MVA Waldorf

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I know this is not a new topic here. I experienced that monument to American inefficiency yesterday and I'm still confused by it. There are 25 service windows at that facility, of which at least 10 were manned yesterday. They seem to be divided up by purpose. Some automated kiosks have been set up to eliminate the time-consuming human interaction completely for some things (by the way, a special kiosk has been installed for immigrants, but is not yet operational, and the sign which says what it is, is in English). Ample seating has been provided in the form of singularly uncomfortable steel benches. Video monitors and overhead speakers notify all in the waiting area of the number being serviced.

Why, then, did it take 3 hours to get a driver's license printed out yesterday?

I have no idea. There was a significant number of Central American immigrants there (all very well-behaved, by the way, so much so that we rude and irritable Americans could learn a thing or two from them). But they by no means overloaded the services.

At one point I thought that my license would expire before I got it, and that I'd be told to take a new number and wait some more for the license renewal. I had visions of living at the MVA for days, weeks, or months waiting for my driver's license. I decided that I could have gotten well into a freshly-opened novel of 300 pages before being called for my 5-minute turn at the service window.

There is no rhyme, reason, or particular order which I could discern in the servicing of various ticket holders. One number series was up in the 500's - sorry, I can't wait that long.

Yes, this is whining, but it certainly seems appropriate under the circumstances.

The thing which occurred to me which could make me mad (but oddly enough, doesn't) is that the facility bears all the hallmarks of a money-making organization, a big revenue portal for the State, and because driving is a necessity for the customers, there is no apparent concern about how long it takes or how much it costs to do anything. I'm a patient person, so I was even pleasant to the functionary who finally saw me and provided me with my license, but a less patient person would have angrily left long before being summoned to the window. That so many endured the wait is truly amazing, considering how impatient a lot of them must be on the road.

Okay, rant over.

RPMDAD

RR, should have timed it to use the one in PF, easy peasy, have never waited longer than 20 - 30 minutes to renew my license there.

NextJen

Raisin cane
You went at the wrong time. You should have gone this past Wednesday morning when I went. I went in, nobody was in line at the information kiosk for drivers license renewal. I got my number right away and before my behind even had a chance to hit the bench to wait, my number was called to be served. The only thing that took an extra few minutes was that the license printer needed a new ink ribbon. After having a good conversation about voting and elections with the gentleman working with me, I was out of there. All in 15 minutes tops! THAT NEVER HAPPENS!

Here's a picture of how busy they were.

Attachments

• MVA.jpg
    MVA.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 139

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
I went in on a friday around 10, got my number from the kiosk,, sat maybe 10 minutes before they called me. All told I spent maybe 30 minutes there to get a new licence. You must have hit a busy time.

glhs837

Power with Control
Last two times I went to Loveille, once to sign over the Geo to the daughter, and then to get the son his permit, have both been multi-hour extravaganzas. Maybe half the windows manned. Excruciating.

sm8

Last two times I went to Loveille, once to sign over the Geo to the daughter, and then to get the son his permit, have both been multi-hour extravaganzas. Maybe half the windows manned. Excruciating.

There is a sign up in the loveville one. There is like 2-3 days a week half of their employees are sent to another MVA because they are so short staffed. Just avoid it on those days.

glhs837

Power with Control
There is a sign up in the loveville one. There is like 2-3 days a week half of their employees are sent to another MVA because they are so short staffed. Just avoid it on those days.

Would be nice, but schedules are what they are.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Why did you go to Waldork?

Renewed mine a couple weeks ago at Loveville, in and out in 15 minutes. Even got veteran status added.

I was even a little disappointed I didn't have time to read my book

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Maybe the workers there were working for minimum wage... Bump em up to $20.00 an hour and I bet they'll move faster..

Hijinx

Last time I was at Loveville it was about an hour and a half., By the way sometimes the parking lot is so crowded they use the shoulders of the roadway to park on. That's a definite indication to come another day.

For tag renewal use the Treasurers office or go to one of the tag and title places around the county and pay the $15.00 dollars. Definitely worth it.

dan0623_2000

Mva

Went in Wednesday afternoon around 3 PM at the Loveville Office to get my EXPIRED drivers licenese renewed. In and out in about 15 minutes.

R

rhenderson

Avoid going to the DMV in the last week of the month or on Mondays and Fridays if at all possible. End of the month - all those waiting until the last minute are trying to renew licenses and tags. Fridays lots of folks trying to take of business before the weekend. Mondays - all the weekend private car sales are hitting the windows. Also, avoid days when NEW driver exams are being given.

glhs837

Power with Control
Last time I was at Loveville it was about an hour and a half., By the way sometimes the parking lot is so crowded they use the shoulders of the roadway to park on. That's a definite indication to come another day.

