Looking to but some nice, seasoned firewood?

blacklabman

$100 for half a cord. You ought to research prices a little more. I got a full cord for $160 (reasonable).

OldBlue

$100 for half a cord. You ought to research prices a little more. I got a full cord for $160 (reasonable).

Wasn't looking for a full cord because I don't plan on being in this area any longer than I have to be. A full cord would have been left for the next owner.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Wood is not seasoned and will not burn. When I tried to contact him about it, I was ignored. Is that good enough to bash him?
If you have a receipt why don't you take it to the police? You do have a receipt right? Did you look at the wood before it was delivered? So many questions. You know these day you can't trust anyone. It's all on you.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
MD State Dept of Agriculture handles complaints about firewood. Or at least they used to back in the day.

koan00

I figured something was fishy if he only wanted to deliver after dark. Makes me glad he no-showed on our appointment.

General Lee

Wood is not seasoned and will not burn. When I tried to contact him about it, I was ignored. Is that good enough to bash him?

Maybe everyone has different definitions of "seasoned" firewood, but I've said it before and I'll say it again........You are not going to find a SEASONED FIREWOOD DEALER in southern maryland and probably beyond.

A majority defines seasoned wood that has been CUT, SPLIT and STACKED for a minimum of a year, longer is better. Good hardwoods like oak take longer depending on conditions they are stacked in (exposure to sun and wind, humidity)

In order for a reputable wood dealer to be able to deliver truly seasoned firewood, they would have to have acres and acres of stacked wood that is rotated out yearly. I don't know anywhere where that exists.

GregV814

I will say this and shut up.....Kelly McConkey (in Dunkirk) has the best deal. The wood is a great mixture its a good value and he delivers.

General Lee

Everyone's best bet is to buy firewood NOW and stack it yourself for next winter.

Don't completely cover your stacks, just the top.(Tarp, etc) Or let the whole stack(s) sit out then come Septemberish, cover just the tops or place in your wood shed if you have one.

If you don't process your own wood, the explanation above is your best bet to assure yourself you know exactly what you have.

It sure doesn't hurt to be a year or 2 ahead on your firewood also, In the event of an injury, job loss, loss of income, etc. At least you'll have heat for your home.

Popster

Everyone's best bet is to buy firewood NOW and stack it yourself for next winter.

Don't completely cover your stacks, just the top.(Tarp, etc) Or let the whole stack(s) sit out then come Septemberish, cover just the tops or place in your wood shed if you have one.

If you don't process your own wood, the explanation above is your best bet to assure yourself you know exactly what you have.

It sure doesn't hurt to be a year or 2 ahead on your firewood also, In the event of an injury, job loss, loss of income, etc. At least you'll have heat for your home.

I'm with you. At least 2 years under cover. You can also let it go too long- burns too fast.

mamatutu

mama to two
I'm with you. At least 2 years under cover. You can also let it go too long- burns too fast.

Sorry, but we got a raw deal (so to speak) when he took down trees in our yard. I will not recommend him, nor vote for him. His crew maimed some of our good trees that are now dying, and have to come down because of their destruction/negligence. He is a true politician, and I am sure he will be continued to be re-elected. Sign of the times. :boo:

Shutout

Sorry, but we got a raw deal (so to speak) when he took down trees in our yard. I will not recommend him, nor vote for him. His crew maimed some of our good trees that are now dying, and have to come down because of their destruction/negligence. He is a true politician, and I am sure he will be continued to be re-elected. Sign of the times. :boo:

What sort of damage did they do to the trees?

mamatutu

mama to two
What sort of damage did they do to the trees?

When they took the bad trees down, they hit some good trees which caused limb damage and eventual death of the trees, which I called them about, but they said oh well. I have to say we live in the woods, so we are talking about a lot of trees, but I just found their bed side tree manner, and their attitude to be lacking. They did not try to reciprocate the damage. I do not recommend them. Period.

Shutout

When they took the bad trees down, they hit some good trees which caused limb damage and eventual death of the trees, which I called them about, but they said oh well. I have to say we live in the woods, so we are talking about a lot of trees, but I just found their bed side tree manner, and their attitude to be lacking. They did not try to reciprocate the damage. I do not recommend them. Period.

That's a shame. Why did you have the other trees removed?

My son is partners in a tree business. He just sent me some pictures of a tree they removed near DC in a crowded neighborhood. Looked pretty involved.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Slightly off-topic and without reading all of this thread: some folks (including some who are selling firewood) don't realize that although the tree or branch was dead for some time before being cut, it is still not "seasoned" until it's been cut, split, and allowed to dry for at least 6 months. And if it was alive when cut down, the cut and split logs require a year to dry out (that's what seasoning is) before they'll burn well.

pebbles

My boyfriend delivers firewood if it's not too far away. What he has left is seasoned for 3 years & is oak. PM me if interested & I can give you his number for pricing.

Chris0nllyn

Maybe everyone has different definitions of "seasoned" firewood, but I've said it before and I'll say it again........You are not going to find a SEASONED FIREWOOD DEALER in southern maryland and probably beyond.

A majority defines seasoned wood that has been CUT, SPLIT and STACKED for a minimum of a year, longer is better. Good hardwoods like oak take longer depending on conditions they are stacked in (exposure to sun and wind, humidity)

In order for a reputable wood dealer to be able to deliver truly seasoned firewood, they would have to have acres and acres of stacked wood that is rotated out yearly. I don't know anywhere where that exists.

I get all that from a man in Southern MD. :shrug: