The pro house buying thread

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I should delete that because I've changed my mind. I'm considering downsizing, getting rid of my house, and moving into an apartment.

Seriously.

And I shouldn't say "considering" because the decision has been made, now it's a matter of moving forward with the plan.

When I bought this house 7 years ago my circumstances were such that I needed larger digs. I don't need that space anymore, and am no longer interested in fooling with house maintenance and repairs. With the housing crash it's no longer even a good investment, plus the mortgage payment is ridiculous. There is no longer any upside to keeping the house and the social pride of homeownership has long worn off.

Apartment living is calling my name: no maintenance, community amenities, max 1-year commitment - there's a lot to love for someone in my lifestyle position.

Which is not to say it's right for everyone. I still remember the reasons why I chose to buy a home rather than rent; those reasons just don't apply to me anymore. I'm going through a number of epiphanies since turning 50. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought you were buying a town in Tx.

That comes next....

See that's another thing: I want to be flexible to roam about as my whims dictate. I'm in the happy position that I don't need to live in a specific place in order to do my job, so why am I not taking advantage of that?

Because I'm stupid, that's why.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
That comes next....

See that's another thing: I want to be flexible to roam about as my whims dictate. I'm in the happy position that I don't need to live in a specific place in order to do my job, so why am I not taking advantage of that?

Cool, and you can move away from the Phucking COLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarieB

I miss owning a home because I like to make it my own with paint, etc and that tends to make me feel more at home. Though with renting, it is somewhat freeing to not have to worry about repairs and such. As far as apartment living goes, the neighbors are way too close. If I had to live in an apartment, I would probably prefer being in the city and not in a complex

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
You're a fairly quiet, keep to yourself person. I'm surprised you'd want to live w/in such close proximity to so many other people. But... can certainly understand why you want to downsize.

What about a smaller house?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I miss owning a home because I like to make it my own with paint, etc and that tends to make me feel more at home.

I'm over that, too. I road trip a lot and stay in hotels, where I am perfectly happy. My inner vagabond has kicked in and I no longer require a "home" and "my space".

I always said that when I retire I'll sell everything I own and just hit the road until I keel over. This is the first step.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That comes next....

.... if you recognize the Mobility fact of your life now ....

your outlook has evolved ...... :evil:

PJay

I dislike renting and commitments though. You will be more free having a motorhome. Please consider.

On the road with Vrai....yeah. Sounds good.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
I'm considering that but the community amenities of, say, Abberley Crest or Settler's Landing are pretty darned attractive.

what about a motor home and smaller car that in winter you could head south and one year go to FLA next winter go to AZ? Trailer the small car and park and explore... I've thought about that vise moving SOUTH and then come back in spring thru Fall! believe it's a write off too !!!

PJay

Another thing a year can be a long time to wait if you are wishing to flee from a place.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I'm considering that but the community amenities of, say, Abberley Crest or Settler's Landing are pretty darned attractive.

Wenchy's apartment (including the complex and amenities) in Salisbury was "da bomb." Unfortunately for me, relocation was out of the question at the time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mobile home options: I'm not ready to be that flexible. I still have responsibilities that require a stable environment.

But some day....

Stew

I should delete that because I've changed my mind. I'm considering downsizing, getting rid of my house, and moving into an apartment.

Seriously.

And I shouldn't say "considering" because the decision has been made, now it's a matter of moving forward with the plan.

When I bought this house 7 years ago my circumstances were such that I needed larger digs. I don't need that space anymore, and am no longer interested in fooling with house maintenance and repairs. With the housing crash it's no longer even a good investment, plus the mortgage payment is ridiculous. There is no longer any upside to keeping the house and the social pride of homeownership has long worn off.

Apartment living is calling my name: no maintenance, community amenities, max 1-year commitment - there's a lot to love for someone in my lifestyle position.

Which is not to say it's right for everyone. I still remember the reasons why I chose to buy a home rather than rent; those reasons just don't apply to me anymore. I'm going through a number of epiphanies since turning 50. :lol:

Funny, I've been having some of the same thoughts lately! The tax write-off is the main advantage to me. Instead of an apartment I would opt for a condo or small townhouse. Before buying my current home I rented an apartment for 6 months and hated it.. noisy neighbors, limited parking, strict rules, etc. The freedom of having your own is nice.

Last edited: