Any new landscaping plans for the Spring?

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Lets ignore the cold and start thinking warm thoughts for the Spring thaw.

I hope to be able to get some soil and build up around a few of the bigger trees. Mulch it and plant some hosta. No green thumb here, so I like to stick to the simple manicured look.

Anyone planning any changes this year? Maybe in a new home and ready to make it yours? Share your thoughts, ask for tips whatever.

Just please don't ask if there is going to be school tomorrow. Promise?

:coffee:

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
I want to build a dry stacked stone retaining wall. Not sure it will happen but I hope so.

Make it happen. They are so pretty, adds a strong statement. A big job to tackle but look at the bows you can take when its done. Good luck.

Chris0nllyn

Lots of trees to cut down, build my firepit, build a woodshed, rip up all the old gardens, plants, etc. and start over, and kill all the grass and start over.....

That should keep me busy for the Spring. :lol:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The only time spring begins here is when summer ends, and then spring ends when summer begins.

A vicious cycle, for sure.:buddies:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yeah, I plan to go from shoveling snow and clearing storm breakage to mowing, weed-eating and clearing storm damage.

Shutout

Make it happen. They are so pretty, adds a strong statement. A big job to tackle but look at the bows you can take when its done. Good luck.

It is a big job but one that can be completed over time. I have found an old barn less than a mile from me that has bascially the stone foundation left. My plan is to approach the owner about selling me the foundation, hiring a friend of mine with an excavating beusiness to knock it down and haul it to my house. Stone is expensive.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I'd love a new lawn and some trees removed. Our yard is mostly shade so there's no grass just dirt. We need a new woodshed too. Our current one is more like a lean to. One of the boards for the frame is cracked and I'm surprised it hadn't collapsed. Plus you cant even stand up in there. Plant more flowers and pray my hydrangeas come back ok.

Shutout

I'd love a new lawn and some trees removed. Our yard is mostly shade so there's no grass just dirt. We need a new woodshed too. Our current one is more like a lean to. One of the boards for the frame is cracked and I'm surprised it hadn't collapsed. Plus you cant even stand up in there. Plant more flowers and pray my hydrangeas come back ok.

Maybe you can just elevate the tree canopies to increase growth in the lawn.

mamatutu

mama to two
Going to call Tommy again to help me (I found out about him through this forum). I always did it on my own, but I am getting old and can use the help. The plus is what Tommy earns through landscaping is putting him through school. Win/win!

Shutout

? What's that? 98% of our trees are mature and twice as tall as the house.

Remove the lower limbs and allow more ligh to penetrate through the canopy. I do that with the mature tree in my back yard. It has helped promote grass growth.

Shutout

Two views of the patio. The limb on the right in the first picture was one of the limbs removed as shown in the second picture. You can see in the second picture where limbs were removed to allow more light. The tree in the background has just one more portion of a limb to remove.

Attachments

• patiobefore.jpg
    patiobefore.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 128
  • patiojuly.jpg
    patiojuly.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 129

acommondisaster

I'd like to tackle the area between the house and the driveway; get all the strawberry weeds out of there, replant some iris, mulch, put in some sort of perennial that likes dry/semi sun location, clean up the lillirope border, figure out the drainage problem at the garage.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
I'm thinking if the funds can be found, I'd like to put some pampas grass along the back treeline of yard. Giving a accent to the border of the yard.

I'm thinking if the funds can be found, I'd like to put some pampas grass along the back treeline of yard. Giving a accent to the border of the yard.

I found a couple of pots of pampas at Wentworths last year at the end of the season. $6 each.

mamatutu

mama to two
Never planted them but don't they get real tall?

Yes, they do get rather tall. Some of my neighbors have planted them, and they are really beautiful, and take up space, so you don't have to invest a lot in them. I have seen it used most at property borders or to define driveways.