Please help if you can...

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Anyone know any good way/trick to holding a dog while clipping a nail thats turned into her pad? I tried the blanket thing, she was out and snapping before I picked up the clippers. She is the most docile chihuahua there ever was, but shes in pain and has let me know she will chew off my face if need be. I am actually scared of her piranha imitation. Talk about visions of Doberhuahua (superbowl commercial).

To the vet is not an option, not that I wouldn't pay but I have no way there and no funds at this time. My heart is breaking that I can't help her. Also, its veined so if I do win the battle do dogs bleed out terribly or will she be ok? I know its a lot to ask, but so many here seem to know a lot about dogs its worth a try for me to at least ask.

:coffee:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Anyone know any good way/trick to holding a dog while clipping a nail thats turned into her pad? I tried the blanket thing, she was out and snapping before I picked up the clippers. She is the most docile chihuahua there ever was, but shes in pain and has let me know she will chew off my face if need be. I am actually scared of her piranha imitation. Talk about visions of Doberhuahua (superbowl commercial).

To the vet is not an option, not that I wouldn't pay but I have no way there and no funds at this time. My heart is breaking that I can't help her. Also, its veined so if I do win the battle do dogs bleed out terribly or will she be ok? I know its a lot to ask, but so many here seem to know a lot about dogs its worth a try for me to at least ask.

:shrug:...

keep them trimmed?? this didnt happen over night, over a month.... this took a while of not trimming

muzzle her and clip it.... if it bleeds use a bar of soap to push a chunk up there to help it clot... or corn starch

but it needs to be done as this IS very painful... and can cuz an infection

Rt235

Drugs.......

and a muzzle.....

and routine coat care thereafter.

Dont forget the beer....or scotch for you when it is all over!:buddies:

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
:shrug:...

keep them trimmed?? this didnt happen over night, over a month.... this took a while of not trimming

muzzle her and clip it.... if it bleeds use a bar of soap to push a chunk up there to help it clot... or corn starch

but it needs to be done as this IS very painful... and can cuz an infection

I do trim them and file, this is a end one that actually is not so long, its like it turned to soon? Never happened before. I dont have a muzzle. *sigh*

Thanks for the reply and clotting info.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I do trim them and file, this is a end one that actually is not so long, its like it turned to soon? Never happened before. I dont have a muzzle. *sigh*

Thanks for the reply and clotting info.

make one... .hell use a shoe string.... anything that will tie his mouth shut....

loop around the muzzle area a few times... then tie behind ears.

roll guaze
panty hose....

you get the point..... and the dog lets you trim them any other time with no issues?? thats odd cuz all my years at the vet, training dogs, working/handling dogs and owning dogs... they either like it or dont.

most of my dog will just lay there and i can trim, dremel and even paint their nails...

PJay

Is there a Pet Mobile serving your area?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
No, but was thinking she may have a credit card or explain situation and could be billed.

Well ... i dont see them just driving, using gas.. just to trim a nail. As she can go to the vet.

I usually go to trim my friends dogs nails.... but she also helps me out and lets my dogs out. and her dogs are good with having nails done.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
No, but was thinking she may have a credit card or explain situation and could be billed.

If she had a credit card she could charge to, she probably wouldn't have started this thread.

Retrodeb, you're gonna' have to bite the bullet and borrow some money to take your pooch to the vet to have that taken care of.

PJay

Well ... i dont see them just driving, using gas.. just to trim a nail. As she can go to the vet.

I usually go to trim my friends dogs nails.... but she also helps me out and lets my dogs out. and her dogs are good with having nails done.

Sorry, guess I misunderstood. Sounded like her dog was in pain, deb was fearful of the task and that she had no way to get her pet to the vet.

Just a thought that came to me.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
If she had a credit card she could charge to, she probably wouldn't have started this thread.

Retrodeb, you're gonna' have to bite the bullet and borrow some money to take your pooch to the vet to have that taken care of.

:yay:

depending on how embedded it is in the pad.... :whistle: I have seen them to where they have grown almost all the way thru the pad.

If it was not in the pad I would have offered to meet me somewhere when i had time and i would hack it off.... but its up to you to get a real muzzle. I would hate to be bitten.....

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Sorry, guess I misunderstood. Sounded like her dog was in pain, deb was fearful of the task and that she had no way to get her pet to the vet.

Just a thought that came to me.

dog is in pain.... but im sure it would cost MORE for a mobile vet than just going into a vet or even the well pet clinic..

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
make one... .hell use a shoe string.... anything that will tie his mouth shut....

loop around the muzzle area a few times... then tie behind ears.

roll guaze
panty hose....

you get the point..... and the dog lets you trim them any other time with no issues?? thats odd cuz all my years at the vet, training dogs, working/handling dogs and owning dogs... they either like it or dont.

most of my dog will just lay there and i can trim, dremel and even paint their nails...

Never thought of that...I'll try that, have to try something else.

She doesn't like it, tries to pull leg away etc. but accepts that I'm going to do it. If looks could kill though...Nipped me one time a few years back when the very corner of the clippers pinched her pad.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Never thought of that...I'll try that, have to try something else.

She doesn't like it, tries to pull leg away etc. but accepts that I'm going to do it. If looks could kill though...Nipped me one time a few years back when the very corner of the clippers pinched her pad.

it also make a big difference what type of nail trimmers you use....

NEVER... NEVER USE THE GUILLOTINE TYPE... :cds: Amazon.com: Resco Deluxe Original Dog Nail Trimmer with Handle Grips, Small and Medium, Blue: Pet Supplies

These are the ones you want to look for.... petco has them...
and there are smaller versions as well....
Amazon.com: Millers Forge Dog Nail Clip, Large: Pet Supplies

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Made some calls awhile ago, only person I even have to take us there can't help till Wed. after work and did offer to lend some money. Without me asking. I have to try again though, thats a long time in pain.