Horse cleans muddy front feet in water trough

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ok so how many people have kooky horses that clean mud off their feet in the water trough?

She latched the chicken pen door the other day after I went inside too. She is downright mischievous!

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
We had one that would cool of in the summer by putting both front feet in the trough and using one leg or the other to splash hisself with the water. It was the large Rubbermaid type trough too. Was the funniest thing to watch.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We had one that would cool of in the summer by putting both front feet in the trough and using one leg or the other to splash hisself with the water. It was the large Rubbermaid type trough too. Was the funniest thing to watch.

Yup Rubbermaid type - 40 gal I think? So, I think I better stack a few heavy duty wood pallets to raise the water up.

MDres

I haven't had a horse do that, but I did have one of our beef heifers do it. She broke THREE 150-gal water tanks by stepping in and out. And the water was constantly disgusting.

I did not find it amusing at all. It downright pi**ed me off. Especially since she was doing this during the worst drought in 50-years, so constantly dumping out nasty water was a huge waste.

When she broke the third tank, she earned herself a trailer ride and came home in little white packages.

OP, I also encourage you to raise the tank to discourage the behavior. It gets old fast when you have poopy water and broken tanks. I could not raise my tank because if I did, the calves could not reach the water...

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I haven't had a horse do that, but I did have one of our beef heifers do it. She broke THREE 150-gal water tanks by stepping in and out. And the water was constantly disgusting.

I did not find it amusing at all. It downright pi**ed me off. Especially since she was doing this during the worst drought in 50-years, so constantly dumping out nasty water was a huge waste.

When she broke the third tank, she earned herself a trailer ride and came home in little white packages.

OP, I also encourage you to raise the tank to discourage the behavior. It gets old fast when you have poopy water and broken tanks. I could not raise my tank because if I did, the calves could not reach the water...

Thankfully my tank is small (40 gal) and Rubber, but she can still break it if she keeps it up. We will try putting it on top of a few heavy duty wood pallets to see if that helps.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
One of my girls loves to hop into stock tanks regardless of how high or deep, winter/summer and it resulted in many broken stock tank heaters - i was constantly afraid she'd impale her hoof on one, so we installed Ritchie automatic waterers - it stopped that quick.

Raven would even jump in one if i take her up to it for a drink when i am riding her - she's all about instant gratification....hmmm....wonder who she reminds me of? :lol:

Hoover

Peggy and Vance both do it. They love the water. Peggy usually waits until I am filling the water trough to play. I love it.