For tag renewal use the Treasurers office or go to one of the tag and title places around the county and pay the $15.00 dollars. Definitely worth it.

why go either? Straight renewal, just go to your computer. Login, pay up, they mail you the stickers. And spend that $15 getting a good car wash :)

How do I renew my vehicle's registration using the Internet?

If your vehicle is a passenger vehicle, sport utility vehicle, motorcycle, trailer, or truck with a GVW (gross vehicle weight rating) under 55,000 pounds, you may request registration renewal by accessing the Online Services on the MVA’s web site homepage. However, there are certain restrictions you should be aware of:

The vehicle’s registration period must expire within the next two months, or have already expired.
If you have moved, you cannot renew a registration over the Internet until you notify the MVA of your new address. However, you can report your address change on-line also by accessing the Online Services on the MVA’s web site homepage. Process your change of address first, then you can process your registration renewal in the same visit to our website.
If you have an outstanding parking ticket, an insurance violation or certain other problems, registration renewal is not possible. You must first resolve the problem by contacting the entity that flagged the registration record. A complete list of the parking, red-light, and toll facility flagging program jurisdictions, which includes contact information, is available from the MVA.
For your convenience certain jurisdictions allow payment via their website or by telephone. After the jurisdictional payment is processed, release notification will be sent to the Motor Vehicle Administration within 5 business days. Once the release is processed you may renew your vehicle online.
When you use the Internet, be sure to have your vehicle registration renewal notice or your vehicle’s title and license plate numbers, your insurance information, and a credit card (Master Card, American Express, or Visa) or check.

Upon completing the registration renewal transaction, you will have the option to print a Temporary Authority. This document enables you to operate your vehicle for a period of 15 days, which will allow time to receive your permanent registration card and sticker by mail, within approximately 10 days. Please affix the Temporary Authority to the lower right corner of your rear window. The Temporary Authority is not transferable, cannot be extended, and may not be used on a vehicle other than the one for which it was issued.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Renew your tags online, you can print out a temp reg and the new sticker comes snail mail in about a week. The only time I go to the MVA is every 5 years for a license renewal.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Renew your tags online, you can print out a temp reg and the new sticker comes snail mail in about a week. The only time I go to the MVA is every 5 years for a license renewal.

You can do one license renewal online, then you have to go in for the next one, but you can get an 8 year licence now. :yahoo:

luvmygdaughters

Best time to go to the MVA is about 15 minutes before quitting time. The last couple times I 've had to go, it was perfect. Those MVA workers don't get paid overtime and want to get the hell out of there. I've never seen them move so fast. I'm serious. If they moved that fast all the time, there wouldn't be any lines.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
When we moved here from Northern VA it took three visits, and time off work, to register my cars. Did my homework beforehand and had every document specified on the website in hand but still asked the info. lady for a complete list including how many vials of my blood I needed to provide. Each time I complied and each time was told by another info. lady that I was missing some crucial piece of documentation. Then there was the endless wait on the phone trying to get someone at the credit union in Plano, TX to fax a copy of my title plus phone calls to the insurance company to transfer to a MARYLAND policy, all of which they could have told me before I wasted my time there. They've improved somewhat in ten years and the last few times I've gone to renew my license or somethingorother it hasn't been too busy or traumatic. Timing is everything.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
End of month - beginning of month, Monday or Friday = bad. Second or third week of month, Tuesday through Thursday = good bet. There in line when the doors open = best.:buddies:

glhs837

Power with Control
When we moved here from Northern VA it took three visits, and time off work, to register my cars. Did my homework beforehand and had every document specified on the website in hand but still asked the info. lady for a complete list including how many vials of my blood I needed to provide. Each time I complied and each time was told by another info. lady that I was missing some crucial piece of documentation. Then there was the endless wait on the phone trying to get someone at the credit union in Plano, TX to fax a copy of my title plus phone calls to the insurance company to transfer to a MARYLAND policy, all of which they could have told me before I wasted my time there. They've improved somewhat in ten years and the last few times I've gone to renew my license or somethingorother it hasn't been too busy or traumatic. Timing is everything.

This used to be Mds biggest downfall, when I got here in the 90s, drove me insane. All the way up to Waldorf (no real internet back then) , wait in line for a window, as the information booth wasnt a thing back then. Get to window, "Seeya, need form XX:. so back down here, get the info or whatever was missing, drive back up, wait 30 minutes for a window, only to hear "Ooops, you are missing from YY, seeya". :cds:

officeguy

Tried the Waldorf one, was not impressed. Since then I go to the one in Loveville during the day. Can't say that I ever experienced undue wait or poor service there.