Acting Strange

smts

My groomer was out of town so we decided to take my 2 small long haired dogs to Petco in PF to be groomed/shaved. With all the snow and rain they were pretty nasty and matted. My male dog hates clippers and gets a little snippy and growly when we try and clip him. My female dog could care less. You can do anything to her and she doesn't care. It's been 3 days now and both dogs are still acting very strange. They are both very standoffish, don't want to be held or snuggled whereas before they always were. Even with their sweaters on and the weather being a little warmer, they both keep shaking a lot. My husband and I are concerned that maybe these groomers got a little too rough with them. Any thoughts? I wasn't there to pick them up my daughter did so I don't even know who the girls were that did them.

spinner

So call them and ask if there was a problem. If your dogs are used to being groomed in a quiet environment and suddenly you take them to a new place that's a little more noisy and busy that could make them anxious. Was the shop busy when you were there? Noisy? Did they have to stay longer then usual? Ask yourself what was the difference between the two shops.
I don't know about your Petco but the one here the groomers are on full display. Unless they have another room in the back if they were too rough with your dogs the customers would see it. Again I don't work for them or even shop there so I'm just guessing.

Roman

Groomers are on full display at Pet Co in P.F. too. Are your dogs eating and drinking normal? I hope they're OK by now.

smts

Groomers are on full display at Pet Co in P.F. too. Are your dogs eating and drinking normal? I hope they're OK by now.

I was at work so my girls took them up there and picked them up. They said it wasn't too busy since they took them last minute. They seem to be eating and drinking ok now. I thought at first they were traumatized by going. They have only been professionally groomed twice. We usually do it but it's gotten to be too much for us. I know they are on full display, that is why I thought it would be safe to have them there. I almost expected it from my male dog but not my female. She has been very quite and withdrawn too. They were up there for about 4 hours total. Normally my male likes to be held and sleeps next to me every night. My female also sleeps next to me and wants to be leaning on me when she lays next to me. They did not want to sleep with anyone. Stayed on the couch alone for 2 nights. They are also showing some signs of anxiety which they never did. I think they are doing better tonight but still not quite themselves. I'm keeping an eye on them but just wanted opinions of others who may have experienced this. Thanks to those of you who give me input.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
You clip the hair off your dogs in the winter and then put sweaters on them.

It's not the dog that's acting strange

ginwoman

My groomer was out of town so we decided to take my 2 small long haired dogs to Petco in PF to be groomed/shaved. With all the snow and rain they were pretty nasty and matted. My male dog hates clippers and gets a little snippy and growly when we try and clip him. My female dog could care less. You can do anything to her and she doesn't care. It's been 3 days now and both dogs are still acting very strange. They are both very standoffish, don't want to be held or snuggled whereas before they always were. Even with their sweaters on and the weather being a little warmer, they both keep shaking a lot. My husband and I are concerned that maybe these groomers got a little too rough with them. Any thoughts? I wasn't there to pick them up my daughter did so I don't even know who the girls were that did them.

That doesn't sound right. I would never take my dog back there and I would contact the management and tell them what you told us. good luck keep us posted please.

smts

You clip the hair off your dogs in the winter and then put sweaters on them.

It's not the dog that's acting strange

I would clip the hair off of you and put a sweater on you too if you were all nasty and matted from playing in the snow. But then again I don't know you so maybe you are?

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
They were used to the other groomer. Maybe it is just anxiety like others said. I mean, when you are used to one thing and one day it all changes it can be overwhelming. Taken somewhere else, put in the hands of someone else, this human you aren't familiar with doing personal things to you. Maybe something as simple as the old groomer cooed and baby talk and these are all business? Little things can make a big difference.

I do however understand your concern, don't get me wrong. The acting out with no affection for you may be their way of telling you they disapprove of your actions and they felt abandoned.

So for your peace of mind have them checked out.

:coffee:

ginwoman

I agree with Roman....then you can check on their well being and also the vet can document the behavior.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
smts, if they're still acting strange today, I'd take them to their Vet for a check-up.

This ^^

Just for your own peace of mind, if nothing else. I've never heard of a dog holding a grudge for so long that they'd still be pissed days later. With Apollo, whatever is going on with him right at the moment is all that's going on. He has no real "memory" that he demonstrates, as in he thinks about something he dislikes when it's not actually happening. So if the dogs are acting weird I'd be more inclined to think it's something other than "emotional" trauma from the groomer 3 days ago.

Last edited:

idiganthro

We use Petco in California, not PF. Ms. Joanna does a great job and pup seems none the worse for having visited. Hope your babies get back to normal soon.

smts

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. Obviously to me it was strange behavior for my dogs or I would not have asked the opinion of others. I appreciate all the replies and as Vrai said, it lasted too long for me to think it was just emotional trauma and it was both of them acting that way. I called my vet this morning and spoke to them. She advised to check them over again, make sure no obvious injuries and if they were still this way to bring them in tomorrow. I just got home from work and they seem to be in pretty good spirits. Both of them ran to greet me and give me kisses. My boy went back and laid next to his daddy as he usually likes. My girl is in the corner with her bone so we will see. Again, thank you to all who offered advice, suggestions and opinions. Much appreciated