Frozen Potomac

mAlice

professional daydreamer
managed to snap a few pics with my cell just before I got on the bridge. If you can zoom in, you can see that it's frozen. There were a few 'pools' of water, but for the most part, it was frozen when I drove over to Dahlgren this morning.

Attachments

• Frozen Potomac 2.jpg
    Frozen Potomac 2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Frozen Potomac 1.jpg
    Frozen Potomac 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 236

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Neat! But, I want to see water and palm trees, preferably in person.

bilbur

managed to snap a few pics with my cell just before I got on the bridge. If you can zoom in, you can see that it's frozen. There were a few 'pools' of water, but for the most part, it was frozen when I drove over to Dahlgren this morning.

My parents tell me that they could walk from St Mary's to Calvert when they were younger during some of their harsher winters. I can remember ice-skating on 2 large ponds next to my parents house when I was a kid. I can honestly say that this is the first time in years that I have seen those ponds possibly frozen enough to walk on but I don't want to test that theory.

TPD

the poor dad
My parents tell me that they could walk from St Mary's to Calvert when they were younger during some of their harsher winters. I can remember ice-skating on 2 large ponds next to my parents house when I was a kid. I can honestly say that this is the first time in years that I have seen those ponds possibly frozen enough to walk on but I don't want to test that theory.

I was just telling my kid this morning how we would build a bonfire on the ice and skate all night long, along with riding our dirt bikes on the ice pulling sleds. After telling her this, I went down to the crick behind the farm to test the ice. I was quite surprised that it still is not solid enough to ice skate on. I guess the crick water has a higher freezing point than it did 30 years ago…

Along these lines, I also remember sledding on a car hood behind the farm tractor in the cow pasture - now that was fun!! Until the chain got caught up in the tractor tire while spinning in circles and you were thrown off the hood and hit your head or ass on a frozen pile of cow####.

TPD

the poor dad
my ice pics….

Attachments

• CreekIce.jpg
    CreekIce.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 118
  • CreekIce2.jpg
    CreekIce2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 116
I was just telling my kid this morning how we would build a bonfire on the ice and skate all night long, along with riding our dirt bikes on the ice pulling sleds. After telling her this, I went down to the crick behind the farm to test the ice. I was quite surprised that it still is not solid enough to ice skate on. I guess the crick water has a higher freezing point than it did 30 years ago…

Along these lines, I also remember sledding on a car hood behind the farm tractor in the cow pasture - now that was fun!! Until the chain got caught up in the tractor tire while spinning in circles and you were thrown off the hood and hit your head or ass on a frozen pile of cow####.

We used to do the very same thing! :lol: Many a night skating around a fire with the help of a bit of brandy. And who knew you could pull a toboggan with a bike?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Where's General George Washington when you need him?

Oh, wait - that's just story about a racist slave owner, no matter what river.....:drummer:

Beautiful pictures, though. I just set my first fire this year about an hour ago - in the fireplace - that is. May be the last - a bone chilling, damp, rainy, 45 outside:yahoo:

Have to get rid of some firewood somehow......

Goldenhawk

I took the attached pic yesterday flying back into Washington Reagan National Airport around lunchtime. About half of the river was covered by ice; the area right near the airport was fairly thick ice.

Attachments

• potomac_ice.jpg
    potomac_ice.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 107

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I took the attached pic yesterday flying back into Washington Reagan National Airport around lunchtime. About half of the river was covered by ice; the area right near the airport was fairly thick ice.

That's an awesome pic!