Today's interest:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People who anthropomorphize (don't you love that word?) their pets.

I am always fully aware that Apollo is a dog. He operates purely on instinct and spur of the moment reaction. His attention span is ridiculously short and his nose rules him like the One Ring. I don't try to reason with him because he is completely unreasonable. The only thing I can do about his school bus frenzy is restrain him so he doesn't get squished.

I also know it's never going to get better, so trying to teach him to think will not have the same result as when I was raising children. Training is not the same as teaching, and reaction control isn't the same thing as conscience and logic. Apollo is a dependent for life who will never have anything resembling common sense.

He doesn't "love" me, he only enjoys the comfort I provide him in the form of physical affection and food. He doesn't think I'm smart or funny or wise or a good person. The good news is that he also doesn't think I have a big butt or am too opinionated.

If he had to choose between me and a stick of pepperoni, he would choose the pepperoni hands down, even if I explained to him that that one stick of pepperoni is it but with me the pepperoni is unlimited. He doesn't understand choices and consequences - all he sees is immediate gratification.

And I'm cool with that. I have humans for human stuff; the dog is my escape from that nonsense. He never ever cares what movie we watch, or if we watch a movie at all. Whatever I want to do is fine. He's never too busy to snuggle or play, nor does he ever get pissed and snub me. We don't argue with each other because he mostly doesn't give a damn.

So it's interesting seeing people who try to relate to their pets as they do humans, with emotion or logic. You'd think they'd be sick of that crap, and interacting with a dog would be a welcome diversion.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
This subject is definitely one of those that is purely based on personal opinion. If thats how you feel about it then thats whats right for you, but...

Remember your pepperoni theory? Claiming to know how he would react? That he doesn't love you, that he only enjoys the comfort you provide him in the form of physical affection and food. What is love then?

Seems while your op was a firm voice in not believing in animals showing some personality and feeling and showing emotions. Yet you seem to be on the fence with this one.

:coffee:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Remember your pepperoni theory? Claiming to know how he would react? That he doesn't love you, that he only enjoys the comfort you provide him in the form of physical affection and food. What is love then?

I'm not sure I understand this question. Are you suggesting that love is merely receiving food and affection? So if someone gave you a Twinkie and hug, you would love them or that means they love you?

As far as the pepperoni theory goes, you are welcome to come over to my house and help me test it. You hold a stick of pepperoni, and I will hold out my arms and call to him - see who he goes to. For a control, we'll switch places and try it that way. I have cash money that says he goes for the pepperoni, regardless of who's holding it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

I am always fully aware that Apollo is a dog. He operates purely on instinct and spur of the moment reaction. His attention span is ridiculously short and his nose rules him like the One Ring. I don't try to reason with him because he is completely unreasonable. The only thing I can do about his school bus frenzy is restrain him so he doesn't get squished.

I also know it's never going to get better, so trying to teach him to think will not have the same result as when I was raising children. Training is not the same as teaching, and reaction control isn't the same thing as conscience and logic. Apollo is a dependent for life who will never have anything resembling common sense.

He doesn't "love" me, he only enjoys the comfort I provide him in the form of physical affection and food. He doesn't think I'm smart or funny or wise or a good person. The good news is that he also doesn't think I have a big butt or am too opinionated.

If he had to choose between me and a stick of pepperoni, he would choose the pepperoni hands down, even if I explained to him that that one stick of pepperoni is it but with me the pepperoni is unlimited. He doesn't understand choices and consequences - all he sees is immediate gratification.

And I'm cool with that. I have humans for human stuff; the dog is my escape from that nonsense. He never ever cares what movie we watch, or if we watch a movie at all. Whatever I want to do is fine. He's never too busy to snuggle or play, nor does he ever get pissed and snub me. We don't argue with each other because he mostly doesn't give a damn.

So it's interesting seeing people who try to relate to their pets as they do humans, with emotion or logic. You'd think they'd be sick of that crap, and interacting with a dog would be a welcome diversion.

My reason would probably be that most animals possess the qualities that I would like to see in people, but don't.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
I'm not sure I understand this question. Are you suggesting that love is merely receiving food and affection? So if someone gave you a Twinkie and hug, you would love them or that means they love you?

As far as the pepperoni theory goes, you are welcome to come over to my house and help me test it. You hold a stick of pepperoni, and I will hold out my arms and call to him - see who he goes to. For a control, we'll switch places and try it that way. I have cash money that says he goes for the pepperoni, regardless of who's holding it.

No, I'm saying to a pet that is how love is defined. Caring for them, treating them well. Wow you do love to rephrase things and stretch.

As for the pepperoni deal. Won't go there, again with enough stretching anyone can change any point. As I said before, if how you feel works for you, fine. Just that not all feel that way.

:coffee:

I thought that interest was when a bank gave you money for a savings account. :confused:

You get interest! Less than inflation.

Puff just doesnt understand big words like bling and dawg, that why he doesnt like us. :coffee:

I like dogs because they always are happy to see us. Sometimes even when they don't know you and you have never given them a thing. Or they might bite you, kind of a toss up. I don't think a human ever bit me.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You get interest! Less than inflation.

I like dogs because they always are happy to see us. Sometimes even when they don't know you and you have never given them a thing. Or they might bite you, kind of a toss up. I don't think a human ever bit me.

Like the visiting dog I had here the other day. So friendly!

As for being bit by a human... my daughter bit me when I took away the doggie treat she was trying to eat instead of giving it to our dog. :lmao:

Like the visiting dog I had here the other day. So friendly!

As for being bit by a human... my daughter bit me when I took away the doggie treat she was trying to eat instead of giving it to our dog. :lmao:

Well report me, but son was famous for that in preschool when someone took away a toy etc. so I did it at home. Took a toy from him and let him bite. I bit back. Not hard at all. Guess what, no more reports.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

You have a big butt?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Okay, speaking for myself (and my dog Lenny) on this.

Lenny is perhaps the smartest dog I've ever met. As a writer, I've used his intelligence as a basis for some entertaining dialog in some of the things I've written which include him. Anthropomorphizing him has actually been hard to resist in practice, but in the written word it works well.

Do animals feel affection, genuine affection? I think they do, for each other as well as for their people. Lenny has always loved to spend time with me (although he has always been partial to the ladies who've spent time with us). His basis for affection has no apparent link with food. And he and Piwackit have affection for each other, despite being different species. It's really cool to see them curled up napping together.

And Piwackit never has to ask me for food - it's always there. Yet she actually celebrates when I get up in the morning, and comes to get my attention when I'm seated here at the computer. These are feelings and emotions.

If I'm wrong on this, I really don't care, and neither do Lenny or Pi. :lol:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I certainly do think dogs feel emotion because every picture I've seen of a dog dressed up in human-like clothing or sitting on Santa's lap etc looks absolutely disgusted by what they're being forced to do.

I've had my border collie for 13 years. He's been with me through thick and thin. I'm Alpha, I'm the reason he still exists, and he has much affection for me as he does all of us because we are his pack; however, he has more affection for my daughter. Why? Because it's her job to feed him. Dogs may feel love, but it's a conditional love, which by most human standards isn't truly love at all. That's just simple conditioning.