US investigates NC coal ash spill

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

" RALEIGH — The U.S. Justice Department has opened a criminal investigation into the state environmental agency tasked with regulating Duke Energy after a coal ash spill left the Dan River so polluted that people were advised to avoid contact with the water.

The probe, environmentalists say, might also open a window into the relationship that state regulators have with the country’s largest electricity provider, a company that also was a 28-year employer of Gov. Pat McCrory.

Subpoenas were issued this week summoning officials from the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources and Duke Energy to produce records before a federal grand jury scheduled to meet in Raleigh March 18-20.

The subpoenas demand that DENR provide regulatory documents, including any correspondence with Duke since January 2010.

Thomas Walker, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, said Thursday he could not comment on specific targets of an investigation.

But since his appointment to the post in 2011 by President Barack Obama, Walker has been committed to pursuing polluters in an effort to protect the state’s scenic and natural resources. His office has won rulings against hog farmers that resulted in criminal sentences and civil penalties.

A letter signed by Walker attached to the subpoena that went to DENR states: “An official criminal investigation of a suspected felony is being conducted by the United States and a federal grand jury.”

Officials at Duke Energy and DENR had little to say publicly about the criminal probe. "

Chris0nllyn

When the story first came out, they said it was a broken pipe (underground I believe?).

What, exactly, is criminal about that?

Blister

I don't know if I personally would consider it criminal, but companies that own, maintain, and operate chemical or fuel tanks and pipelines can be held civilly and criminally liable when spills occur. I guess it depends whether negligent behavior can be proven. Think Exxon Valdez, the chemical spill in WVA, and BP's Gulf spill. I do know that coal ash is very acidic, and if it got into a waterway someone will pay.
Sadly, some poor guy or girl with a pipe wrench will probably take the fall.
:doh:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
When the story first came out, they said it was a broken pipe (underground I believe?).

What, exactly, is criminal about that?

It's coal.
It provides cheap abundant energy to the greatest economic engine ever developed.

It must be stopped

b23hqb

PREMO Member
nhboy - do you live in your moms coal bin, or has it been upgraded to former coal bin? If you pay the bills (which I doubt) - see how much energy costs via coal vs. any other medium (i.e. - see the previous post via the unpronounceable name guy)