommodated us without missing a beat, and took spectacular care of the horses. Everyone we met was extremely friendly and polite.

I've dealt with Ken on other occasions, too, about building a barn on our new property. He's just a great, honest, genuine guy!

nutz

We boarded for about a month at Williford back in May 2012. The closing on our new house got pushed back and we were literally "homeless".

No complaints at all about our experience, and we were pretty demanding boarders at the time... We had a just-been-gelded breeding stud, and 2 old toothless horses that had to have super sloppy soaked feed 2x daily. Oh, and they were prone to choke, too. And we needed to park the trailer there...

Ken accommodated us without missing a beat, and took spectacular care of the horses. Everyone we met was extremely friendly and polite.

I've dealt with Ken on other occasions, too, about building a barn on our new property. He's just a great, honest, genuine guy!

yep, Ken and terri are decent people to deal with. Always caring about the horses in their care.

Sandy02

I will defiantly look into Williford since I see these good reviews. Maybe I should of started a thread about barn reviews haha. I'm really just looking for somewhere that offers full stall board, well kept and safe barn, offers lessons or allows trainers to come there and has a nice riding ring and nice pastures. Trails would be a huge plus but not required because I know around here most barns don't have that feature, so that's no big deal. Of course a friendly place but as always, you never know that until your there!

erinjograves

It breaks my heart everytime I drive past my old farm (Veritas). My husband and I were even talking about trying to buy it back when it comes on the market. We shall see...

Mary Alice Good's barn is amazing...but I believe her board is over $400 a month.

Not sure how far south you want to go, but Dale Bowling has a nice place right off Rt 6 on Penns Hill Road.

Sandy02

Aww I'm sure that is even worse seeing that farm now knowing it didn't look like that when you had it! Well hopefully the bank doesn't drag their feet putting it up for sale and you're able to buy it back. If you did and im still in the state, I would defiantly be interested in boarding!
I have always liked Mary Alice Good's barn but I believe she is full and I think the board is close to 500 and that's not including the blanketing cost, etc. :/
Thanks for the help and hopefully your able to buy that place back and get it running again.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I'm going to hop in real quick and reply back that I've heard the exact opposite about Williford. Too many horses, subpar care and a guy who doesn't follow through on contracted building jobs.

I don't have any personal experience there but, I trust the person who told me and I've seen what they had to do when some of that fell through. I'd ask around a bit for more information from people who are or have been boarding there. (Or anywhere, really)

Good luck!