Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How are your farm critters handling the cold?

Outdoor kitty is still alive. It is fascinated to see how nature kicks in and his fur and blubber kicks in for the winter... he looks like a big ole stuffed mink coat.
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.

LibertyBeacon

Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    Outdoor kitty is still alive. It is fascinated to see how nature kicks in and his fur and blubber kicks in for the winter... he looks like a big ole stuffed mink coat.
    We have a feral Mama kitty recuperating in a jumbo plastic dog crate on the covered deck. I feel bad because by her having her belly shaved, we can't just turn her outside. So I have a heating pad under her bed in a cardboard box (so she can "hide" from us), and another heating pad across the inside of the metal door, then covered the whole thing will 2 blankets, an insulated horse blanket, and I make sure she gets fresh oxygen also.

Her muscle tone will diminish after being isolated for so long, so we need a break in the weather to move her into a multi-level cage so she can regain her muscle tone before being released. She peeks at me at the most when I refresh her food/water and change her litter box. No sign she's even interested in being friends, oh well. The cost of caring for so many cats has been hard on us the past 8/9 months.
    Last edited by ArkRescue; 01-28-2014 at 08:30 PM.
    Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small
    We are now a 501 (c)(3) non-profit!
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by ArkRescue View Post
    I read online in an article that feeding them cracked corn (as I do) in their feed is bad as it promotes obesity. I only have 1 over-weight hen out of about 50 - not bad considering they have food 24/7. I only add cracked corn in Winter as it helps to generate the heat they need to stay warm.
    50?? Sheesh. What do you with all the eggs? Also are you plagued with having to treat chickens for illness, parasites, infections all of the time. The more I learn about this it seems chickens can get alot of issues. If I had 50 chickens and lost 1 or 2 here and there I wouldn't sweat it. But when you only have 5-6 you want healthy as possible.

Blog Entries
    how many birds do you have? 9 nests is a lot. I have 4 nests for about 25 layers and they all seem to want the same nest lol. I see them standing in line waiting for their turn. Some will sit on the same nest at the same time - cramped. Another pen has 1 nest for about 10 hens, and the last one has 18 hens with 3 nests. With so many hens wanting to use the same nests, the periodic laying allows the existing eggs to get warmed by each hen's body, and I have time to get the eggs usually in the mid afternoon before they freeze. Winter is rough on humans more than the critters mostly.

I don't provide heat lamps due to the fire risk (my pens are attached to a large 2 story sized barn). Using any electrical in a barn poses a risk, but I hope that the heated water devices won't cause trouble.
    Including the babies about 30 chickens and 12 ducks. Right now they are only using the boxes on the ground. No eggs in the nests inside the coop..
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Including the babies about 30 chickens and 12 ducks. Right now they are only using the boxes on the ground. No eggs in the nests inside the coop..
    I'm not getting many eggs right now.

I live on an elevated area, so most of the rain water runs off. It would be hard for me to have a pond but I wish I had one. I recently found out that Muscvy ducks are not big on pond time, so I may get some of those one day. The rescue duck turned out to be a male Muscovy and he's living in Hollywood now and his name is Waddles. He was starved in the past, so he literally attacks food at every feeding. Poor baby.
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

a little chicken humor
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Put my senior hen back in her normal group that had a few new editions from the other pen. Had a problem with egg eating so moved a few offenders around to confuse them lol.

I need all the eggs as we sell eggs to pay for the chicken feed. Makes chicken keeping a low cost hobby.

lots of snow outside but all is well inside the pen. This is pen #2 that has most of the polish chickens and a few others.

lots of snow outside but all is well inside the pen. This is pen #2 that has most of the polish chickens and a few others.
    Oh... that reminds me I want to take chicken out of the freezer and put on a pot of soup.
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.

LibertyBeacon

Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    Oh... that reminds me I want to take chicken out of the freezer and put on a pot of soup.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.