Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18-foot Burmese python found in Florida Everglades

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeCee View Post
    Saw a Natgeo special on this problem and one theory on how they were introduced was the result of a reptile facility that was destroyed during a hurricane rather than people setting their exotic pets free.

My thought is why not have a tag lottery like louisiana and some other states do to reduce the gator population. Snake skins make great boots!
    There are. I don't think it is a lottery like gator hunts in FLtoward the end of the year. There have been at least two authorized hunts in the past year, with money prizes for the largest, heaviest, etc. You don't even have to know what you're - just show up and be prepared to be very uncomfortable.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by DeeCee View Post
    Saw a Natgeo special on this problem and one theory on how they were introduced was the result of a reptile facility that was destroyed during a hurricane rather than people setting their exotic pets free.

My thought is why not have a tag lottery like louisiana and some other states do to reduce the gator population. Snake skins make great boots!
    Yes that was part of how there ended up to be so many, add to that those humans released, and those that escaped their humans pet cages and are never seen again ..... so it's a combination actually, but ultimately it's the fault of humans in every instance. Had they had a hurricane-proof facility it would have ended differently - who of thunk to make a critter facility hurricane-proof in FL - .

Reminds me of the building we are in at work. Was built about 8 years ago to be a GREEN building and when that earthquake hit we looked up to see the concrete ceiling above us with all the lights swinging all over the place. Initially I didn't know what was happening, so I didn't run to get out of the building, the next time I will high-tail it out in case the ceiling caves in. We ended up with earthquake damage to the building. It's obvious this building wasn't built with earthquakes in mind, but earthquakes do happen here, just not as regularly as some other places in the Country.
    Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small
    We are now a 501 (c)(3) non-profit!
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b23hqb View Post
    There are. I don't think it is a lottery like gator hunts in FLtoward the end of the year. There have been at least two authorized hunts in the past year, with money prizes for the largest, heaviest, etc. You don't even have to know what you're - just show up and be prepared to be very uncomfortable.
    Why would it ever be closed season for shooting an invasive species? You don't have to pay a bounty because the animals are valuable enough to draw in hunters.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.