18-foot Burmese python found in Florida Everglades

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"MIAMI (Reuters) - Engineers in the Everglades stumbled upon a near-record-breaking Burmese python measuring more than 18 feet long during a routine inspection of levees on Tuesday, a water management district spokesman said.

The snake, measuring at 18 feet 2 inches, fell short of the state record by 6 inches, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission."

mamatutu

mama to two
"MIAMI (Reuters) - Engineers in the Everglades stumbled upon a near-record-breaking Burmese python measuring more than 18 feet long during a routine inspection of levees on Tuesday, a water management district spokesman said.

The snake, measuring at 18 feet 2 inches, fell short of the state record by 6 inches, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission."

Poor snake. It wasn't its fault pet owners have dumped pythons in the Everglades. Too bad something can't happen to those people who have caused a huge ecosystem problem because of their ignorant, selfish, and mindless acts of setting their snakes free in a habitat that pythons were not originally a part of. :frown:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Poor snake. It wasn't its fault pet owners have dumped pythons in the Everglades. Too bad something can't happen to those people who have caused a huge ecosystem problem because of their ignorant, selfish, and mindless acts of setting their snakes free in a habitat that pythons were not originally a part of. :frown:

That's how many problems start with critters .... humans ..... let's just set it free to be wild as nature intended. That's how we ended up with some of the millions of cats living outdoors in this Country :frown:.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I love it. "Not a state record" for a snake that is not even indigenous here. So sorry for it. Not.

Wonder how many belts can be made out of that hide.:yahoo:

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
I love it. "Not a state record" for a snake that is not even indigenous here. So sorry for it. Not.

Wonder how many belts can be made out of that hide.:yahoo:

They could have a nice meal too. :popcorn:

How to Make Burmese Python Nuggets | WLRN

Miami chef Kris Wessel came up with a tastier solution at a charity dinner this month that featured invasive species. He smoked a 14-foot python over hickory wood for three hours, using its dried, chopped flesh as a stand-in for bacon bits in a mango-and-arugula salad. In a second preparation, Wessel braised the snake in curry spices and stuffed it inside also-invasive Brazilian peppers.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Saw a Natgeo special on this problem and one theory on how they were introduced was the result of a reptile facility that was destroyed during a hurricane rather than people setting their exotic pets free.

My thought is why not have a tag lottery like louisiana and some other states do to reduce the gator population. Snake skins make great boots!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Thirteen Foot Burmese Python Kills Owner

It's an old story from 1996 but it happens regularly enough to be an issue:

"Based on a New York Times Report by David Herszenhorn. Thursday - October 10, 1996.

According to the New York Times, 19-year old Grant Williams of 365 East 183rd Street Bronx died as the result of an attack by his 13 foot long Burmese Python which may have mistaken him as food.

The victim was found at about 1:30 PM on October 9th by a neighbor lying in a pool of blood with the snake coiled around his torso in the hallway of his apartment building. He was pronounced dead at Jacobi Medical Center. An ambulance crew removed the snake from the victim and it was taken to the Bronx Zoo.

According to the report, Williams and his 17 year old brother, Lamar, purchased the snake at a local pet store known as Pet City about five months ago for $300.00.

This attack may be a feeding related incident as a live chicken was found nearby, still in the box. Williams was apparently getting ready to feed the snake, out of its cage. Pythons, like other snakes, have an acute sense of smell. The detection of a food odor such as a chicken and the proximity of Williams to the snake evidently led the snake to mistake Williams as its prey or food.

This case, like others including cases seen by the undersigned in the E.R. indicate that prey items such as rodents, chickens or rabbits do not have to actually scent a human in order for a snake to attack them. The mere presence of the food in the vicinity can set off a sort of feeding frenzy. Therefore feeding snakes, especially large ones capable of inflicting significant injury or death, should be done with extreme caution."

Thirteen Foot Burmese Python Kills Owner

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Saw a Natgeo special on this problem and one theory on how they were introduced was the result of a reptile facility that was destroyed during a hurricane rather than people setting their exotic pets free.

My thought is why not have a tag lottery like louisiana and some other states do to reduce the gator population. Snake skins make great boots!

There are. I don't think it is a lottery like gator hunts in FLtoward the end of the year. There have been at least two authorized hunts in the past year, with money prizes for the largest, heaviest, etc. You don't even have to know what you're - just show up and be prepared to be very uncomfortable.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

Yes that was part of how there ended up to be so many, add to that those humans released, and those that escaped their humans pet cages and are never seen again ..... so it's a combination actually, but ultimately it's the fault of humans in every instance. Had they had a hurricane-proof facility it would have ended differently - who of thunk to make a critter facility hurricane-proof in FL - :duh:.

Reminds me of the building we are in at work. Was built about 8 years ago to be a GREEN building and when that earthquake hit we looked up to see the concrete ceiling above us with all the lights swinging all over the place. Initially I didn't know what was happening, so I didn't run to get out of the building, the next time I will high-tail it out in case the ceiling caves in. We ended up with earthquake damage to the building. It's obvious this building wasn't built with earthquakes in mind, but earthquakes do happen here, just not as regularly as some other places in the Country.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
There are. I don't think it is a lottery like gator hunts in FLtoward the end of the year. There have been at least two authorized hunts in the past year, with money prizes for the largest, heaviest, etc. You don't even have to know what you're - just show up and be prepared to be very uncomfortable.

Why would it ever be closed season for shooting an invasive species? You don't have to pay a bounty because the animals are valuable enough to draw in hunters.